Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brown for Taupau

Mataiforerver

Bencher
Reaction score
Drop the chase for Brown. Get rid of the spuds off contract and only resign sipley, saddler and sione fainu. Maybe Dylan Walker if he catches form at centre. Otherwise get rid of him and chase staggs. As for second rower, either Matterson or Crihton would be absolutely huge for us, one of them out of favour the other off contract. We should be chasing them. Forward pack would be one of the best in the league if it shapes up:

01. Tom
02. Saab
03. Walker/ Staggs
04. Suli
05. Harper/ Tuipolutuau
06. Schuster
07. Daly Cherry Evans
08. Paseka
09. Fainu
10. Taupau
11. Olakatau
12. Matterson/Crichton
13. Jake

14. Lawton/Cust
15. Aloiai
16. Davey
17. Sipley/ Keppie
matterson would be horrible for club culture, the last thing we need in our state

im in 100% for crichton

Reaction score
matterson would be horrible for club culture, the last thing we need in our state

im in 100% for crichton
What is this club culture you speak of? Do you know matterson? Seems like a great bloke and is one of the best in the game. Id prefer Crichton but uncle nick won't be letting him go especially with friend and Cordner potentially retiring... brown or matterson are the likely choices. Id love either or!

Brandon smith would be good also but only if fainu goes to the slammer

Nordburg

Bencher
Reaction score
What is this club culture you speak of? Do you know matterson? Seems like a great bloke and is one of the best in the game. Id prefer Crichton but uncle nick won't be letting him go especially with friend and Cordner potentially retiring... brown or matterson are the likely choices. Id love either or!

I think Brandon Smith is overrated due to his “larrikin” persona.His style of play is not sustainable and I suspect a lot of Storm players are going to be shown up this season without Cam Smith there to control the game

court83

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
I honestly don't think we ever used tapau correctly anyway.. guy has too much talent to use as a mindless battering ram.
I remember watching him carve us up when we played tigers, played 2 out from the ruck so he could hit a hole between the backrower-5/8, was unstoppable, punched his way in for a couple of trys...
Then we get him and I havnt seen him do that since...
Same for talmalolo, being used 1 off the ruck to do mindless grunt work is an absolute waste of his talent.. used a little wider they are unstoppable wrecking balls..
But the stats . The stats.. bla bla bla I get it, I still think we've wasted tapau

The Indian

Bencher
Super Coach Member
Reaction score
What would you say if Manly were to pick up a bulk of the freight?

Agree. The way we are being run we'll release Marty, still be paying 1/2 his contract to play for whoever , sign a journeyman in his place and end up about square on the salary cap, or with just enough money leftover to 'upgrade' Dylan Walker and Reuben Garrick.

I think we're following the Wests Tigers model to world domination.

The Manly Tragic

Tragic
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I agree with "The Indian" our planning and squad model are flawed. We appear to be like the NRL and make decisions on the fly. There are fundamental flaws in the composition our top 30. In circumstance where the spine is so crucial you need two players that can play each position effectively at first grade standard who are familiar with the structure (I haven't much lately), set sequences (if there are any) and defensive structures (hmm). We don't have a back up fullback, we don't have a back up hooker and we don't have an apprentice half back waiting for a shot. Sure we have to deal with injuries that is the very reason the structure of the squad and good development of youngsters is critical. I like what I see in the talent coming through but I am concerned that a lot of damage will be done to this club if we continue playing like wooden spooners who are out of touch with the modern game.

Mataiforerver

Bencher
Reaction score

1. Matterson hasn't even been at parra for over a year and is shopping himself around.

I didn't buy into the 'greed' stuff with the tigers cos they're useless but now definitely do. If he's shopping himself already all he cares about is maxing his earnings - its round 3 and hes got an option for next year... concentrate on trying to win with your club?

