Brett Stewart wins defamation case

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The article refers to Silvertails.com.au so it must have been a different fan site to this one. I might go check it out.
Maybe Dan can sue as well for misrepresentation.

Got to feel for Snake and the treatment he has received in the media. Both of those allegations undoubtedly affected him personally and I feel that was reflected in his performances - which you can fully understand and sympathise with. Feel so sorry for the guy because he did nothing to deserve either of those malicious claims, and I can't help thinking what could have been for his career if he didn't have to put up with all that rumour and innuendo. Little wonder he had had a gutful of footy by the end. So sad because he was one of our greats and they tarnished him with their grubby reporting.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/former-ma...-over-matchfixing-claims-20171017-gz2nhw.html

Former Manly NRL player Brett Stewart wins defamation action over match-fixing claims

Harriet Alexander
1 hr ago

Former rugby league player Brett Stewart has won defamation action against News Limited over an article linking him to match-fixing allegations that appeared online for a few hours before it was taken down.

A story appeared on the Daily Telegraph website on June 23, 2016, reporting that the Manly Sea Eagles fullback was considering a move to France following "several long conversations" with coach Trent Barrett about claims of match-fixing that had been levelled against the club.

The allegations had affected Stewart's on-field performance, the story reported.

The article is understood to have remained on the website for several hours before it was taken down, but it received further exposure because nine minutes after it first appeared on the Daily Telegraph's site, it was uploaded onto a Sea Eagles fan site, www.silvertails.com.au.

Mr Stewart argued that the story carried the defamatory meanings either that he had engaged in match-fixing or was reasonably suspected by the coach of having engaged in that activity, and either that he was being investigated by police or was reasonably suspected by police of fixing NRL matches.

According to his statement of claim lodged with the NSW Supreme Court, this had brought him into hatred, ridicule and contempt and "gravely injured ... his character, reputation and occupation as a professional football player".

A consent order issued by the court found a verdict in favour of the plaintiff, with the settlement terms to remain confidential.

Police set up Strike Force Nuralda in September 2016 to investigate allegations that six Manly players had been given secret payments of $50,000 to manipulate the outcome of matches, following suspicious games against South Sydney and Parramatta in the 2015 NRL season.

But police discovered no evidence of systemic match-fixing, and turned the focus of their investigation towards an alleged trade in inside information and salary cap breaches.

Mr Stewart retired from rugby league in the 2017 pre-season due to injuries.

The payout represents his second successful litigation against News Limited.

In 2011, he won a substantial defamation payout against the company over a 2009 article about his alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl.

A jury acquitted him of all charges in 2010.

Feel so happy for snake, copped a lot of bull**** from the media, hope he's better at peace now, and hope he got some money out of it too, good on'ya snake :)

"The article is understood to have remained on the website for several hours before it was taken down, but it received further exposure because nine minutes after it first appeared on the Daily Telegraph's site, it was uploaded onto a Sea Eagles fan site, www.silvertails.com.au"

Lucky Dan wasn't sued as well. Probably timely to remind ourselves that everyone can each be held responsible for what you publish online, including republishing material from other sites and news agencies.

"The allegations had affected Stewart's on-field performance, the story reported."

Sounds obvious in hindsight, doesn't it. Funny, all the criticism I read on Silvertails about Brett's form at that late stage of his career, even including slurs about 'not trying', and I don't recall anyone suggesting his form could be suffering due to what he was enduring mentally from all the snide rumours.

No amount of money would make up for the lifetime of being trolled as a rapist and match fixer :swear:

Snake's diabetic condition would really be affected by these court cases @:worried:

Wish him peace of mind and a happy and fulfilled future :inlove:
So true, HM. I know he has his restaurant in Melbourne, probably a great idea for him to avoid NSW and Queensland where most people are league fans and almost everyone would instantly recognise him and, as you say, the mud sticks. In Melbourne most people wouldn't know much of that history and would treat him with the respect that he deserves.

The ST highlighted the attempt to defame. :wait:

How many other League sites had posted it I wonder?
Any 'bad news' stories about Manly are click bait :cool:

I posted all the Internation Media coverage of the Match Fixing allegations in another Thread. It was truly a world sporting headline :swear:

"The article is understood to have remained on the website for several hours before it was taken down, but it received further exposure because nine minutes after it first appeared on the Daily Telegraph's site, it was uploaded onto a Sea Eagles fan site, www.silvertails.com.au"

Lucky Dan wasn't sued as well. Probably timely to remind ourselves that everyone can each be held responsible for what you publish online, including republishing material from other sites and news agencies.
The Silvertails.com.au are separate to dan’s Silvertails.net so no issue

I think the originator of the published article is at fault.

I think the originator of the published article is at fault.
I'm sure we'll have some defamation lawyers here who can confirm the legalities, but my understanding is if you repeat slanderous allegations publicly you can also be held liable. Actually @Dan will know this, he has to deal with this stuff often unfortunately.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6