Called to Des's Office: first up Monday morning for a chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From what I understand of the video sessions after games is, that Des highlights errors and breakdowns.
The players involved are asked to stand up and say what they did wrong and How would they rectify it next time.
Will be a good learning curve for cade.

From what I understand of the video sessions after games is, that Des highlights errors and breakdowns.
The players involved are asked to stand up and say what they did wrong and How would they rectify it next time.
Will be a good learning curve for cade.

"I plead the 5th, your Honour"

*sits back down*

A couple of the passes he tried to pull off were never really on and even the best halves that have played the game would not have made them. I suspect our dominance in the middle and big lead played a part in him trying for those miracles. So long as he doesn't try it in the big games when things are close.

Yeah ... great thread ... let's all turn into dickheads and start bagging good young players after 6 FG games ... better still ... let's get them down at the Corso for a public name and shame .....

Hell .. Croker has played 11 FG games and Cust 6 .... they should both be as good as Thurston and mistake free by now .... STONE THEM !!!!
Read the original post Woodsie, instead of always looking to incite an argument here. I didn't bag Cust. I just suspect he needs a word from Des and for Des to tell him not to get ahead of himself. As I said he's a future legend. No need to twist and hijack the posts just so you can embark on yet another tedious little irrelevant Woodsie rant.

Read the original post Woodsie, instead of always looking to incite an argument here. I didn't bag Cust. I just suspect he needs a word from Des and for Des to tell him not to get ahead of himself. As I said he's a future legend. No need to twist and hijack the posts just so you can embark on yet another tedious little irrelevant Woodsie rant.

Sorry ... no time for misery .... still celebrating a great win ...... whoop whoop whoop .... only one win out of the top 4 ...... I won't think about bagging young blokes until tomorrow ....

Sorry ... no time for misery .... still celebrating a great win ...... whoop whoop whoop .... only one win out of the top 4 ...... I won't think about bagging young blokes until tomorrow ....
Nothing miserable here W. Simply a suggestion that a guiding word from Des to a future star could be timely. Let it go.

Undoubtedly, a game he would not consider to be a highlight in his career and one he would rather forget. I was not challenging that, what I was insinuating is; can you name an immortal or one of these highly praised players throughout the lifetime of the NRL that have never had a shocker? The kid is still a pup, with time I do believe he will be a gun half for us, albeit, a few average games until he gets experience under his belt and a good coach like Des to give him the direction he needs.
Sir Jamie Lyon never had one bad game in his life and if he did it was someone elses fault... ;)

lol

Des singled out Cust and Elliott in his presser for praise. So I doubt they will be "called in".

As Des says, A lot of 'rep' players backing up, didn't even have the team train together until the captains run. Should have been better in the second half, but will happily take the win.

So take that you rhubarb junket pots! - yes, Des said that.

(Though what he says or 'yells' behind closed doors is anyone's guess.)
Hmmm. But why? Elliot did nothing and cust had his worst game. Tactics to confuse the masses but the initiated know it was code for there gonna get a spanking hitherto undreamt of

Yeah ... great thread ... let's all turn into dickheads and start bagging good young players after 6 FG games ... better still ... let's get them down at the Corso for a public name and shame .....

Hell .. Croker has played 11 FG games and Cust 6 .... they should both be as good as Thurston and mistake free by now .... STONE THEM !!!!
I agree, only somebody who has a personal problem would have an issue with how Cust is developing. He has all the makings of a generational half for us. He just looks and plays like a footballer. a few mistakes here and there but he is a cocky scheming half which is exactly what you want, they are the best kind. That kid is seriuosly on the up. I am happy to proclaim he is our new permanent half. This year feels so much like the original rebuild Des did in 2004/5. Tonnes of great young jnr's coming in to the side and performing like seasoned first graders. I couldn't be happier with all of our players, there actually isn't a bad one out there these days.

I don't have a personal problem or an issue with how Cust is developing Conanu. On the contrary if you read my original post I state that Cust is a future legend. So how is that having a "personal problem"? All I reckon is he could be getting ahead of himself and a quiet word from Des would be helpful in redirecting his focus.

I agree, only somebody who has a personal problem would have an issue with how Cust is developing. He has all the makings of a generational half for us. He just looks and plays like a footballer. a few mistakes here and there but he is a cocky scheming half which is exactly what you want, they are the best kind. That kid is seriuosly on the up. I am happy to proclaim he is our new permanent half. This year feels so much like the original rebuild Des did in 2004/5. Tonnes of great young jnr's coming in to the side and performing like seasoned first graders. I couldn't be happier with all of our players, there actually isn't a bad one out there these days.

and the reality is a good coach like Dessie would praise the kid for trying his hand ... and telling him to keep doing it ... experience will soon teach him the lessons of when to play them and when to hold them .... rather than some supposed carpeting for errors ......

Monas should be a big help in developing Cust "s game also and to gain some better consistency . Signs do seem good , has a natural confidence and not afraid to take on the line , good range of skills, measuring up O K in defence . Not to say that Croker can not offer some fair dickum competition going forward but Cust should be up to any challenge and for more self improvement .

