BSB this morning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
Like the vast majority on here, the only knowledge I have of this whole situation is what I've obtained from various news snippets. This morning on BSB, Andrew Webster stated that the deal with Canterbury was not finalized GF week, as was widely reported, but was done half way through the season.

He also said it was his understanding that the club had tried to negotiate an extension with Des on a number of occasions through the year only for Des to put it off, possibly because the deal was already done.

Finally, he suggested that Hasler had surrounded himself with people that were able to paint the board in a worse light than what was perhaps actually the case. He even implied that maybe the whole saga had been choreographed by Des and Canterbury to obtain the early release that has now come about.

Now I believe as much as the next Eagles fan that the board has some questions to answer, but if any of the above has any truth to it (and how much of it you believe is up to the individual) maybe the board have had less to do with inflaming this situation than first thought.

That seems far fetched. Although, if someone told me 6 months ago that all this was going to happen i would have laughed. I wouldn't be too surprised if it is true. Surprisingly it seems to fit what has gone on.

ManlyBacker said:
I find all of that very hard to believe.

Why? Penn said at the media conference that the club kept coming back to Des to match or better the Dogs offer, but every time they came back the "goal posts had moved" again.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-manly-sea-eagles-sack-coach-des-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226190580262

But it is understood the Bulldogs' end game all along has been to agitate for an early release. They are one move away from getting it.

Bulldogs chasing Manly staff and players adds to the difficulty of Manly keeping stable enough for Hasler to stay coach for 2012.

The Bulldogs could have held off announcing Hasler as 2013 coach until some time in 2012. Instead they announced it days after the grand final and now they have got what they wanted all along.

Hopefully Manly fans will soon wake up to what has happened here. The club has been played well and truly by the Bulldogs.

mosto said:
Like the vast majority on here, the only knowledge I have of this whole situation is what I've obtained from various news snippets. This morning on BSB, Andrew Webster stated that the deal with Canterbury was not finalized GF week, as was widely reported, but was done half way through the season.

He also said it was his understanding that the club had tried to negotiate an extension with Des on a number of occasions through the year only for Des to put it off, possibly because the deal was already done.

Finally, he suggested that Hasler had surrounded himself with people that were able to paint the board in a worse light than what was perhaps actually the case. He even implied that maybe the whole saga had been choreographed by Des and Canterbury to obtain the early release that has now come about.

Now I believe as much as the next Eagles fan that the board has some questions to answer, but if any of the above has any truth to it (and how much of it you believe is up to the individual) maybe the board have had less to do with inflaming this situation than first thought.

There's allot of truth in Websters comments and it now paints a clearer picture as to what actually happened.
Greenbooge putting on a show how he was interviewing coaches in front of news studios all over the planet yet no takers. Des keeps his secrets well, (the focus was kept intact) and luckily for us the hard work had all been done, the playing groups experience and bond got us over the line this year.

Brissie Kid said:
Hopefully Manly fans will soon wake up to what has happened here. The club has been played well and truly by the Bulldogs.

But if this pans out to be true, that's bloody dirty tactics by the bulldogs. It was probably completely un expected.

*On a side note, i own a Bulldog. I feel like going home and kicking it in the head! lol

When the penrith job came up. My mates were saying he is going. I said no way he is manly through and through. I was a little wrong
You can not trust a thing Andrew Webster says.
With the sacking it should all be over but the media will keep this festering over the off season and into the next season. The club needs to be proactive with their press releases and summer promotional work to keep the wolves at bay

Damien2812 said:
What's BSB?

Big Sports Breakfast. It's a sports talkback show on Sky Sports Radio hosted by Terry Kennedy and Michael Slater.

Stevo said:
Brissie Kid said:

But if this pans out to be true, that's bloody dirty tactics by the bulldogs. It was probably completely un expected.

*On a side note, i own a Bulldog. I feel like going home and kicking it in the head! lol

That's a classic. Thanks for the laugh.

As TK said this morning, no matter what the problems were with the board, if Des really wanted to stay at Manly he would have.

Funnily enough BSB has a different meaning around here than Big Sports breakfast

So Manly are portrayed as imploding while the Bulldogs race off with our head coach a year before his contract is up.

Yet it wasn't Manly that announced Hasler going to Bulldogs for 2013 just days after the grand final.

Why didn't Bulldogs announce Dymock for 2012 and leave the Hasler announcement for 2013 until some time early in 2012?

So it happened and Manly says we'll do our best with Des on board for 2012.

But then the Bulldogs start signining up Manly staff for 2012. That causes more internal grief at Manly and external media pressure. Makes the chances of Des holding the Manly house together through 2012 more difficult.

Then Manly find this is all unworkable and Des is shown the door. A day later he joins the Bulldogs for 2012.

The Bulldogs saw what Manly had and wanted it. They now have it. Paint it as Manly being inept or paint it as Bulldogs being beyond acceptable norms. Take your pick.

As Penn said at the media conference today the Dogs didn't even have the decency to let Manly and their fans celebrate the win. Ask yourself why they announced Hasler for 2013 just days after the grand final win.

Stevo said:
Brissie Kid said:

Firstly, make sure he's not like Doggie supporters and sitting out back licking himself

There is probably quite a bit of truth in that, when you consider back in July that RLW ran a piece saying that a rival coach had approached the Dogs about doing a deal, even though he was still on contract with his current club for next season. He was gone months ago

As I said in the original post, how much you believe of the comments is up to you. Personally, I think the deal would have been done earlier in the season. I don't believe someone as professional as Hasler would have wanted that distraction during GF week, or even the finals for that matter.

That would lead me to believing the second point in regards to breakdown of extension negotiations being largely due to Des, as he had probably already agreed to go to Canterbury. To that end I believe the board have been targeted a little unfairly for not securing the extension.

The part about the manouvering for an early release I don't buy as Des could have handed his resignation when announcing his defection, which I'm sure would have been accepted by the board. However, that would mean no payout. If Des now pursues the club for compensation, those claims may hold some water as well.

We'll wait and see.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8