Buy it OR Build it ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There are plenty of ppl wanting some big name signings and let me confess....I hear ya and with all the players leaving would have expected "something"....
Here's the thing though, there are a host of quality players who "did not" really feature in 2020 and are probably Better than the signings we crave....no particular order.

1 - Tom T - I rate him in the Elite 5 players in the game - Dynamite player - the ONLY issue - can he get through a season ??
2 - Schuster - Top shelf potential who will be 1 of the most dominant players in the game.
3 - Ben Turbo - Big rangy pedigree player, who WILL make his debut in 2021 and will add needed thrust on those edges.
4 - Suli - The big bloke will look super with the injection of a few extra class players - watch him explode in 2021.
5 - Fainu - A quality footy player, who is a good show to start the 2021 season - imo the key to the season.
6 - Walker - Has lost some explosive pace, but still very dangerous and with more opportunity could be a strike centre again.
7 - Foran - Will bring a heap of experience and quality - old legs, old head - but a bloke to lift the entire squad.

Looking at this and being realistic, the backs are great and the aquisition of Saab, will be a Red hot backline (at full strength)
The loss of AFB and Thommo leaves us a hole in the middle, where 1 powerhouse forward would fill the puzzle and the improved Paseka is vital to supporting Kapau....is there a player in the sights ??
There are a few other youngsters looking to claim a spot in the 17, maybe a year or 2 away...who may press for a spot in the 17...

Provided a good run with minimal injuries, the team will be far different and better than 2020.

Do we need many more buys, or can we build it with the above ??

It seems to me that Melbourne do both.
They have no juniors so they have to buy their players. The difference is that they are astute enough to buy them before they are established first graders, and they 'build' them into good players who fit into a team mould.
Whatever Melbourne's 'system' is it works. So clubs would be wiser to concentrate on trying to copy that magic formula than poaching expensive players.

There are plenty of ppl wanting some big name signings and let me confess....I hear ya and with all the players leaving would have expected "something"....
Here's the thing though, there are a host of quality players who "did not" really feature in 2020 and are probably Better than the signings we crave....no particular order.

1 - Tom T - I rate him in the Elite 5 players in the game - Dynamite player - the ONLY issue - can he get through a season ??
2 - Schuster - Top shelf potential who will be 1 of the most dominant players in the game.
3 - Ben Turbo - Big rangy pedigree player, who WILL make his debut in 2021 and will add needed thrust on those edges.
4 - Suli - The big bloke will look super with the injection of a few extra class players - watch him explode in 2021.
5 - Fainu - A quality footy player, who is a good show to start the 2021 season - imo the key to the season.
6 - Walker - Has lost some explosive pace, but still very dangerous and with more opportunity could be a strike centre again.
7 - Foran - Will bring a heap of experience and quality - old legs, old head - but a bloke to lift the entire squad.

Looking at this and being realistic, the backs are great and the aquisition of Saab, will be a Red hot backline (at full strength)
The loss of AFB and Thommo leaves us a hole in the middle, where 1 powerhouse forward would fill the puzzle and the improved Paseka is vital to supporting Kapau....is there a player in the sights ??
There are a few other youngsters looking to claim a spot in the 17, maybe a year or 2 away...who may press for a spot in the 17...

Provided a good run with minimal injuries, the team will be far different and better than 2020.

Lots of IF’s in there , and that’s the trouble.

IF they all play and IF they don’t get injured and only play 3 games you’d be dead right.

BUT to me it’s not just IF one player has these issues we have a lot of very big IF’S on that lot.

So the answer is , we still need to buy a few.

A winger who can really play fullback.

An actual hooker because we currently don’t even have ONE.

And we’ve lost AFB / Thommo and replaced then with Davey , yeah there’s another IF!!

Did I miss some news .... he won't start the season ... unless Imissed the announcement

More broadly speaking its a bit of both. However I like your points about players who didn’t feature and I agree.

I think we need a 9 as priority to compete (would love the cheese) and feel Tuponua would be a massive get if that were possible.

We need a replacement for AFB who is of similar standing. His leaving was poor form. Making excuses when the real reason was he wanted more folding.

Problem is it's slim pickings out there so we may just have to use Jake. This would be much smarter than spending money for the sake of it.

We lost AFB, but Paseka and Olak are beginning to show their worth and then coming through the ranks is Sione Fainu, said to be one of THE top forwards coming through the NRL junior ranks and he's 21. Experience is the only thing we lack. Maybe need a Kennedy type. Except for the wings I think our backline is developing nicely

Lots of IF’s in there , and that’s the trouble.

