Blacktown players can now go straight into the NRL !!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
This article in the tele today ... why isn't this bigger news ..

1611958335887.png

Wasn't that always the case? Eg Miski.
Maybe they just want have to ask for an exemption to play

No, I think Miski was always a development player .. they are saying that after rd 10 .. feeder club players outside of the top 30 will be eligible for call up ...

I wonder if this will mean teams like Easts stacking their feeder clubs ?

@Smokin Joe or @Mitch .. do you know anything about this ?

Wasn't that always the case? Eg Miski.
Maybe they just want have to ask for an exemption to play
Hopefully things have markedly improved with the new administration in regard to player eligibility but plenty of blatant bias against some clubs and especially Manly previously and maybe some lingering elements still there . Having a new clear cut and uniform rule seems a much better arrangement

No, I think Miski was always a development player .. they are saying that after rd 10 .. feeder club players outside of the top 30 will be eligible for call up ...

Still have a reasonable semblance of a salary cap to adhere to unless they attempt bulk T P A 's and that still has its limitations

Here is the full pay walled Daily Telegraph article. Even though it mainly outlines the Cowboys' situation, the information is relevant to all clubs

NRL 2021: Eligibilty rule change to help bolster depleted squads

The NRL will introduce a radical change to its eligibility rules in 2021 in a return to the halcyon days of rugby league.

The Townsville Bulletin can reveal the NRL has rushed through a rule change to allow clubs to dip into their feeder club stocks midway through the season as injuries begin to hit.

Players outside of the a club’s top-30 roster can be called up from their Queensland Cup or NSW Cup teams from Round 11.

An NRL spokesman confirmed the rule change but added that the players must be signed to club’s on a training deal to take the field.

Cowboys head of football Micheal Luck has heralded the rule change suggesting it revisited the traditional pathways from the grassroots to the NRL.

The pathway has not been in place since the disbandment of the national under-20s competition in 2015.

It will also act as an incentive for reserve grade players, with the opportunity of exposure on the national stage on the line.

Luck, who earned his NRL stripes by toiling in the Queensland Cup with the NQ Young Guns, said the initiative opened the door for a lot of players who had been lost to the system.

“I think it was always a bit puzzling why guys that were part of the pathways system were essentially roadblocked when they got to a certain point,” he said.

“It is great, it means guys that are having a year out of the box, performing at a high level, have an opportunity to step up. There is a genuine avenue for those guys to be playing first grade.

“For us, a club with three feeder clubs, all of that is exciting. We have got guys who can compete week to week, if they are going well enough they could be in our side.”

Luck said he believed the return of the reserve grade pathway did not cancel out the development squad system, with young players still needing time training in an NRL set-up at the start of their careers.

The Cowboys have already aligned their feeder clubs with their structures and play calls to make it easier for allocated players from the top squad when they return to the Queensland Cup. Those systems could give the other players in their three feeder clubs – Townsville Blackhawks, Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters – a leg up in their quest for NRL opportunities.

Blackhawks coach Aaron Payne has backed his players to take heed of the opportunity and work even harder in the 2021 season.

“It will give all the second tier blokes a real spring in their step, knowing they are a chance of progressing up the tree,” Payne said.

“I am sure (the Cowboys) will be interested in how not just the Blackhawks are going, but how Cairns and Mackay are going as well. They will have access to all of those players to keep a close eye on the players.

Payne also suggested the rule change could apply the blowtorch to underperforming players in the Cowboys squad, with players outside of their squad hungry to come up and take their spot.

The rule change will hinge on the NRL remaining outside of a COVID-19 bubble which it has been for all of the pre-season.

It also comes after ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys declared his desire to return to hosting three games on game day including reserve grade and under-21 competitions. It is part of the chairman’s plan to return the code to its fans.

Miski was not a development player when he first played NRL with us, he was a Blacktown signing. There has been a few times Blacktown players were named in our 21. The only real change I see in all of this is that there does NOT need to be an injury crisis before these Blacktown players are used. It seems they can be used at any stage from Rd 11 onwards IF there performances warrant selection in NRL.

It certainly does seem players Isaac luke or Peats etc who are unsigned to a top 30 or development contract can now sign for a feeder side and not be roadblocked from a start in the NRL.

The only real change I see in all of this is that there does NOT need to be an injury crisis before these Blacktown players are used. It seems they can be used at any stage from Rd 11 onwards IF there performances warrant selection in NRL.

Agree .. and that is a huge difference ... it is no longer a last ditch emergency situation requiring 17 injured players to enact .. and it no longer needs the arbitrary approval of a slimey priik like GreenTurd to approve ...

What it also does is raise the interest in who is in our Blacktown squad by a factor of 10 .. and the watching of reggies by a factor of 15 ...

Perhaps somebody can find a list of the Blacktown squad for us ...

Perhaps somebody can find a list of the Blacktown squad for us ...
Haven't yet located the full squad, but several signings can be viewed on their FB page

Great news

No more resting on ones laurels because they are in the comfort zone of a 30 man squad

The NRL has opened the gates of opportunity to all players
All players that work hard and play hard

There are a lot of hungry for success Rockys out there in the lower grades who are looking for an opportunity to get a shot in the NRL and create history

Good luck to all the tenacious players out side the top NRL squad
Keep fighting relentlessly like the underdog
and Finish up like the Favourite for the top job
Rocky-quotes.jpg

Realistically this will only come into play if there are 1000 injuries, or if a rare unheralded superstar emerges.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6