Bidding Wars and the rise in the cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I think we all agree that it has been a disappointing year and we could do with some strengthening in a few key areas but I hope we don't panic buy and over pay for players with only 2017 in mind.

For mine our squad is actually pretty strong and now we are coming into a unique period with a host of stars coming off contract next year due to the increase in the salary cap.

To name a few in 2017 there are Hunt, Milford, McGuire, Roberts, Ofahengue, Arrow, Vaughan, Rapana, E Lee, Hopoate, Tolman, J Bird, Graham, Holmes , R James, Paasi, A Taylor, Chambers, Harris, Johnson, Matuline, B Thompson, Gagai, K Sims, Taumololo, Scott, Gutherson, Radradra, Blake, Peachey, Whare, Moylan, Watene-Zel......whatever, Johnston, Reynolds, Aitken, De-Belin, Evens, Guerra, Matterson, Napa, Pearce, JWH, Brroks, Moses, Tedesco, Woods

For mine, I hope we show restraint this year

Maybe something like

Out - Stewart, Lyon, Mateo, Taufua, Leary, Burgess, Hodges and at least one of Lawrence/Starling

In - Asofa-Solomona, Meehan, Mead, B Lee, give Hynes, Wright, Api or John a shot in 2016 and front load some contracts

1.Trbojevic
2.Mead
3.Matai
4.Walker
5.Lee
6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
7.DCE
8.Lussick
9.Parcell
10.Myles
11.Tapau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
17.Brown

Then at the end of next year, depending on players who breakout (Maybe Knight, Hynes etc) we could look at something like

Out - Matai

In - Woods/James, A Taylor/Moses/Bird, Aitken/Holmes

For mine beeter to take the risk on some yound players breaking out next year than paying overs for players like Blake Green (no disrespect for Green, solid player)

I think we all agree that it has been a disappointing year and we could do with some strengthening in a few key areas but I hope we don't panic buy and over pay for players with only 2017 in mind.

For mine our squad is actually pretty strong and now we are coming into a unique period with a host of stars coming off contract next year due to the increase in the salary cap.

To name a few in 2017 there are Hunt, Milford, McGuire, Roberts, Ofahengue, Arrow, Vaughan, Rapana, E Lee, Hopoate, Tolman, J Bird, Graham, Holmes , R James, Paasi, A Taylor, Chambers, Harris, Johnson, Matuline, B Thompson, Gagai, K Sims, Taumololo, Scott, Gutherson, Radradra, Blake, Peachey, Whare, Moylan, Watene-Zel......whatever, Johnston, Reynolds, Aitken, De-Belin, Evens, Guerra, Matterson, Napa, Pearce, JWH, Brroks, Moses, Tedesco, Woods

Maybe something like

Out - Stewart, Lyon, Mateo, Taufua, Leary, Burgess, Hodges and at least one of Lawrence/Starling

In - Asofa-Solomona, Meehan, Mead, B Lee, give Hynes, Wright, Api or John a shot in 2016 and front load some contracts

1.Trbojevic
2.Mead
3.Matai
4.Walker
5.Lee
6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
7.DCE
8.Lussick
9.Parcell
10.Myles
11.Tapau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
17.Brown

Then at the end of next year, depending on players who breakout (Maybe Knight, Hynes etc) we could look at something like

Out - Matai

For mine beeter to take the risk on some yound players breaking out next year than paying overs for players like Blake Green (no disrespect for Green, solid player)
I don't get to see the lower graders so I rely on the opinions of this forum but after making the gf in the 20s last year we don't seem to have much coming through. Sacking the coach was another great idea by management so that's probably a contributing factor but most of last year's 20s should be learning the trade in nsw cup by now. Hynes name keeps coming up as a 5/8 but I haven't seen him so dunno if he's ready for a shot. Nonetheless we should build a culture. Whatever we buy, buy young and let's get it rolling again. Beau Scott would be great imo as a bk type and I'd be going all out to get him and a 5/8 for next year to begin with.

Maybe something like

1.Trbojevic
2.Mead
3.Matai
4.Walker
5.Lee
6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
7.DCE
8.Lussick
9.Parcell
10.Myles
11.Tapau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
17.Brown

Out - Matai

I really think green is a must buy, we cannot have the pressure on DCE of having to do everything like this year. He has really been running the ball a lot more since having Lyon at 5/8 which has given him more freedom. 2017 is looking like this to me.

1: T Trbojevic
2: J Taufua
3: D Walker (gk)
4: B Lee
5: D Mead
6: B Green
7: D Cherry-Evans (c)
8: D Lussick
9: A Koroisau
10: N Myles
11: M Taupau
12: J Buhrer (vc)
13. J Trbojevic (c)

14: M Parcell
15: A Fonua-Blake
16: L Knight
17: S Vave

18. M Wright
19. W Meehan
20. B Williame
21. L Brown

Obviously we will probably sign some other depth players but that is all we have ATM. Green is a must, Koroisau I think by the end of the year will be a better option at 9, Lee as our power winger. Taufua to get re signed i think he will work on those kick takes. That team is a top 8 side with some good luck with injuries and some good coaching. I think we should save a lot of our money for some really good forwards and re signing the turbos. Next year we should sign a good prop (JWH), a centre (Gutherson or Whare), And a backrower or bench forward (Manu Ma'u or Vaughan)

Last edited:
Matai won't be there 2017 & the players Disco named are spot on...the theory of buying the best of the worst is a poor option...we all want instant results, but with Disco's realistic team & with minimal injury...be very competitive in 2017, with 2018 serious contenders.
I rate Taufua who is missing, but can understand concern due to errors, particularly under the high ball...still a power runner who would look far better with some quality ball to show his ability.

