Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brown for Taupau

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
There will be plenty of clubs interested, it just depends on how much we have to chip in. I reckon there would be clubs willing to pay $550k a year for him, so it looks like we will have him on our cap for at least $200k even if he isn't playing for us. Is this a good outcome? Who the F knows these days.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
It's only in the rare circumstance where an absolute gun becomes available that a club would be willing to pay full freight for another club's contracted player - e.g., AFB. I mean, why would a club help a competitor get out of a salary cap sht sandwich?

Disco

Bencher
Reaction score
Recruitment team? Bahahahahaha. Crusher is pig shooting and past it, Fulton is signing up Fainu and Lawton, Des is still negotiating with Tolman, and Humphrey's is....well....somewhere, I GUESS
Ryan can I ask why you think signing Fainu was a bad idea?

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Reaction score
The best fit for him is the tigpies but i am not sure he is welcome out west...
Dogs would be the other potential home but they have spent heavily elsewhere...

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Seriously this **** pisses me off. Brown for Taupau is a really dumb idea. Matterson for Taupau even worse. Lets focus on bringing through our younger players this season and next season. We have a lot of talent waiting for opportunities to demonstrate their collective abilities to step up. Focus on youth FFS. Yes we will have to take the pain this season and the next BUT the results of developing what we already have AND going into the market for developing players from other clubs (instead of hired guns at the end of their use by dates) WILL result in a gun squad in three years time). How is this not understood by club management and the coaching squad? Its not rocket science!!! We need to cleanout who we can, upgrade our own based on their potential and form, and rebuild the squad from the groundup. We need a focussed rebuild rather then half-assed attempts to pay overs for players just looking for a pay cheque to finish their careers. **** that **** !!!

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Seriously this ** pisses me off. Brown for Taupau is a really dumb idea. Matterson for Taupau even worse. Lets focus on bringing through our younger players this season and next season. We have a lot of talent waiting for opportunities to demonstrate their collective abilities to step up. Focus on youth FFS. Yes we will have to take the pain this season and the next BUT the results of developing what we already have AND going into the market for developing players from other clubs (instead of hired guns at the end of their use by dates) WILL result in a gun squad in three years time). How is this not understood by club management and the coaching squad? Its not rocket science!!! We need to cleanout who we can, upgrade our own based on their potential and form, and rebuild the squad from the groundup. We need a focussed rebuild rather then half-assed attempts to pay overs for players just looking for a pay cheque to finish their careers. ** that **** !!!
Excuse the French. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Seriously this ** pisses me off. Brown for Taupau is a really dumb idea. Matterson for Taupau even worse. Lets focus on bringing through our younger players this season and next season. We have a lot of talent waiting for opportunities to demonstrate their collective abilities to step up. Focus on youth FFS. Yes we will have to take the pain this season and the next BUT the results of developing what we already have AND going into the market for developing players from other clubs (instead of hired guns at the end of their use by dates) WILL result in a gun squad in three years time). How is this not understood by club management and the coaching squad? Its not rocket science!!! We need to cleanout who we can, upgrade our own based on their potential and form, and rebuild the squad from the groundup. We need a focussed rebuild rather then half-assed attempts to pay overs for players just looking for a pay cheque to finish their careers. ** that **** !!!
I am ambivalent about both of Brown and Matterson, and I agree that we need to bring the young blokes through and that this should be a priority. But the kids won't develop as well as they should unless they have some older heads surrounding them, just like BK helped the likes of Brent Kite and Watmough to develop into the guns that they became.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
There will be plenty of clubs interested, it just depends on how much we have to chip in. I reckon there would be clubs willing to pay $550k a year for him, so it looks like we will have him on our cap for at least $200k even if he isn't playing for us. Is this a good outcome? Who the F knows these days.
Chip in? No that is crazy talk. Marty has a neat hairstyle and we can bemoan that he has toned down his aggresion so he doesn't get sent off any more but he remains an elite quality NRL forward. I hope he stays to help mentor our younger forwards but if he goes we won't be paying his freight. We are dumb these days but not that dumb.

