Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brown for Taupau

Batty

Bencher
Reaction score
With rumours floating around on social media that we are willing to release Taupau to a Sydney club and secure Nathan Brown from the Eels I think we are headed in the right direction.

Taupau appears past his best. Has never been a team player.
In his Roosters pre-game chat, I heard him say he’s just worried about going out there and making sure he was “executing my role as an individual”. He also said he hadn’t thought about the last few months of last season.

I believe Nathan Brown is still one of the most formidable forwards in the game. He adds mongrel like no other. His defence and attack are both aggressive and he can really lift a team.

Manlys salary cap will also benefit from this trade.

Bring it on.

Thoughts?

Waz13

Bencher
Reaction score
With rumours floating around on social media that we are willing to release Taupau to a Sydney club and secure Nathan Brown from the Eels I think we are headed in the right direction.

Taupau appears past his best. Has never been a team player.
In his Roosters pre-game chat, I heard him say he’s just worried about going out there and making sure he was “executing my role as an individual”. He also said he hadn’t thought about the last few months of last season.

I believe Nathan Brown is still one of the most formidable forwards in the game. He adds mongrel like no other. His defence and attack are both aggressive and he can really lift a team.

Manlys salary cap will also benefit from this trade.

Bring it on.

Thoughts?
I’m not sure losing AFB and Marty Taupau is a good move to any forward pack.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Reaction score
Not really a like for like. Marty still bends the line a lot more than Brown and provides an off load, just have not been able to use his second phase play as not having Tom or Faniu backing up around the ball. All the players need lifting. Jake and Siro have been even more ineffective than marty. Apparently Manly have pulled out of the race anyway.

A much better move would be cheeze. Start him at hooker and move him to lock later in game (Jake to prop) like Melbourne do. Watched him last night, bloke never stops. Great hooker, great defence, then at lock charges onto the ball, fast footwork, always putting pressure on the opposition attack, awesome team player. He is what we need. Marty is in a bit of a slump but so is most of Manly. Cannot afford to lose another good prop and replace with Boyle or Keppie. Get rid of crocker, parker, Jetski even siro and sign Matterson for the edge and promote Quac. Keep Davey on bench for cover. That is a lot better move

Briza

Maroon and White - Born and Bred
Reaction score
Rumours we've pulled out of the race for Brown for someone else.

Dinga7

Dinga
Reaction score
I'd take Brown over Taupau all day long he looks to have that wanna win attitude.. Taupau hands have always been an issue and im not convinced of his hunger to win matches.. If we had 17 players that wanted to win like Jake what a team we would be.. Having talent is one thing BUT having the desire to win no matter what is far more important...We need those type of players gong forward and Brown fits that mould IMO !!

Snake

Snakes Alive!!!
Reaction score
I don’t like either of them. Taupau had one good year for us in 2017 and the rest has been pretty average. He lost the aggression he played with at the Tigers and seems pretty relaxed about most aspects of his football. I also know he has been told not to offload the ball this year so that probably negates his great strength.

Brown is injury prone and although he runs hard and is competitive, he is usually pretty ineffective.

Batty

Bencher
Reaction score
I don’t like either of them. Taupau had one good year for us in 2017 and the rest has been pretty average. He lost the aggression he played with at the Tigers and seems pretty relaxed about most aspects of his football. I also know he has been told not to offload the ball this year so that probably negates his great strength.

Brown is injury prone and although he runs hard and is competitive, he is usually pretty ineffective.
Fair enough.

He strikes me as the BK style of player that has the ability to lift the entire forward pack with his on field attitude and leading by example.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Reaction score

Something that frustrated me regarding Marty's offloads is that they usually just got lobbed out the back and found the grass... and someone had to scramble to get the ball.

Either he was just offloading it for the sake of offloading it (with not much control), or there was zero communication with the rest of the team, or both.

At least when AFB did it, the ball usually found the hands of a support runner more often than not.

globaleagle

Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, Snorky.
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Interesting to read Marty's article about concussion and how it really scared him last year.

So... I wonder if the fire has gone out? Like the one he had against Aust in a test a few years ago.

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10
3 Eels 6 5 0 1 61 10
4 Storm 6 4 0 2 86 8
5 Roosters 6 4 0 2 78 8
6 Dragons 6 4 0 2 36 8
7 Titans 6 3 0 3 9 6
8 Warriors 6 3 0 3 -3 6
9 Raiders 6 3 0 3 -12 6