Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brown for Taupau

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Chip in? No that is crazy talk. Marty has a neat hairstyle and we can bemoan that he has toned down his aggresion so he doesn't get sent off any more but he remains an elite quality NRL forward. I hope he stays to help mentor our younger forwards but if he goes we won't be paying his freight. We are dumb these days but not that dumb.

Ooh la la :)
Time will tell if we have to chip in (or choose to). In my view, he hasn't been elite since 2019. Can he get back to that level? I’m just not prepared to bet against him but he is a fair way off the pace of the elite big boppers and has been for a while.

As for him staying around to be a mentor, he certainly seems to live a clean and disciplined life off the field. I'd like to see more on-field mentorship from him. At the moment, I am not sure he would be as big a loss as he once would have been, although this has a lot to do with the fact we are terrible atm.

I agree he has the best corn rows in the game though!

Supreme Leader

Bencher
Reaction score
His Behaviour off the field, not even including the potential future issues.
Ryan. I think we resigned him to help cover legal costs and as a subsequent benefit get loyalty points for retaining his better siblings... bigger picture I think!

Shane4500

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
I could be wrong (yep it happened once before) but I still see Marty as an important component. The only time we ever triumphed without senior established strength in our front row that I can think of was Harvey and Magilla back in the day, two young tearaways.
The game has changed but it is still rugby league, front row is still your foundation.
We need him playing with more passion and hardness. He certainly isn't bending the line. We will also have to chip in at least $200k - not really a palatable outcome. The better outcome is Marty starts ripping in. Maybe because the interest in him from clubs is pretty cool at the moment - that might be the impetus for him to get back on the long run and smash it in.

Shane4500

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
Should never have re signed him in my opinion, now 1 year later we are trying to get rid of him. Another stupid recruitment decision
again... really easy to say. For the pre 2020 game he is a great prop. Based on his best form even now... he is a very good prop. Not sure which crystal ball Des and management should have to see into the future to realise which players form/enthusiasm will drop off. With AFB gone.... Marty was a must keep but his form is very average at the moment. The move to offload AFB is getting lots of criticism but I am guessing and it is just a guess that his off field influence on the young players was not what Manly saw as positive.

Ben

Bencher
Reaction score
I would be happy for Toff for Taupau. We have the replacement right under our nose. We would upgrade Toff a little and will still be saving a bucket load of cap space to spend in the back row.

madmax

Bencher
Reaction score
again... really easy to say. For the pre 2020 game he is a great prop. Based on his best form even now... he is a very good prop. Not sure which crystal ball Des and management should have to see into the future to realise which players form/enthusiasm will drop off. With AFB gone.... Marty was a must keep but his form is very average at the moment. The move to offload AFB is getting lots of criticism but I am guessing and it is just a guess that his off field influence on the young players was not what Manly saw as positive.
Hey mate..... I mentioned it earlier that I’d also have little interest in playing if told I was no longer required & welcome to leave early!!! A kick up the proverbial ar$e to be honest after all the good service given. Plus the fact he’s playing a different style to pre 2020....obviously a master stroke from the super coach!

Shane4500

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
Hey mate..... I mentioned it earlier that I’d also have little interest in playing if told I was no longer required & welcome to leave early!!! A kick up the proverbial ar$e to be honest after all the good service given. Plus the fact he’s playing a different style to pre 2020....obviously a master stroke from the super coach!
yes agree and very good points. Not sure why his form has dropped off. I think there is a bit of blame to go around. But IF clubs are cool on him because of his form that could light the fire tonight - we will see.

sean john

Manly Til I Die
Reaction score
Good question. But let's remember, all very well for a young giant like Paseka to have a storming game up front. Repeat that 20-odd times then going to another level in finals is a whole new ball-game. Experience does count. Especially, I suspect, up front. Look at the rep sides, you get the odd tyro like O'Mely, Klemmer or Haas but generally the reps sides pick experienced packs because, simply, they are the best players.
Taupau has got what maybe 4 final appearances?

Reaction score
Didn't really need a crystal ball. I started a thread in 2019 about not re signing him and another thread last year to get rid of him. If I could see he wasn't value for money and it would greatly effect our cap then surely the manly hierarchy should have seen it. Now its too late.

The '47ers

That's about all I got to say bout that
Reaction score
Might be in the wrong spot but are we still interested in S'ua ?

madmax

Bencher
Reaction score
Didn't really need a crystal ball. I started a thread in 2019 about not re signing him and another thread last year to get rid of him. If I could see he wasn't value for money and it would greatly effect our cap then surely the manly hierarchy should have seen it. Now its too late.
So you think that his salary is affecting our cap? How about the overpaid $950k a season plodder Jake? You think he’s offering anymore than Marty. Far from it. A waste of space! He’s cost us more games than Marty for sure. I understand your dislike for Marty just like mine for Queen Gutho but I dislike the Queen for other reasons not cap or performance wise. Marty has been a good servant & obviously playing to instruction from the master coach, hence his lack of involvement & aggression. Then being told you’re surplus to requirement...I’d not put in also.

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10
3 Eels 6 5 0 1 61 10
4 Storm 6 4 0 2 86 8
5 Roosters 6 4 0 2 78 8
6 Dragons 6 4 0 2 36 8
7 Titans 6 3 0 3 9 6
8 Warriors 6 3 0 3 -3 6
9 Raiders 6 3 0 3 -12 6