Bill Harringan and Sean Hamstead on Matty Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
That was pretty funny. Harringan is still up himself and I still remember the run ins he had with Toovey but Bill and Hamstead (Mr Bean) were so better refs then he have today!

They asked Bill what he thought about today's refs and rate Archer (out of 10) .

Bill gave him 2! Said he needs to go and the game is going backwards. No correct play the balls, off sides, wrestle, scrums are a joke and the refs just let it go. He said if Cam smith came up and was in his face he would sit him on the sidelines for 10m.

Use to think he was a wan$ker (still is) but much much better than we have now. Mr bean was a crack up

Not sure if the following article has been posted here before but Harrigan makes a lot of sense.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...bill-harrigan?station=sydney&geoRedirect=true

Tony Archer Must Go, Writes Bill Harrigan
Bill Harrigan 27/07/2017

...The ‘Play The Ball’ has deteriorated into a joke. Less than 50% of PTB’s have a foot touch the ball or even go through the motion. Players play the ball facing side ways, they move off the mark and not to mention the amount of markers pushing the ball carrier over after he has played the ball. All go unpunished.

Player’s offside at kick offs and line dropouts.

Line dropouts are kicked in the field of play not behind the line.

Penalties are taken sometimes 3 metres in front of the mark.

Scrums are no longer bound. Back rowers stand resting their hands on the player in front of them watching the halfback. We know scrums will never go back to being a contest but surely we can make them look like a scrum.

Blockers on kick chasers. When did this become legal?

Players walk out ten metres from the try line as a conversion is kicked. The rule says they remain behind the line until the conversion is kicked.

Then we had the rhetoric at the beginning of the season. If a team continually gives penalties away close to the try line players will be sin binned. Anyone see that happening?

I could go on and on and some may say these are small things in the big picture. No they are not. They are the foundations of the game of rugby league. They are the easy things which can be policed and build the rest of the game on.

...It is time for Tony Archer to resign and show some dignity and move on.

If he doesn’t and I expect as much, the NRL needs to move him on for the sake of the game....

Whether Harrigan likes Manly or not is really irrelevant in the big scheme of things which is fixing the absolute mess that is the NRL referees.

Harrigan got sacked as the referees boss a few years back, but the reality is that he was 10 times better than Archer is and since he got the boot, the standard of NRL refs has seen a very big drop.

I don't like him but everything he says in that article is 100% correct. Tony Archer defending Peranara's crap effort against the Panthers was the final nail that showed he either has no clue or has a script to follow (latter being most likely).

The worst bit is when they come out with 'crack downs' on certain things from week to week... how about calling the game in line with the rules every week? That way it cuts out the confusion for fans, players and coaches.

Fwd passes are beyond a joke atm and flat passes are a blight on the game.

Bill hated us and i hated him but as much as i hate him he would go some way to fixing the current crap standards we are seeing. Only problem is he wouldn't be in line with what Toddy would want and therefore wouldn't get a look in.

I don't like him but everything he says in that article is 100% correct. Tony Archer defending Peranara's crap effort against the Panthers was the final nail that showed he either has no clue or has a script to follow (latter being most likely).

The worst bit is when they come out with 'crack downs' on certain things from week to week... how about calling the game in line with the rules every week? That way it cuts out the confusion for fans, players and coaches.

Fwd passes are beyond a joke atm and flat passes are a blight on the game.

Bill hated us and i hated him but as much as i hate him he would go some way to fixing the current crap standards we are seeing. Only problem is he wouldn't be in line with what Toddy would want and therefore wouldn't get a look in.
I agree. The weekly crack downs are akin to the double demerit points the police dish out during holidays. If there was consistent "policing" of the game's rules there would be no need for these reactive style crack downs. Just shows how inept the referees are when they have an agenda each week what to focus on, especially sometimes when it can be politically motivated or when a rival coach cries to the media about tactics deployed by a team they are about to play that round.