IF they all play and IF they don’t get injured and only play 3 games you’d be dead right.

BUT to me it’s not just IF one player has these issues we have a lot of very big IF’S on that lot.

So the answer is , we still need to buy a few.

A winger who can really play fullback.

An actual hooker because we currently don’t even have ONE.

And we’ve lost AFB / Thommo and replaced then with Davey , yeah there’s another IF!!
The Fainu situation is more than a hunch, but will let this 'IF' play out on here, as there are a few twists and turns with the situation.
You are 100% right on the Forward situation and that's exactly what I posted regarding AFB and Thommo.....the bloke from Roosters would be ideal, if possible - maybe wishful thinking ??
The scary part is the injury rate of some of the above, which unfortunately, can find a way of repeating itself and that is the concept of the thread, as there is plenty of risk yet reward relying on the above players.

The Fainu situation is more than a hunch, but will let this 'IF' play out on here, as there are a few twists and turns with the situation.
You are 100% right on the Forward situation and that's exactly what I posted regarding AFB and Thommo.....the bloke from Roosters would be ideal, if possible - maybe wishful thinking ??
The scary part is the injury rate of some of the above, which unfortunately, can find a way of repeating itself and that is the concept of the thread, as there is plenty of risk yet reward relying on the above players.

Remember Turbo is yet to play a complete season.

Everyone can cop an injury , and it’s not their fault BUT he’s an injury magnet , he attracts injuries from almost nowhere.

I think we need a winger who can play and wants to be a fullback because I fear our million dollar man will just continue to sit mostly on the sidelines.

But boy I do hope I’m wrong!!

• 👍
Reactions: Kez
Remember Turbo is yet to play a complete season.

Everyone can cop an injury , and it’s not their fault BUT he’s an injury magnet , he attracts injuries from almost nowhere.

I think we need a winger who can play and wants to be a fullback because I fear our million dollar man will just continue to sit mostly on the sidelines.

But boy I do hope I’m wrong!!
All valid Mark....I just HOPE we get some luck on the injury front...it's either a crazy, stupid off field incident, OR major injuries that have really crippled us the past decade...ilkely would have challenged for an extra 1-2 Premierships.

All valid Mark....I just HOPE we get some luck on the injury front...it's either a crazy, stupid off field incident, OR major injuries that have really crippled us the past decade...ilkely would have challenged for an extra 1-2 Premierships.
Dylan Walker is another injury magnet as well , don’t think he’s played a full season since he copped that bad injury in PNG.

Nailed it... all we need is a little luck.

Nailed it... all we need is a little luck.
And some love from a few in here! Whoever plays next year is playing for our club & therefore should be fully supported, given a chance & not bagged at every opportunity. All they can do is play to their ability & if not good enough then give someone else a go. There are many ‘if’s’ but hopefully we have a couple of seasons with less injuries & a ‘fair’ go from the referees in order to show what I think many of our players are capable of. Our team at full strength is more than capable of matching it with the top 4.......imagine having DCE, Foran, Schuster, Tom, Walker, Suli all firing!!!! That’s a scary proposition for any team! Then add into the equation possibly Saab, Fusitua, a back to form Garrick, Brbo & Hoppa!!!! Depth with Cust, Parker, Funa, Harper, Taufua! Our forward pack will not be one that’ll get trampled by anyone.....Paseka, Marty, Jake, Siro, Keppie, Olakau’atu, Gosiewski, Davey, Sipley, Boyle plus the up & comers, possibly Garner &/or Toupanoa???? Hopefully Fainu back? Like you said Kev....some luck & love & top 4 awaits us in 2021. I believe in our team!!!

Last edited:

Great post Sexy Maxy
What the experts predicted last season was that we would compete for the title this season if we stayed healthy as they raised concerns with our back up players and in the past Arko made sure we had depth having 3 international hookers in Krillich , Grey and Brown in the squad ;)

The pathetic tall poppies used to go off when Arko used to raid other clubs and in more brutal ways than the Roosters are doing now , Unlike the Roosters who get one big name player from each club The great Arko would be like Al Capone who ruthlessly walked in to clubs without a balaclava and strip all their core players in front of their eyes and wives .
The legendary Arko showed no mercy but only love for Manly !!!

The legendary Arko did not only have underworld money connections he also had a great eye to spot talent . Unknown players like The incomparable Immortal and greatest player ever Fulton , The Legendary Eadie and great players like Vautin .

Our God father had it all and was the reason he made Manly the Greatest club of all !!!

