Best interview Ever "Snake Stewart"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Ok the interview was called "bloke in a bar"....featured Beau Ryan being interviewed...
Bit of swearing (nothing over the Top) and a really legitimate show - went 4 - 5 minutes (that I seen)
Beau talking of coming from down South and playing in a team with the Stewarts and Brett was just outstanding...didn't play reps or anything, yet destroyed all those who did....Beau says they just gave him the ball and could not be stopped.
They went on to talk about other fullbacks, namely Billy Slater and Beau was convinced Stewart was even way above Slater and no doubt the best 1 in the game.
Talked about his injuries (back) and diabetes which he was plagued with, yet still absolutely outstanding above any other player....also about that family who tried scamming him and what crap it was....I kind of like Beau a little more after that...great zero BS interview...if someone knows how to add it, much appreciated...

I'm glad snake was part of our team and is one of our best fullbacks ever but Slater was a better player.
In saying that I wouldn't of swapped them.
Both outstanding...Slater did in fact play at a higher standard for longer, but I think Snake had the higher all round ceiling when both at their peak....
Tough to judge though, as there are numerous reasons you could go either way, but good to hear Beau Ryan rate Snake so highly.

Slater until later in his career had no injuries, if Snake had a similar run he would have ended up being considered a better player. IMO.
That is what I think as well. Snake missed a lot of football in his prime. If he had more luck with injury, imagine his final try scoring tally. Clever and underrated ball player as well. Slater also had the benefit of a far superior Qld team to play behind.

This really rankles me and I’ve argued it before, but Snake was an all-round better footballer than Slater. He had more skills and it was only injury that stopped him being spoken of like Slater is. There’s no doubt that at the end of 2008 he was the number one fb in the game, but unfortunately we know what happened after that.
He was at least as quick, but put Slater in the shade when it came to ball playing. Have a look at his highlight reel and see some of the tries he set up with nothing but great hands. Slater had speed and anticipation but that’s where it ended. Snake had that and more.

Snake definitely the better all round fullback.

Slater might have shaded Snake in terms of attack and his ability to push up around the ruck and support play, but he did have Smith and Cronk to work off. Snake had better ball playing ability, was quicker, and had a better try scoring strikerate though.

Snake better defensively and positionally. Snake less prone to match losing howlers.

Snake also a much better bloke than that grub. No rugby league rule had to be changed because Snake was sliding in feet first to injure players. No rugby league rule had to be changed because Snake caught bombs with his leg locked straight at 90deg to take out opposition players attempting to compete for the ball.

Injury and Gallop cost him some of his prime years. Have said it many times, if he stayed fit he'd have run down Irvines try scoring record I reckon.

Snake definitely the better all round fullback.

Slater might have shaded Snake in terms of attack and his ability to push up around the ruck and support play, but he did have Smith and Cronk to work off. Snake had better ball playing ability, was quicker, and had a better try scoring strikerate though.

Snake better defensively and positionally. Snake less prone to match losing howlers.

Snake also a much better bloke than that grub. No rugby league rule had to be changed because Snake was sliding in feet first to injure players. No rugby league rule had to be changed because Snake caught bombs with his leg locked straight at 90deg to take out opposition players attempting to compete for the ball.

Injury and Gallop cost him some of his prime years. Have said it many times, if he stayed fit he'd have run down Irvines try scoring record I reckon.
Exactly that.

These two were quite similar in some ways, both very good at marshalling defence etc. But Snake had the higher ceiling and could have gone 220+ tries with some injury luck. His 0.7 try strike rate includes the later years where he was scoring fewer owing ot injury. He might have kept it at 0.75 or higher with fewer injuries - if he'd played 300 games, you can do the math.

I remember him passing the ball to KF close to the line in one game, Foran had not scored in a few games. Sort of looked like, here mate, you can get your try ha ha . Great to see that spirit, he was not just out for himself to get the try scoring record.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Snake was selected to debut for Australia at fullback in about 2007/2008, against New Zealand ie: selected ahead of Slater. That was the game that Matai (ironically), took out Gasnier quite early and he went off injured. Kurt Gidley was on the bench, and the coach shifted Snake out to the wing and put Gidley at fullback. Opportunity lost for Brett. From memory, the next time an Aussie test team was picked, Brett was out injured, in came Slater, and the rest is history !

I paraphrase, but in the interview Ryan said, he hated playing Manly, getting bashed by Matai, Watmough, Tafua and sometimes Tony Williams. Ryan went on to say when Brett Stewart ran out to his comeback game against the Tigers, you’d think there was a million people at the ground.

Good days, eh..

An interesting stat - despite playing less club games than Slater, Snake had a better strike rate:

Snake - 163 tries in 233 games = 70%.
Slater - 190 tries in 319 games = 60%.
Very impressive and superior strike rate
At his peak he was as dominant and destructive as a player can be
Bad luck with Injury and bad luck with the incompetence of the NRL stalled his progress of rising to greater heights

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6