Bring Back reserve grade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
we really need a reserve grade comp again to be played before the NYC game and not a grounds where there are 30ppl and 4 dogs watching IMO
there would be more pluses than minuses
*the extra game at all the grounds there would be more exposure and experience for the refs who dearly need it make them all do at least 1 lower grade game and a 1st grade game every week
*clubs would be able to retain kids that are just out of the NYC and play them with older players to learn their trade
* players out of form could be dropped to get them back into some form
* players coming back from injury will have somewhere to start back

Agreed - I didnt like the idea of only having a squad of 25 and not being able to use any players from Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles. With a second tier team we can pull anyone out to play for us, which we needed.

Half of the squad from Toyota Cup can play for us anyhow.

I thought this was pretty much happening next year.
Manly has shown the rest of the comp that it is a necessary grade.

We've possibly lost our "dynasty" as much by this decision as poor reffing and key injuries.

I agree Berks....there was nothing better than getting down to Brookie, sitting on the fence on a hot Sunday afternoon with a hot pie and a solo (around 10.30am odd) and watching all three grades.

That's definitely value for money as well.

Sitting there with around 50 odd people, and watching the ground swell to 15 to 20 odd thousand fans was brilliant. As Gould says:

"You gotta love your Sundy Footy".

Agree with the setiments. 

I used to watch all 3 grades, and there is nothing more rewarding than seeing the 'birth' of a star.  The snow white Beaver caught our eye early.  I even recall Johnny Gibbs at North Sydney Oval racing away with the socks down and head back and wondering when he'll get to the first grade.  He did the following week and the went on to be a crowd favourite. The younger Phil Blake blitzing his elder brother all the way into first grade....

Ahh the great evolutions, hope the NRL bring it back ASAP.

Ryan link said:
I agree Berks....there was nothing better than getting down to Brookie, sitting on the fence on a hot Sunday afternoon with a hot pie and a solo (around 10.30am odd) and watching all three grades.

You got a hot pie...? Do you have a portable microwave? :)

Totally agree. It was a financial decision as clubs couldn't afford to take 3 teams everywhere such as to Townsville, NZ etc.

It used to be great going to the footy on a Sunday afternoon and watching 3 grades play from 12.05 I think it started, real value for money in those days.

Unfortunately now we have this crap and all to make it a National competition, who really cares?

I think you would be hard fought finding anyone who doesn't agree with this.

The problem is that next year they want an NSW cup team for NSW based teams, not a reserve grade.

We need specifically a Reserve grade comp, this would have to be supplemented for teams as they will need to travel.

Rather than it being a reserve grade all based with NSW Cup clubs, it should be every team has a reserve grade and that is all there is to it

Dan link said:
Rather than it being a reserve grade all based with NSW Cup clubs, it should be every team has a reserve grade and that is all there is to it

I dont think this would be fair financially for teams like The Warriors, Bronco's, Cowboys & Storm who would have to fork out a lot more in airfares every 2nd week.

I can't see why the Sydney based teams don't just field a team in a reserve grade comp with teams like Newtown & North Sydney and play curtain raisers to the NRL games.

The out of town teams could just field teams in their local competitions or in the Storms case keep North Sydney as their reserve grade side.

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185002.msg289656#msg289656 date=1283385508]

I dont think this would be fair financially for teams like The Warriors, Bronco's, Cowboys & Storm who would have to fork out a lot more in airfares every 2nd week.

I can't see why the Sydney based teams don't just field a team in a reserve grade comp with teams like Newtown & North Sydney and play curtain raisers to the NRL games.

The out of town teams could just field teams in their local competitions or in the Storms case keep North Sydney as their reserve grade side.
[/quote]

Which is why I said

"We need specifically a Reserve grade comp, this would have to be supplemented for teams as they will need to travel."

if the NRL forks out the cash for the reserve grade teams to travel, it should work out fairly evenly.

It is the only fair way to have a proper reserve grade that will actually be a good platform to launch NRL careers.

We have it with the NYC so why not just bring it up a notch to reserve grade?

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=185002.msg289596#msg289596 date=1283352731]

You got a hot pie...? Do you have a portable microwave? :)
[/quote]

Maybe at 10.30am the pies are actually hot and beers cold .... but then they put them in the same spot and let them both go luke warm by the time the fans get there.

Dan link said:
Which is why I said

\"We need specifically a Reserve grade comp, this would have to be supplemented for teams as they will need to travel.\"

My bad, missed that bit.

Going back to the 3 grades style of competion would be fantastic and may stop a few players heading off to Super League.

The only problem is getting the NRL to pay for it but if a naming rights sponsorship with Jetstar or Virgin could be worked out it could work a traet.  

For rugby league to be strong now and into the future there must be a reserve grade comp.  When the new tv deal is worked out they must factor this in so there's enough money to have 3 matches on game day.

The lack of a reserve grade comp is one reason why the standard of rugby league is dropping.

It's very difficult to blood players from the NYC in firsts as many are not yet fully developed and are still growing.  Forwards usually don't mature as rugby league players until their mid to late 20's.

And many guys playing park footy leave the game to pursue different careers as they don't see much chance of making it from the 2nd tier (NSW cup) comp to the NRL.

may as well bring back reserve grade we already have reserve grade Quality Refs :)

For financial reasons alone I doubt that we will ever see the reintroduction of a Reserve Grade .

The Under 20's comp should be revamped to to be an U23 competition with an allowance for say 3 over age players. This will give a better balance to both the arguments that so many players are lost once they reach 20 and have not made it to the NRL squad and also allow for both out of form and players returning from injury who are are over 23 to play in a meaningful competition.

The sticking point at the moment is that Fox got handed tv rights to the toyota cup games free of charge, they are laughing and would have no want for the current set up to change.  Once the idependent commission comes in I am sure things like this will be changed and hopefully for the better

If Manly do have a reserve grade team or NSW cup team they probably will not play at Brookie or if they do it will be on another day. Most teams in the NSW Cup dont play with the NRL.

Why reserve grade cant happen for our own sake
Brookey cant hold up properly after 2 games
Bluetongue had people each half played (4) with buckets
of sod to fill potholes,our old girl couldnt take that abuse

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9