I am sure that young Cust is very unhappy with some of the passes he tried to throw during the second half and if he had his time again he would not throw them. It is a question of balance and I expect that the last thing Des wants to do is to adversely affect the boy's confidence. I didn't understand this thread to mean that he was be castigated by the coach. He was not alone in the second half and that is something I expect that Des is desperately trying to get out of their game. To be honest I was really pleased with the win and two competition points but was really frustrated by the second half. Once our boys are self disciplined and focused for 80 minutes they will be very hard to beast. So not withstanding that second half I as very excited about the remainder of this season.

He has all the makings of a generational half for us. He just looks and plays like a footballer. a few mistakes here and there but he is a cocky scheming half which is exactly what you want, they are the best kind. That kid is seriuosly on the up. I am happy to proclaim he is our new permanent half.

Great post, I love watching him play and he's got a hell of a lot of improvement in him.

I am sure that young Cust is very unhappy with some of the passes he tried to throw during the second half and if he had his time again he would not throw them. It is a question of balance and I expect that the last thing Des wants to do is to adversely affect the boy's confidence. I didn't understand this thread to mean that he was be castigated by the coach. He was not alone in the second half and that is something I expect that Des is desperately trying to get out of their game. To be honest I was really pleased with the win and two competition points but was really frustrated by the second half. Once our boys are self disciplined and focused for 80 minutes they will be very hard to beast. So not withstanding that second half I as very excited about the remainder of this season.

Whilst I agree Cade is most likely unhappy with the result of some of his passes ... Dessie would be rapt that he is trying his arm ... if a a young half isn't learning and pushing his boundaries he won't improve .... I hope he keeps doing it ....

Take Maloney for example ... this year he has stats of ... 54 missed tackles out of just over 250 attempted ..12 errors and 23 penalties .. shocking numbers .... but there is no other 5/8 in the comp I would want if I had a Grandfinal to play tomorrow ......

Just brush them off and go again Cade ...... he will not go to the next level by being cautious and playing within himself ....

Spot on Tragic Eagles. Killer post. You stand pretty much alone here in understanding the intent behind my original post.

Halfbacks

Everyone of us that ever played footy, in the lounge, yard , or a field was a halfback. Black , white, fat , skinny , boy , girl , we were all half backs on day one. Because we all wanted the ball and wanted to influence the game

Over the years, coaches, athletic ability, body shapes for many reasons players are given the 6 or 7 and others ply there trades elsewhere

But the overwhelming attribute of a half is that when the games is on , they want they ball, they want to influence the outcome and they demand to be the centre of attention

Cust looks to have this attibute and seems to have the character thus far to pull it off. Being able to go again after making the error is key. I love this about cade

To be honest its the ingredient that out current 7 lacks . Chez seems to cherrish the clutch play in field goal opportunities but seems to go missing in other clutch times

His desire to get his hands on the ball to kick a winning field goal is legendary btw, thats his thing is seems. The michael bevan of manly maybe.

Anyway chez needs a partner and out of elgey, hodko, croker and cust he seems to have the most tools in his playbook and right now thats whats important

Halfbacks

Everyone of us that ever played footy, in the lounge, yard , or a field was a halfback. Black , white, fat , skinny , boy , girl , we were all half backs on day one. Because we all wanted the ball and wanted to influence the game

Over the years, coaches, athletic ability, body shapes for many reasons players are given the 6 or 7 and others ply there trades elsewhere

But the overwhelming attribute of a half is that when the games is on , they want they ball, they want to influence the outcome and they demand to be the centre of attention

Cust looks to have this attibute and seems to have the character thus far to pull it off. Being able to go again after making the error is key. I love this about cade

To be honest its the ingredient that out current 7 lacks . Chez seems to cherrish the clutch play in field goal opportunities but seems to go missing in other clutch times

His desire to get his hands on the ball to kick a winning field goal is legendary btw, thats his thing is seems. The michael bevan of manly maybe.

Anyway chez needs a partner and out of elgey, hodko, croker and cust he seems to have the most tools in his playbook and right now thats whats important
The other great thing about Cust is he's always organising the boys on the left, he's always talking and setting up the left side as an option. Nothing worse than a half who knows its not coming his way so just stands by and offers no threat. The old saying says always run as if you're expecting the ball, Cust does this. He sets up as if he is expecting the ball and it creates headaches for the defence. Chez needs a go getter type half, someone to take the pressure off him and Cust is the man. His stats 'per game' would be up there with the best halves in the game in regards to tries, try assists etc and for a rookie it is an awesome sign

It's a funny thing, that a young half at Rep level, can be ripped off the field for using instincts playing what they see....as a coach the players selected for the job are there for a reason...they according to coach and staff, are the preferred option, so you need to trust the players ability and vision to play the moment....if a player is cobbled and restricted to 100% structure, you never would see what separates them from other players and would never reach their full potential.
The way I see it, IF I am coaching a football team at ANY level, I would expect that player to use his natural vision and skill set and feel of the game, to use their ability and instincts at that moment....if the player was erratic and throwing chancy passes all day this would be very different and that player will be peeling oranges or getting bench splinters.
In fact, when you have 2 great defensive footy teams who are evenly matched, the game is often broken open and won on the back of a moment of unpredictability from a Thurston, Mitchell, Turbo type....it would be a sad day if players of this quality were told to only ever play a robotic structured game and though Cust is not up with these players just yet, the only way we will ever see his true ability is to allow him to play footy and become as good as he can be...

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7