Bulldogs unlimited salary cap??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
If its true this mob is chasing Graham from England for massive dollars we need to talk to this miracle accountant. Amongst holding onto Idris (commanding $400,000 + per season)  & recently signing Hodgkinson (at inflated price), Keating, Pritchard(who was on huge money at Penrith), Eastwood (turned down mass offer from super league), Tolman  (highly rated & come at a price). Amazing book keeping or can anyone else smell a ratdog here??

Maybe great management but they appear to still have hopes on keeping Idris. Even without him & Tandy some odd sums if you go through the  Pups entire squad - & add Graham on top of it.

They were trying to get Ryan to retire before the start of this season because they were having problems with the cap restrictions, that all seems to have been swept under the carpet.  They have an amazing roster of players they bought and had to outbid other teams for.  Struggle to believe they are under the cap but they are one of the nrl's sweethearts clubs so it is not a drama for them.

they backend contracts & on last year they backend the backend to the backend, there you go creative accounting

Hodgson is getting pretty old cant imagine he would be on much coming back from super league

Fluffy link said:
Hodgson is getting pretty old cant imagine he would be on much coming back from super league
All updated now thx Fluffy.......

Until the IC bring in some sort of grading/points system for player value and outside independent auditors then all bets are off with the cap.  Gallop won't do a thing. 

DSM5 link said:
Until the IC bring in some sort of grading/points system for player value and outside independent auditors then all bets are off with the cap.  Gallop won't do a thing. 

It sounds good until you ask, who values who. Its just another system that can be bent by people in charge

Recent years have seen Kimmorley, Patten and Hannant go.

They have non of the games top money earners.

bob dylan link said:

Kimmorley & Patten would be on not much more than Pritchard, Eastwood, Ennis, Morris, Stagg, Tolman, Roberts or Hodgkinson individually - add your bobcat Ryan & even backups Payne, Halatau, Paea & Millington on more than the average reserve. Then Idris -who they still lay claim too & start talking to the most costly pom in England. Back end contracts & Hannants still dont add up for me.....

Matt K link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=187338.msg331016#msg331016 date=1302050110]

Kimmorley & Patten would be on not much more than Pritchard, Eastwood, Ennis, Morris, Stagg, Tolman, Roberts or Hodgkinson individually - add your bobcat Ryan & even backups Payne, Halatau, Paea & Millington on more than the average reserve. Then Idris -who they still lay claim too & start talking to the most costly pom in England. Back end contracts & Hannants still dont add up for me.....
[/quote]

Thats fair enough logic in some ways, but you must concede that many fans from other teams go on about Manly having the best accountants in the NRL.

Wehave two top liners in Watmough and Lyon. Then Kite, Stewart x2, Matai, King, Foran, Wolfman and Ballin all commanding the price of current origin and tests players.

Then throw in the likes of Tony Williams, Robbo, Rodney,  Gulavao, Hopoate, Rose etc etc.

Let be fair and reasonable.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=Matt K link=topic=187338.msg331018#msg331018 date=1302051746]

[/quote]

Thats fair enough logic in some ways, but you must concede that many fans from other teams go on about Manly having the best accountants in the NRL.

Wehave two top liners in Watmough and Lyon. Then Kite, Stewart x2, Matai, King, Foran, Wolfman and Ballin all commanding the price of current origin and tests players.

Then throw in the likes of Tony Williams, Robbo, Rodney,  Gulavao, Hopoate, Rose etc etc.

Let be fair and reasonable.
[/quote]

However, we couldn't afford to buy 8 players for this season. Unless we get rid of Kite I don't think we'll be able to afford to buy anyone for a couple of years at least. The Bulldogs bought 8 players in 2008 (for 2009) after they freed up some money from the loss of SBW. That seemed a little dodgy in itself but he did command a lot of money. Then, in 2010 they bought another 8 players after losing Kimmorley, Hannett, Patten and El Masri (in 2009). Now, when you look at these names you could see how they can afford it but I still don't think that 16 players (nearly a whole new team) can be bought for the same money as 5 losses (2 of whom were bought with SBW money).

Even if they are under the cap I find it funny that they are constantly buying players. Shows you how good our juniors and recruitment program is here at Manly.

Matt K link said:

[/quote]

As a rule halfbacks get paid a lot more than just about every other position and kimmorley was on plenty, and eventhough the Dogs have paid hodkinson a lot more than we were willing too he is probably in the bottom few paid no 7s in the league along with DCE and Jeff Robson.  I'd say they are saving quite a bit of money on what they are paying their halves compared to what most NRL clubs are paying their no 6s & 7s.

I doubt some of those backups you mentioned would be on real good money.  They've probably got some heavily weighted bonuses if they pay a lot of first grade games but I doubt they'd be anywhere near 200k per year.

It was reported that the dogs paid Hodkinson 270k per season, I remember Des saying it was a good offer and wished him well.
He's probably on a mid range contract for an NRL half.

It's turning out that DCE might be a very astute purchase.

It all matters little. the storms recruitment is just as dubious as the dogs. 2 fine upstanding NRL teams right there.

manlyborn link said:
It was reported that the dogs paid Hodkinson 270k per season, I remember Des saying it was a good offer and wished him well.
He's probably on a mid range contract for an NRL half.

It's turning out that DCE might be a very astute purchase.

I heard 220k and we could only or were prepared to offer 120k.

I doubt DCE will last his full contract.  If he kicks on as we hope he does he'll be upgraded well and truly before it finishes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7