Brooky Facelift

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Phantar

Bencher
The link below contains the recommendations to Council for the latest stage of the upgrade. The text in the drawings, even when saved elsewhere and blown-up, can be difficult to read, but it all looks quite impressive. As reported elsewhere, the seating in front of the JT and the Arko stands will be replaced with a higher raked tiering that extends up to the existing stands. The upshot here is that the driveway onto the playing area in front of the Arko, will be lost so a new access point will be created in the southeast corner. The players' race cage should also be going as the new seating will crowd in on the race.The old beer kiosk on the Hill is going and there appears to be an (even newer) access point (in that vicinity) to the ground at the back of the Hill.

The top of the Hill also looks to have a concrete pathway all the way around to the Northern Hill, which will have quite a deep concourse, with newer turnstiles and disabled access. There looks to be a new kiosk(?) at the northeastern corner of the Hill. The old dunny block in the northwestern corner will go. The northward extension to the JT Stand includes new kiosks and toilets (which will extend in a long permanent structure across part of the existing Hasbeen Hill area. The remains of that area looks like it will be will be flattened and 'concoursed' as well. The existing Stand will extend westward, to level with the rear areas of the press boxes, so they should have better facilities for the corporates in there too. There will be lift access at the northern end also, on top of a new lift in the Arko stand.

It looks like most, if not all, the temporary structures will be going - i.e. the existing food/beverage kiosks at the northwest and northeastern corners and that crappy sh-tbox that has defaced the middle of the Hill since the mid-90s.

It should look very smart as the designers, Smith-Tzannes, are a top architectural practice and we should start to have a ground that will no longer be tagged Sydney's worst NRL venue (which I don't believe is true anyway).

From there, lets hope that Scott Penn and David Perry are working the phones and pressing the flesh for more money to replace the remaining bench seats, installation of a brand new playing surface and maybe some terracing/seating on the northern hill (hence more season ticket opportunities for a moderate capital outlay), to form a nice springboard to bigger developments. And what has happened to the proposal (which Council agreed to) to sell naming rights to the Oval?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but with any luck the Club may be able to provide us with more updates in the coming months.

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/plan_dev/documents/ADPReport20111010Item3.14.pdf

Thanks Phantar. Your explanation is easier to understand than the reams of documentation.
More photos, less words needed for this Hillite.

No worries TW. Maybe the 'kiosk' I mentioned in the northeast corner is actually the new dual scoreboard/video screen?

Agree The Who, Thx Phantar!

Knwoing the council they will probably knock back their own DA.....

Anyway once this is completed I reckon only mre terrace seating to replace the benches and maybe a moderate stand at the back of the hill. Surely we don't need to $70 million reburb they are suggesting?

Phantar said:
The old beer kiosk on the Hill is going and there appears to be an (even newer) access point (in that vicinity) to the ground at the back of the Hill ... that crappy sh-tbox that has defaced the middle of the Hill since the mid-90s.

But that's a landmark, easy when you get new people to come to the footy, I tell them to find me on the Northern side of the Beer Shed.

And it keeps us separated from the riff-raff who hang on the Southern side of the Beer Shed ... you know who you are. :D :D

But also I did like being able to buy Beer whilst not missing some of the game.

I have actually seen a big yellow contruction machine in the North West corner this week!

Maybe the work is about to commence :exclamation:

2012 is looking so fressssssshhhhh :D
With - New Coach, New Stand, New Admin, reNewed Ground Announcer
and the status quo of the Manly Premiership position:p

Yeah, I liked the beer shed too. Very historical. I don't remember being asked by the Council to comment on the destruction of the hill beer shed. I'll take that issue up with the local Councilor.

My understanding is that a lot of the works in that DA are not actually funded and therefore won't be happening in a hurry.

Eg the tiered concourse seating in front of the Jane Try and Arko is not funded. Apparently Sea Eagles convinced Council to put more in the DA so it was preapproved and could go ahead straight away when funding becomes avail.

The extension of Jane try north with new kiosk, toilets and lift is happening, along with lift to Arko stand. Maybe new permanent video/scoreboard if there is money left otherwise the $10mill is all gone.

Craigm said:
My understanding is that a lot of the works in that DA are not actually funded and therefore won't be happening in a hurry.

Eg the tiered concourse seating in front of the Jane Try and Arko is not funded. Apparently Sea Eagles convinced Council to put more in the DA so it was preapproved and could go ahead straight away when funding becomes avail.

The extension of Jane try north with new kiosk, toilets and lift is happening, along with lift to Arko stand. Maybe new permanent video/scoreboard if there is money left otherwise the $10mill is all gone.
Always with the negative vibes Moriarty...always with the negative vibes!:D

Sadly reading this article below, I think you might be right Craigm:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brookie-cash-rundown/

Phantar said:
Always with the negative vibes Moriarty...always with the negative vibes!:D

Sadly reading this article below, I think you might be right Craigm:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brookie-cash-rundown/

Had to look up that quote.......but it is a goody that I will be shamelessly re-using.

Some more negative waves..... from the a Council Papers for tonight's Council meeting

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_then/documents/2011121374latereport.pdf

Looks like there wont be a new permanent replay screen/scoreboard.

They would have to concrete the path from the middle of the hill down out of $10 million, that gets dangerously slippery when wet and is just asking for someone to get injured.

Craigm said:
Some more negative waves..... from the a Council Papers for tonight's Council meeting

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_then/documents/2011121374latereport.pdf

Looks like there wont be a new permanent replay screen/scoreboard.

The emails included at the end of that report are very interesting. It is very clear from those emails that the $6m grant was made entirely as a result of proposals developed and presented by the Club.

Council's report is very scant on detail. I think it is also pretty clear that they have not spent the money in accordance with the State government's wishes and they are trying to fudge their way around it with some rubbery descriptions and numbers.

Saw this posted elsewhere on this site:

The scope of the Works includes extension to the Jane Try Grandstand, including tiered seating terrace, new corporate areas, new amenities and facilities."

“Stage 4 works consist of:
- Extension of Jane Try Stand one bay to the north
-
- New amenities - kiosk and toilets
-
- Community Function room

- Removal of structures to northern hill

- Additional seating infront of existing Jane Try Stand”

So apparently the work will include the additional seats in front of the JT Stand. Noting that one of the MD reports states that $3.69 million will be spent through to June 30 2012, and the work to the JT is worth around $2.77 million, it seems that we will see something at least approximating those drawings, sometime next season.

But then who knows - the Council are not exactly masters at PR and the Club says very little on the subject.

Council's report is very scant on detail. I think it is also pretty clear that they have not spent the money in accordance with the State government's wishes and they are trying to fudge their way around it with some rubbery descriptions and numbers.

Yep & spend a big chunk of the funds on endless rounds of community consultations....

** Bump**

Anyone know if the renovations are on track? I guess the builders had a break over Christmas. Hopefully plenty of dry weather over the next few months will help progress.

I was near there on the weekend and the builder were working on Saturday, not a hell of a lot of progress from what I could see in terms of something being built but a lot of prep work has been done interms of clearing and levelling the site and putting in some sort of support pylons (sorry not a builder).

The Wheel said:
I was near there on the weekend and the builder were working on Saturday, not a hell of a lot of progress from what I could see in terms of something being built but a lot of prep work has been done interms of clearing and levelling the site and putting in some sort of support pylons (sorry not a builder).

I didn't know that you can see the JT stand from Chard Road?

I was waiting for my car to be serviced and went for a walk - nothing else was being serviced and the 'mechanic' wasn't in Chard Road.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7