2. Signing him would be the 5th-to-6th player in our squad absolutely maxing his earnings out. Look at what that has done for our squad already? DCE 1.25m, Tom 1.1m, Jake 950k, Marty 750k... AFB left, Koroisau left etc etc. Would rather not have another addition to that - Matterson 800k+

3. Brandon Smith Is a lock not a hooker. He's carved up at hooker for rep but bellamy has played him as a lock for 2 years now and he's been pretty poor last couple rounds - no width, shocking service. We already have 3 hookers now if Fainu gets off: Fainu, Cust & Lawton. Think we're in a jam where we just have to cop it now and hope Cust gets picked which for some insane reason looks unlikely (Croker could **** on the field and still get picked)

Ron E. Gibbs

Bencher
Reaction score
Agree. The way we are being run we'll release Marty, still be paying 1/2 his contract to play for whoever , sign a journeyman in his place and end up about square on the salary cap, or with just enough money leftover to 'upgrade' Dylan Walker and Reuben Garrick.

I think we're following the Wests Tigers model to world domination.
I'm still waiting for the players/compensation we were supposed to be getting from the Warriors for releasing AFB…

Harry Smith

Bencher
Reaction score
I think Brandon Smith is overrated due to his “larrikin” persona.His style of play is not sustainable and I suspect a lot of Storm players are going to be shown up this season without Cam Smith there to control the game
Yup, he is definitely not an 80 min hooker as is and will only get slower. Passing game is a little sloppy (Munster was getting quite frustrated last week). I think he is great off the bench for a powerful lock/hooker stint but now that I think of it no way would I throw the kind of money thats been hyped his way. Even at lock he hasn’t got a sustainable build or playing style. There is a big risk with him that he will burn out, get slower/less mobile or turn stale like Jake. Maybe not in the near future so could be a good short term signing but once again not for the rumoured money.

Harry Smith

Bencher
Reaction score
1. Matterson hasn't even been at parra for over a year and is shopping himself around.

I didn't buy into the 'greed' stuff with the tigers cos they're useless but now definitely do. If he's shopping himself already all he cares about is maxing his earnings - its round 3 and hes got an option for next year... concentrate on trying to win with your club?

2. Signing him would be the 5th-to-6th player in our squad absolutely maxing his earnings out. Look at what that has done for our squad already? DCE 1.25m, Tom 1.1m, Jake 950k, Marty 750k... AFB left, Koroisau left etc etc. Would rather not have another addition to that - Matterson 800k+

3. Brandon Smith Is a lock not a hooker. He's carved up at hooker for rep but bellamy has played him as a lock for 2 years now and he's been pretty poor last couple rounds - no width, shocking service. We already have 3 hookers now if Fainu gets off: Fainu, Cust & Lawton. Think we're in a jam where we just have to cop it now and hope Cust gets picked which for some insane reason looks unlikely (Croker could **** on the field and still get picked)
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Agree

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Brown is OK but surely he would want similar money to what Marty is on?

What we need is a few more Andrew Daveys.

A second rower who can come into our team and play at a high level but hasn't already established themselves as a (high-priced) star.

We have one, fingers crossed, in Haumole. We could use a couple more. Dear recruitment team, get on it, please :)

Ryan

Journey Man
Reaction score
Brown is OK but surely he would want similar money to what Marty is on?

What we need is a few more Andrew Daveys.

A second rower who can come into our team and play at a high level but hasn't already established themselves as a (high-priced) star.

We have one, fingers crossed, in Haumole. We could use a couple more. Dear recruitment team, get on it, please :)

Recruitment team? Bahahahahaha. Crusher is pig shooting and past it, Fulton is signing up Fainu and Lawton, Des is still negotiating with Tolman, and Humphrey's is....well....somewhere, I GUESS

tookey

First Grader
Reaction score
Looks like no-one else wants Marty Certainly not at $800k

Guess he will have to pull his finger out and start playing if he wants another club to sign him

Manly prop Martin Taupau battling to get a bite on the open market​

Martin Taupau’s bid to test the open market has hit a major hurdle as clubs baulk at his huge asking price.

Martin Taupau’s bid to cash in by testing himself on the open market has backfired with clubs baulking at his $800,000-a-year asking price.

News Corp Australia can reveal the Raiders are the latest club to have knocked back an approach from the Sea Eagles enforcer, who was given permission to field offers from rival clubs earlier this year.

Contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of next year, Taupau has been selling himself to rival clubs through new agent Matthew Desira after being told the Sea Eagles would consider granting him a release at the end of the season.

