Can we ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Copa Eagle

Reserve Grader
Can we sign someone ? Im bored of seeing other clubs sign numerous amounts of players. Im not saying buy everyone, id honestly be over the moon if we sign 1 player, (he doesnt even have to be that good) just sign someone. We have great young players, and i dont doubt there talent or the fact that they will cover positions in the near future, i just want someone, a prop ! does anyone else get this feeling ? Does it mean that we are in a good position or we cant afford anyone.....

I have a feeling we are close to the cap but we did put a good deal on the table for Hoppa before he decided to leave so we should have a bit of cash to spend. Perhaps the money will now be used to retain all our other young guns.

we havent been in the market for a good 2 years ! Our juniors are awesome and maybe Des sees no need to make a signing, which is fair enough, i have faith that the young blokes will do extremely well when given their chance, i just get a feeling we need a prop, we have cunningham, lussick, and stromquist and the rest are getting on with age, i just want a signing, i guess it would give me a sense of belief that we are still an attractive club to come too, which atm doesnt seem to be due to the fact we havent signed anyone in a long time.

i would like to know weather were an attractive club to come too, the players you mention in Foran,Robinson and Harrison are fantastic young players, my question is would you come to Manly ? what i want is a good signing, a good young prop ! i may get my head bitten off but its just how i see it.

We are saving our money for 2013 when we buy Hargreaves and Tasi back from the rooters.

I think the fact that we haven't signed anyone is an achievement rather than something to be disappointed about. It shows we have the right people and the right system in place at junior recruitment level.

I would be over the moon if we don't sign anyone for the next 10 years if the reason is because our juniors are so good we don't have to!

I had this conversation a little while ago and it boiled down to "where are (?) we light on depth at present", "Who would fit that role that may be available?", "what would they cost?" and "who would you let go to cover the expense?"

please dont think that i doubt any of our young talent, i just believe a young signing of a prop would be awesome. My question hasnt been answered yet, is Manly still an attractive clubs for players to come to ?

MadMarcus said:
I think the fact that we haven't signed anyone is an achievement rather than something to be disappointed about. It shows we have the right people and the right system in place at junior recruitment level.

I would be over the moon if we don't sign anyone for the next 10 years if the reason is because our juniors are so good we don't have to!

Totally agree MadMarcus. Not having to sign players from other clubs is a luxury other clubs can only dream of. By doing well to groom players such a DCE, Foran, Buhrer and even Ballin, Choc and the Stewart brothers we have built up a great squad without the need to look elsewhere.

Gone are the days where we were so light on that we simply HAD to buy the likes on Kennedy and Lyon. Sure if our juniors dont perform then by all means we'll have to look elsewhere, but at the moment buying players would simply result in us having people on our roster superfluous to our needs.

Think of it this way, would you rather be the sharks signing every player that goes on the market i.e. Jeff Robson, Tim Smith, Wade Graham, Colin Best, Jeremy Smith...No thanks.

Phantar said:
You'd rather we were like Souths, Copa? Millions spent attracting big names and nothing to show for it?

no im not saying that, ive stated through this whole thread that 1 signing of a young prop would be ideal. It is great that we can spend less and get better out of our players, i just believe we need a prop, King (slowing down) Kite (slown down) Joe (Old but great guns) Robinson (Very effective) Rose (Slow, injuries) if we can get a young prop it would be ideal.

If theres a signing id like it would have to be Ryan James and some
random junior prop,the junior would probably be from the warriors

Kite/King/Both ESL thx for the memories and good luck

The Eagle said:
If theres a signing id like it would have to be Ryan James and some
random junior prop,the junior would probably be from the warriors

Kite/King/Both ESL thx for the memories and good luck

Exactly, theyre towards then end of their careers, Kite more so ! In saying that im happy he has stayed but i hope he shows his worth, buy resigning Kite we could lose out in buying a young prop.

Speculation, but within the past 12 months:-

Brent Kite recently re-signed
Jason King is about to re-sign
Kieran Foran re-signed long term (I'm sure others were after him)
Steve Matai re-signed
Daly Cherry-Evans re-signed
Liam Foran signed
Daniel Harrison decided to re-sign with us
Tim Robinson signed
Hoppa has stated he wants to return to us
Des has clearly stated he wants to remain

+ Now, Lowey has a 2 million sponsor coming on board (jersey front)
+ Centrebet signed (jersey back)
+ We are equal second
+ Players are being cheeky (ALA 2008)
+ Narrabeen lets face it is fantastic

I reckon we'd be a pretty attractive place to be around.

IF, we could get the right head of the ship (Perry I have faith in)
IF, we could improve the corporate facilities
IF, we could get over the injuries plagueing us

We would be the one of the blue chip squads, and a dominant force for years to come.

Don't worry dude, as I have always said, this playing group from 1-25 is awesome. Get the other piece of the puzzle right, and BOOM. Premiership - again.

Also, building from within breeds culture. Don't under estimate our youthful forward stocks. People unfairly critique Kite and co. in my opinion. We are better than most say. ****, even Tony Williams is becoming a real asset in the front row !!

Ryan James or GTFO,noone in the front row stocks of the entire NRL is nearly as damaging as that bloke,i giggled to myself watching him as i flashed back to my days as a junior

"OMFG That ****er definatly shaves"
It was then i realised "herpderp,you shave to but he is a big ****er"

Ryan,i dont think Cross and Mauro are great at all,im befuddled that they are still hanging around,im shocked that Mauro got named in the 18man squad for the next game,that said i think we have atleast 21 top notch players

FFS we have a kid whos holding a former SoO and Kangaroo off the field

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4