Cap Breaches 2010 - 6 clubs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain of the Gate

Reserve Grader
This came from John Brady, NRL's Director of Media & Communication:

The National Rugby League has today outlined Salary Cap breaches against the Wests Tigers, the Gold Coast Titans, the St George Illawarra Dragons, the Parramatta Eels and the Canberra Raiders following the completion of all audits into the 2010 season.

The largest breach notice is in relation to the Wests Tigers, who claimed a ‘long serving player allowance’ contrary to advice from the Salary Cap audit team.

The remaining breaches across four clubs concern the use of second tier players and the categorisation of education grants, accommodation and termination payments.

“The compliance across the vast majority of clubs has been encouraging but the penalties are a reminder that the Salary Cap will be enforced,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“Six clubs were breached last year, most notably the Storm. It is pleasing to see the number down this year but the warning bells for anyone looking to break the rules could not be any louder.

“For the most part we are seeing a genuine wish to comply with the rules from the clubs but this remains an area in which we are always conducting thorough investigations.

“The Salary Cap audit team works incredibly hard to monitor the clubs and deserves considerable recognition for the role it plays in making the Telstra Premiership the closest and most exciting competition in Australian sport.”

The 2010 Salary Cap Breach notices are as follows:

Club & Fine

Wests Tigers
$187,140

Gold Coast Titans
$76,380

Parramatta Eels
$44,988

Canberra Raiders
$31,657

St George Illawarra Dragons
$15,694

The Titans have also been breached a further $2,500 for failing to properly register a Toyota Cup player.

All clubs will have until Friday, May 20, to make submissions to the NRL Chief Executive in relation to the breaches before any penalties are imposed.

Seriously it's time they start deducting points for repeat offenders. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the same teams in the list year in , year out i.e

1st offence 4 points
2nd offence 8 points
3rd offence 16 points

Some of the breaches are not intentional. The rules are not that simple and clear cut, and really you need to hire a genuinely top tier accountant and a forensic accountant to do your own internal auditing. An ex of mine was an auditor for one of the big 4, she didn't even want to touch the stuff and she loved that crap

eagles2win said:
Seriously it's time they start deducting points for repeat offenders. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the same teams in the list year in , year out i.e

1st offence 4 points
2nd offence 8 points
3rd offence 16 points

Problem is that canberra don't have 4 points.

Also I have no problems taking points off for willful disregard of the rules, ie the Tigers example, but making a small inadvertent mistake is another matter and a fine is sufficient I feel.

Rusty said:
eagles2win said:

1st offence 4 points
2nd offence 8 points
3rd offence 16 points

Problem is that canberra don't have 4 points.

Also I have no problems taking points off for willful disregard of the rules, ie the Tigers example, but making a small inadvertent mistake is another matter and a fine is sufficient I feel.

Well Canberra then goes to -2 points

The Gronk said:
the fines should come off the cap for the next year.

I don't think that is viable. Given you plan for your team and cap in several year blocks each time. Therefore that would mean by doing so they would likely automatically beach their cap the following year and the cycle continue.

This way at least it costs them financially and then doesnt start a never ending and potentially damaging cycle

100k six months in advance can be managed, yes it would hurt them, but that is the point. As if a small fine to these financial powerhouse clubs is going to be a disincentive, they need to be hit where it hurts.

not theres a certain INNER INNER city club not on the list.
Brown paper bags are very useful hey nick ;)

Wolfpack said:
Cambo said:
not theres a certain INNER INNER city club not on the list.
Brown paper bags are very useful hey nick ;)

Try EASTERN EASTERN club.

No need to insult the inner city.

I have noticed that the Dragons always seem to be on the list, small or not. So, reading the Hoppa link, has he signed? It seems to have degenerated somewhat!
Good writing by Matabele by the way...He talks sense. F$#k, it should be published in the Tele.

Interesting to see one of these clubs are after a lot of big names and have just signed one. Where is the free money coming from? I suppose Laffranchi has left but the re signed Bailey.

As always St George is on the list. However I'm very surprised and suspiscious of the results. How is it that the Tigers, Raiders and Gold Coast get bigger fines given their playing rosters? Yet St George has the smallest and yet I have the gravest suspisions that they are seriously breaching the cap and that info is either being hidden well by St Goerge or swept under the carpet by the NRL or both. And I'm also suspisious that the Bulldogs havn't been fined.

Anyway as always Manly is the only team in the comp that has NEVER been fined for a salary cap breach. I wonder why? Anyone have any ideas how we manage to always keep our team under the cap?

eelcatcher said:
As always St George is on the list. However I'm very surprised and suspiscious of the results. How is it that the Tigers, Raiders and Gold Coast get bigger fines given their playing rosters? Yet St George has the smallest and yet I have the gravest suspisions that they are seriously breaching the cap and that info is either being hidden well by St Goerge or swept under the carpet by the NRL or both. And I'm also suspisious that the Bulldogs havn't been fined.

Anyway as always Manly is the only team in the comp that has NEVER been fined for a salary cap breach. I wonder why? Anyone have any ideas how we manage to always keep our team under the cap?

Great accountant lol. Maybe players like playing for a great club for a bit less money as we breed success ;)

Have you seen the Brisbane history of cheating. Like a hall of shame 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2003, 2002, 2000....

Knights have great Breach pedigree. 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000. been a while since they over spent. Add a rich new owner, and a coach that likes to over spend. Sportsbet has the knights at $1.20 to breach in 2012.

I think there are degrees with cap breaches. What the Storm and bulldogs did is outright cheating and was punished accordingly. Sometimes stuff happens, you could say clubs should plan for every contingency but that might mean spending a couple of hundred K under your cap each year, just incase and I don't think you want to be doing that.

Disputes over classifications of players, grants for educational purposes of players, I can live with. Its when clubs go outside the rules so they can keep or take players that other clubs can't because they are playing by the rules is where the issues lie. I'd like our game to progress where we get to the level of cap police as they do in American Sports. Clubs are generally allowed to spend more than the cap to a certain limit but they get charged whats called a luxury tax and have to pay back to the league a certain amount (usually dollar for dollar they are over). The comp administrators then direct those funds to the poorer clubs to help them compete with the wealthier ones.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4