Last edited:
Matai won't be there 2017 & the players Disco named are spot on...the theory of buying the best of the worst is a poor option...we all want instant results, but with Disco's realistic team & with minimal injury...be very competitive in 2017, with 2018 serious contenders.
Yes but I would prefer Skivvi there next year despite his injuries, who do you replace him with? Maybe Whare if we could get him to get out of his panthers contract for a first grade spot? Or maybe Lee to centre and wright or Williame on the wing. And I agree with the comment on it being a competitive side, it's top 8 Quilty just need things to go our way, if we get a Quality prop and centre for 2018 we will be in the hunt.

I rate Taufua who is missing, but can understand concern due to errors, particularly under the high ball...still a power runner who would look far better with some quality ball to show his ability.
And yes there is more to a player than one flaw, you take out his problems under the high ball he is still one of the best wingers in the comp. I'd like to see how semi would cope having everything down his edge and having as much pressure as Jorge has on him.

Yes but I would prefer Skivvi there next year despite his injuries, who do you replace him with? Maybe Whare if we could get him to get out of his panthers contract for a first grade spot? Or maybe Lee to centre and wright or Williame on the wing. And I agree with the comment on it being a competitive side, it's top 8 Quilty just need things to go our way, if we get a Quality prop and centre for 2018 we will be in the hunt.
Tough to find the Matai centre replacement, always felt Taufua there would be great attack wise & like Matai...up & in to belt them defensively...provided he can handle decision making 1 in.... Plus- no more bomb scares!! OR ... If Lee does make the Sea change, is a strong young centre who played juniors at centre & could be suprisingly good.....
Yes a prop also agree but the 5/8 dilemma still there....this Green option on the cheap just may work till the Taylor / Bird option is there come 2018.

Tough to find the Matai centre replacement, always felt Taufua there would be great attack wise & like Matai...up & in to belt them defensively...provided he can handle decision making 1 in.... Plus- no more bomb scares!! OR ... If Lee does make the Sea change, is a strong young centre who played juniors at centre & could be suprisingly good.....
Yes a prop also agree but the 5/8 dilemma still there....this Green option on the cheap just may work till the Taylor / Bird option is there come 2018.

Tom Turbo

And yes there is more to a player than one flaw, you take out his problems under the high ball he is still one of the best wingers in the comp. I'd like to see how semi would cope having everything down his edge and having as much pressure as Jorge has on him.
Have you seen other wingers in the comp, because the Jorge of the past few years is not one of the best.

His ability to run the ball back hard occasionally does not negate the massive flaws in his game.

Also the reason he sees so much work is because he is a known liability.

Last edited:

Maybe something like

1.Trbojevic
2.Mead
3.Matai
4.Walker
5.Lee
6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
7.DCE
8.Lussick
9.Parcell
10.Myles
11.Tapau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
17.Brown

Out - Matai

I think they'll try to have Matai retire on medical grounds which is probably the best thing for his long term health plus he still gets paid.

Maybe something like

1.Trbojevic
2.Mead
3.Matai
4.Walker
5.Lee
6.Api/John/Hynes/Wright
7.DCE
8.Lussick
9.Parcell
10.Myles
11.Tapau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Asofa-Solomona
16.Knight/Meehan/Vave
17.Brown

Out - Matai

100% agree mate. There has to be patience with recruitment given the quality that is on the market now is nowhere near that of what will be on the market next year with the rise in salary cap at the end of 2017.

With Lyon confirmed and Matai, Snake heavily linked to leaving.
A backline of
Turbo
Mead
Walker
Whare
Lee
Green
DCE

To me seems Highley possible and would have to improve our cap situation.
I can't see anyone of those new players coming close in cap value to those that are leaving considering Manly known to backend contracts.

This would leave players such as wright and Williame as depth

With Lyon confirmed and Matai, Snake heavily linked to leaving.
A backline of
Turbo
Mead
Walker
Whare
Lee
Green
DCE

To me seems Highley possible and would have to improve our cap situation.
I can't see anyone of those new players coming close in cap value to those that are leaving considering Manly known to backend contracts.

This would leave players such as wright and Williame as depth
Mead, Lee and Green would all take snakes 650k and Matai and Lyons money could be saved for a big forward and re signing the Turbos

I worry that Whare is fairly injury prone. He is very talented but spends heaps of time on the sideline.
Wished we'd held on to Gutherson, I think he could of held down a permanent spot and it always feels good to know you've supported a local junior. Hopefully he finds his way home someday.

We should get hoppa back

Should be cheap as he doesn't play on Sundays but neither do we so wont be an issue
If we brought him back we would go from 7 Monday night games to 24 Sunday Arvo games overnight.

I think the premise of this thread is misguided. It starts off saying that we already have a strong squad of players. The problem is keeping them on the field.
Therefore, I'd suggest that our priority is having a team of conditioners and medicos that can minimise injuries. And, I'm sure, they would be on a salary far less than many of those players nominated earlier to be recruited.

Api is really growing into a decent running half. He deserves a shot for the rest of the year.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6