Excuse the French. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Ooh la la :)

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I am ambivalent about both of Brown and Matterson, and I agree that we need to bring the young blokes through and that this should be a priority. But the kids won't develop as well as they should unless they have some older heads surrounding them, just like BK helped the likes of Brent Kite and Watmough to develop into the guns that they became.
Agree absolutely mate. But we already have a number of older heads signed through to 2022 and beyond. In the forwards Jake is there for awhile yet. Aloiai the same. Taupau wont get an offer at 800 K. Sironen will be given another two years through to the end of 2023. The older heads will be still in the squad to mentor the young guns. The same situation for the backs. DCE, Walker, Turbo etc will all be there as well. How many older heads do we actally need? Todays game is a different beast to the game that our older heads excelled in. How much can some of them they actually pass on ( on the different beast that is current NRL footie) anyway?

Last edited:

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Agree absolutely mate. But we already have a number of older heads signed through to 2022 and beyond. In the forwards Jake is there for awhile yet. Aloiai the same. Taupau wont get an offer at 800 K. Sironen will be given another two years through to the end of 2023. The older heads will be still in the squad to mentor the young guns. The same situation for the backs. DCE, Walker, Turbo etc will all be there as well. How many older heads do we actally need? Todays game is a different beast to the game that our older heads excelled in. How much can some of them they actually pass on anyway?
Respect for your elders?

The Who

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree absolutely mate. But we already have a number of older heads signed through to 2022 and beyond. In the forwards Jake is there for awhile yet. Aloiai the same. Taupau wont get an offer at 800 K. Sironen will be given another two years through to the end of 2023. The older heads will be still in the squad to mentor the young guns. The same situation for the backs. DCE, Walker, Turbo etc will all be there as well. How many older heads do we actally need? Todays game is a different beast to the game that our older heads excelled in. How much can some of them they actually pass on anyway?
And we'll have Davey, injuries permitting.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I could be wrong (yep it happened once before) but I still see Marty as an important component. The only time we ever triumphed without senior established strength in our front row that I can think of was Harvey and Magilla back in the day, two young tearaways.
The game has changed but it is still rugby league, front row is still your foundation.

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Respect for your elders.
Yep you are right. Respect is for our elder players is key. I will qualify my last sentence by restating it. "How much can some of our senior players pass on, in relation to effective implementation of new skills and techniques, under the new rules?

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Good question. But let's remember, all very well for a young giant like Paseka to have a storming game up front. Repeat that 20-odd times then going to another level in finals is a whole new ball-game. Experience does count. Especially, I suspect, up front. Look at the rep sides, you get the odd tyro like O'Mely, Klemmer or Haas but generally the reps sides pick experienced packs because, simply, they are the best players.

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Good question. But let's remember, all very well for a young giant like Paseka to have a storming game up front. Repeat that 20-odd times then going to another level in finals is a whole new ball-game. Experience does count. Especially, I suspect, up front. Look at the rep sides, you get the odd tyro like O'Mely, Klemmer or Haas but generally the reps sides pick experienced packs because, simply, they are the best players.
Yep I agree Paseka/Keppie/Sipley/Saddler need another season with Taupau and Jake mentoring them on prop play. Paseka and Keppie should be our starting props in 2023. Taupau wont be going anywhere in my opinion. His form at the moment simply doesn't justify any club picking him up at 800 K. Jake can play a massive role in developing Paseka/Keppie et al by spending some real time as a starting prop this season. His game has diminished beyond recognition as an 80 minute lock. Experience definitely counts but not at the expense of bringing through, developing and mentoring our younger players effectively.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Let's see what happens Simmo. So many parts to the puzzle, yet a single win might turn a lot of them inside out. Rugby league is the most physical of team sports but the mental side of it should never be underestimated!

Mal Cochrane

I'm not really Mal Cochrane...
Reaction score
How many times has Marty apparently been leaving, then we call him all sorts of names and spit on his efforts on the field..........all for it to be a false rumour or amount to nothing?

Staff online

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10
3 Eels 6 5 0 1 61 10
4 Storm 6 4 0 2 86 8
5 Roosters 6 4 0 2 78 8
6 Dragons 6 4 0 2 36 8
7 Titans 6 3 0 3 9 6
8 Warriors 6 3 0 3 -3 6
9 Raiders 6 3 0 3 -12 6