However initial interest in the prop has been cold.

The Raiders told Taupau’s agent they were not in the market for a marquee prop when the Sea Eagle was shopped to Canberra by way of phone call.

Canberra have a host of middle forwards contracted for next year and beyond, including Josh Papalii, Corey Horsburgh, Ryan James, Joseph Tapine and Hudson Young.

The Raiders are understood to be one of several club who are not interested in paying $800,000-a-year or more to snare Taupau from the Sea Eagles.

With Taupau set to turn 32 next year, many clubs consider signing the ageing prop on a big money deal to be a risk.

Taupau signed a two-year extension with Manly early last year but is already looking to get out of his deal with the Sea Eagles who are reported to be hunting Jayden Su’A as a replacement.

The former Bulldogs prop spoke glowingly about his future under Des Hasler after recommitting to the club until the end of 2022.

“It’s a very exciting day getting to sign for another two years,” Taupau said after inking the deal. “This club means a lot to me and has given me a lot of opportunities over the last couple of years.”

“There is a special feeling at the club, we all feel it, from last season and the way all the boys have come back into pre-season and that we have kept the majority of our teammates and developing junior players

I think our fans have plenty of reason to be excited for the next few years.”

Nathan Brown has also been mentioned as a replacement for the Sea Eagles as Manly get set for a roster shake-up.

Curtis Sironen, Jorge Taufua, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Dylan Walker, Kieran Foran and Morgan Boyle are all off-contract and are facing an uncertain future.

Last edited:

Moops

Bencher
Reaction score

Guess he will have to pull his finger out and start playing if he wants another club to sign him

Martin Taupau’s bid to test the open market has hit a major hurdle as clubs baulk at his huge asking price.

Martin Taupau’s bid to cash in by testing himself on the open market has backfired with clubs baulking at his $800,000-a-year asking price.

News Corp Australia can reveal the Raiders are the latest club to have knocked back an approach from the Sea Eagles enforcer, who was given permission to field offers from rival clubs earlier this year.

Contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of next year, Taupau has been selling himself to rival clubs through new agent Matthew Desira after being told the Sea Eagles would consider granting him a release at the end of the season.

The Raiders told Taupau’s agent they were not in the market for a marquee prop when the Sea Eagle was shopped to Canberra by way of phone call.

Canberra have a host of middle forwards contracted for next year and beyond, including Josh Papalii, Corey Horsburgh, Ryan James, Joseph Tapine and Hudson Young.

The Raiders are understood to be one of several club who are not interested in paying $800,000-a-year or more to snare Taupau from the Sea Eagles.

With Taupau set to turn 32 next year, many clubs consider signing the ageing prop on a big money deal to be a risk.
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/trac...${GDPR};gdpr_consent=${GDPR_CONSENT_755};ltd=
Taupau signed a two-year extension with Manly early last year but is already looking to get out of his deal with the Sea Eagles who are reported to be hunting Jayden Su’A as a replacement.

The former Bulldogs prop spoke glowingly about his future under Des Hasler after recommitting to the club until the end of 2022.

“It’s a very exciting day getting to sign for another two years,” Taupau said after inking the deal. “This club means a lot to me and has given me a lot of opportunities over the last couple of years.”

“There is a special feeling at the club, we all feel it, from last season and the way all the boys have come back into pre-season and that we have kept the majority of our teammates and developing junior players

Nathan Brown has also been mentioned as a replacement for the Sea Eagles as Manly get set for a roster shake-up.

Curtis Sironen, Jorge Taufua, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Dylan Walker, Kieran Foran and Morgan Boyle are all off-contract and are facing an uncertain future.

Nobody could have seen that coming!

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Reaction score

But have they seen him deadlift..?

47MVEagle

Bencher
Reaction score
Well if we have no luck offloading Marty I daresay that almost certainly seals the fate of the players who are off-contract at the end of this season.

If we have to keep Marty for 2022, bring Olakau'atu through as soon as he's back from injury so he can establish himself as our pack leader.

Paseka
Keppie
Sipley
Jake

Ola
Davey
Aloiai

Last edited:

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10