The worst bit is when they come out with 'crack downs' on certain things from week to week

I'm not disagreeing with you about that, but I personally think the worst part is when they change their focus after the Thursday or Friday night games.....i.e. halfway through a round. Things that may have been let go in those games, but caused enough of a stir in the media and/or on social media that suddenly they are policing harder for the rest of the round. And that is distinctly unfair to the teams playing on Saturday and Sunday.

He also said the two refs had to go. Back to only one ref a game and I agree. Can't stand the two refs, you get two totally different interpretations during the game. Its the worst it has been since I have been watching footy - over 30 years!

The forward passes leading to tries is killing me. What is it with manly and refs letting opposition get away with massive forward passes that lead to tries and win games. The Warriors on weekend, tigers 2 weeks ago which cost us the match, the GF in 2013 - will never get over that!

Parramatta push the boundaries constantly, especially offside and get away with it.

I think our play the balls are rubbish to be honest, but we certainly get some rough calls. Its an absolute lottery these days. Refs will end up deciding a semi or GF imo

Harrigan got sacked as the referees boss a few years back, but the reality is that he was 10 times better than Archer is and since he got the boot, the standard of NRL refs has seen a very big drop.
Yep, he was too good therefore he had to go, I think the 'owners' would be very happy with Archer.

Neither Harrigan or Archer were any good as refs bosses.

Hearing Harrigan on triple M a few times you can tell there are instructions given to them, even made comment about things being said to the refs at half time.

I never thought I would long for the days when Gallop was CEO and Harrigan was refs boss, but compared with what we have now I wish they'd both come back.

The treatment Manly has copped at times this year has been infuriating, but I also miss watching the contest between 2 other teams as an impartial fan. These days it feels more like watching a predicable scripted movie, where I can now with pretty good accuracy pinpoint where and when penalties will be given and which way decisions will go based on the teams involved and the scoreboard.

You just need to compare the NRL to the NFL to see what an absolute joke our refereeing is. In the NFL, you can be absolutely sure the game will be policed diligently and fairly to both sides. And they are sticklers for all the rules, not just this week's whim. Our game has become a massively subjective joke, to the point where the refereeing can and does dictate the outcome of games, which is a travesty. The problem of course is compounded by the inept so-called administrators, who frankly couldn't care less, because, quote frankly, there are zero repercussions for simply doing nothing. Who cares if a few fans kick up a stink, the money keeps rolling in. I have absolutely no idea what the 12 directors or whatever it is they call themselves do - they certainly don't seem to be holding anyone to account.

And in addition...the nfl also allow challenges to their on field rulings.

Though before I re-write history and laud Harrigan as the new dalai, he too admitted to reffing with pre conceived ideas about certain players. Which meant (as an example I used before) Watmough would never get a 50/50 call from him as in Bill's eyes....Choc was always at fault.

Neither Harrigan or Archer were any good as refs bosses.

Hearing Harrigan on triple M a few times you can tell there are instructions given to them, even made comment about things being said to the refs at half time.

Exactly. Harrigan was terrible. I remember very clearly him on the radio shortly after he was sacked openly bitching about how he hated Manly's style of play - and how it made perfect sense of the nonsensical penalties he used to blow against us.

But that of course doesn't mean that I think Archer is any good either. They're both terrible. Gavin Badger is the only current NRL referee that I have any respect for.

Last edited:
Any official or rugby league identity who is Anti Manly p*** me off before they even start to dribble.
But agree the way the game is reffed these days is s***
A massive part of this is 2 refs....unless....they both mark the game individually, as in the same ref takes on the attack - same ref marks the 10m, ect....otherwise they adjudicate completely different with inconsistencies over 5 minutes, let alone 80 minutes, having a major effect on the game.
Play balls are crap - I mean only 1/6 touches the boot, off the mark, sideways.
Bill - your still s*** - but agree with the call on todays refs.....

What are you all saying? He was a good ref in his day:

images

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4