Buderus anoints Gidley as Knights No.9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
By James MacSmith and Ben Horne
AAP

Retired Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus says Kurt Gidley is the man to fill his dummy-half role for the Knights next NRL season.

Gidley has been plagued with injury in recent years, playing 19 games in the past two NRL seasons.

But the former NSW and Australian representative utility shapes up as a key player for a Knights outfit in 2014 without the services of club great Buderus - if he can stay fit.

With 2013 back-up hooker Craig Gower also retired, much could depend on how Gidley performs full-time in the No.9 role and Buderus believes he is up to it.

"We need him to get through the season," Buderus told AAP.

"He brings so much to us and we need him out there a lot of the time and that'll balance everything out for us if he stays in there and has got some options.

Buderus said hooker Adam Clydesdale would be a long-term Knights player, and Travis Waddell helped give the team depth.

"Kurt's just got to look after himself. Kurt chases everything, he's just so energetic.

"So it's about playing within himself a little bit and making sure everyone helps him out with line speed and he doesn't try and make any of those tackles I did in that last game."

A leg injury kept 31-year-old Gidley on the sidelines for much of 2013, while a shoulder complaint ruled him out of much of the season before.

But Buderus is confident the 206-game NRL veteran can put those worries behind him.

"He's a pretty resilient guy, Kurt," Buderus said.

"He can keep himself up and he's a strong character mentally."

Buderus' celebrated 257-game NRL career ended when he was knocked out attempting a first-half tackle on Jared Waerea-Hargreaves in the Knights' grand final qualifier loss to premiers the Sydney Roosters.

But the 35-year-old said he has no regrets.

"Just sometimes you get a big flashback of it and go, `How did that happen, last game?'" he said.

"That's footy. It's a game of inches sometimes and one way either way it would have been a successful tackle.

"But wasn't to be."

gee i hope he stays fit, 'cause apparently nsw def def definitely need him according to no one in nsw except the selectors and gidley's mum, I assume.

globaleagle said:
gee i hope he stays fit, 'cause apparently nsw def def definitely need him according to no one in nsw except the selectors and gidley's mum, I assume.

Plenty of people in Qld think Gidley's Mum is a selector.

mozgrame said:
globaleagle said:

Ahhh, so one could say...Gidley's mum is a rig(ger) of games!

globaleagle said:
mozgrame said:
globaleagle said:

Ahhh, so one could say...Gidley's mum is a rig(ger) of games!
Yeah you coouulld....but I wouldn't like big tough Gid's to grab me, drag me halfway across the field and throw me over the sideline.

(shiver)

Just on a side note, one of the guys credited with writing this article travels under the name - James MacSmith. If that isn't a made up on the spot aka, then I've never heard one. Haha! Someone obviously didn't want credit for this article.

Note : James MacSmith (if that is your real name) Great article mate, I love your work! :)

I'm not convinced about this modern trend of players anointing each other. Bonding sessions becoming more intimate? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6