If you cant beat them then Buy the Bastards
Love you Arko :h:
The_Godfather_movie_logo.png

Great post Sexy Maxy
What the experts predicted last season was that we would compete for the title this season if we stayed healthy as they raised concerns with our back up players and in the past Arko made sure we had depth having 3 international hookers in Krillich , Grey and Brown in the squad ;)

The pathetic tall poppies used to go off when Arko used to raid other clubs and in more brutal ways than the Roosters are doing now , Unlike the Roosters who get one big name player from each club The great Arko would be like Al Capone who ruthlessly walked in to clubs without a balaclava and strip all their core players in front of their eyes and wives .
The legendary Arko showed no mercy but only love for Manly !!!

The legendary Arko did not only have underworld money connections he also had a great eye to spot talent . Unknown players like The incomparable Immortal and greatest player ever Fulton , The Legendary Eadie and great players like Vautin .

Our God father had it all and was the reason he made Manly the Greatest club of all !!!

If you cant beat them then Buy the Bastards
Love you Arko :h:
View attachment 15812
I don't think many on here would have a problem with a club having the capability to buy a competition if the same rules applied to all teams.

It's the blatant inconsistency that most people can't cop. The kind that saw Manly unable to re-sign a club legend in Glen Stewart because the contract was deemed to be under market value. The crippling of our salary cap for two seasons because a third party agreement breached the arms length criteria. Snake and Matai being denied medical retirements while Choc, Burgess and Inglis (who is on the cusp of playing again) get approved. West's being shafted over an ambassador role for Farrah while Tevita Pangai and the Broncos more obvious breach is swept under the magic carpet of NRL diversion. Changing the shoulder charge rule so Billy Slater can play in a GF. The list goes on and it's not just our club being effected.

We are presumed to be feckwits! One rule should apply to all teams... then fans can hate the richer clubs like they did us back in the 70's and 80's when they openly buy a premiership. Stop feeding us it's a salary cap era because the whole narrative that Politis etc just do it better is horse sh1t. And many of us won't swallow their horse mate.

Last edited:
I don't think many on here would have a problem with a club having the capability to buy a competition if the same rules applied to all teams.

It's the blatant inconsistency that most people can't cop. The kind that saw Manly unable to re-sign a club legend in Glen Stewart because the contract was deemed to be but under market value. The crippling of our salary cap for two seasons because a third party agreement breached the arms length criteria. Snake and Matai being denied medical retirements while Choc, Burgess and Inglis (who is on the cusp of playing again) get approved. West's being shafted over an ambassador role for Farrah while Tevita Pangai and the Broncos more obvious breach is swept under the magic carpet of NRL diversion. Changing the shoulder charge rule so Billy Slater can play in a GF. The list goes on and it's not just our club being effected.

We are presumed to be feckwits! One rule should apply to all teams... then fans can hate the richer clubs like they did us back in the 70's and 80's when they openly buy a premiership. Stop feeding us it's a salary cap era because the whole narrative that Politis etc just do it better is horse sh1t. And many of us won't swallow their horse mate.
I dont see it that way feathered friend
There is one set of rules
But
There are also two types of people
The clever people that rule the rules and the mediocre people.

Team next season should look something like this

Tom
Saab
Walker
Suli
Hoppa
Foran
Dce
Jake
Cust (fainu if possible)
Marty
Olakau'atu
Sironen
Schuster

14. Buy a utility (cust depending on fainu)
15. Keppie
16. Paseka
17. Jetski

Back line back ups
Parker
Harper
Jorge (i have a feeling he will start :( )
Miski
Burbo

We need to buy another prop, 2nd rower and a hooker. I dont know what decent props are out there. I was hoping for hetherington.. oh boy he stuffed up going to the dogs. Tupouniua has been mentioned as a target and would be a massive inclusion for us. So yeah question is do we buy more or build on what we have. We have a great foundation and with foran and Schuster our attack will come alive.

Last edited:
I kind of see it like this, so far:

Andrew Davey > Corey Waddell (position 17)
Kieran Foran > Lachlan Croker (position 14)
Manase Fainu > Danny Levi (position 9)
Jason Saab > Jorge Taufua (position 2)
Josh Schuster > Cade Cust, Lachlan Croker (position 6)
Dylan Walker > Brad Parker (position 4)
Tom Trbojevic > Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick (position 1)
Taniela Paseka < Addin Fonua-Blake (position 8)

All upgrades, with likely some exciting news coming (not even included below):

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Dylan Walker
04. Moses Suli
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Josh Schuster
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Manase Fainu
10. Marty Taupau
11. Jack Gosiewski