Best halves combination in the world

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
After reading millions of posts on the respective Foran & DCE threads we actually won a game and won quite well with neither of them. Go Figure. We're all these posts in vain?
Sorry just thought this was quite monumental. Looking forward to having DCE back.

True mate but we need dce dont we . The biggest problem for trent is how and where to keep api? That boy needs to be in there somewhere. 1. Walker to centre drop either killer or skivvy , nope thats not going to happen so what do we do ? Im sure api got best on ground again so you cant have a player like him with 2 best games playing regies. Where do we put him ? Bench and drop who . What a headache but a good one to have .

And if Api comes out and has a shocker against the Speels on Thursday night people will be calling for his head and begging DCE to come back ASAP.

I agree with Pablo, our halves were ok and they improved from last week, but it really was a team effort. Personally I thought T-Red should have got the MoM award. In a dominant forward pack he stood out last night.

Look, we know Killer isn't going to get dropped and nor should he. Skivy is in good form so he won't get dropped and Walker is going to be our 5/8 as long as he keeps improving and Barrett wants him there. The reality is that when DCE comes back its going to be Api who is dropped to the bench or NSW Cup. Maybe in the future when either Killer or Skivy retire we can think about putting Walker in the centres and playing Api at 5/8 alongside DCE, but for the foreseeable future its not going to happen. Api will remain what he currently is, a fill-in hooker or half. He's not the #1 hooker and he's not about to usurp any of the backline.

I don't see Api as a long term halves solution at either 6 or 7. He's done well as a stop gap for the last couple of games, but that's it. Defensively strong (as you'd expect from a hooker) but skill set is limited in attack. We could do worse then have him on the bench though.

I don't see Api as a long term halves solution at either 6 or 7. He's done well as a stop gap for the last couple of games, but that's it. Defensively strong (as you'd expect from a hooker) but skill set is limited in attack. We could do worse then have him on the bench though.
I agree with you, especially concerning Api's lack of ability to feed the outside backs with quality early ball, but I wouldn't mind if he coached DCE on the effectiveness of repeats sets. Sometimes DCE goes for the clutch play too often when building pressure would be better.

If dce doesn't stop running sideways & run more with the ball then api should stay there.These 2 are starting a good combination.

Sorry old mate but I don't see it.

They are both individually playing well and doing good, even great stuff, but neither is an accomplished playmaker, or skilled enough to truly direct the attack.

DCE played behind too flogged packs lead by green and brown, behind the last two weeks packs he would have soared.

For the past 12 months or so DCE had almost always played behind a beaten pack here at Manly. In two games at halfback with DCE out injured Api has played behind a dominant forward pack.

Consistently give DCE the same dominant forwards we've had in the past 2 games and he'd make Api look like an amateur. Yes Api improved last night and his kicking game was better, but he still needs to learn how and when to pass to his outside supports, and frankly so does Walker, though in his defence they gave him no peace last night. That was one aspect of the Warriors game that they got right, they shut down Walker's running game.

I agree with @Chip and Chase, the way he's playing Api does at least deserve a spot on the bench when Chez returns, but he's only a fill-in at best right now who happens to have been lucky enough to play behind a dominant forward pack the two times we've had to play him at halfback.

Last edited:
For the past 12 months or so DCE had almost always played behind a beaten pack here at Manly. In two games at halfback with DCE out injured Api has played behind a dominant forward pack.

Consistently give DCE the same dominant forwards we've had in the past 2 games and he'd make Api look like an amateur. Yes Api improved last night and his kicking game was better, but he still needs to learn how and when to pass to his outside supports, and frankly so does Walker, though in his defence they gave him no peace last night. That was one aspect of the Warriors game that they got right, they shut down Walker's running game.

I agree with @Chip and Chase, the way he's playing Api does at least deserve a spot on the bench when Chez returns, but he's only a fill-in at best right now who happens to have been lucky enough to play behind a dominant forward pack the two times we've had to play him at halfback.

put Api on the bench instead of Louis Brown .... I thought LB played well while he was on last night but I think Api would give more options from the bench

put Api on the bench instead of Louis Brown .... I thought LB played well while he was on last night but I think Api would give more options from the bench

Can't really argue with that, but the question will be.....is Barrett going to drop a current Kiwi international who really hasn't been that bad. We know he's not a starting second rower but he's been good off the bench.

Still, Api is also a current test player. He's the incumbent Fijian hooker.

And where does Ferris fit into it all when he's over his current injury?

Interesting times coming up really.

Can't really argue with that, but the question will be.....is Barrett going to drop a current Kiwi international who really hasn't been that bad. We know he's not a starting second rower but he's been good off the bench.

Still, Api is also a current test player. He's the incumbent Fijian hooker.

And where does Ferris fit into it all when he's over his current injury?

Interesting times coming up really.

yep ... finally some good problems

For the first time in a long time here at Manly we might end up seeing current test players in reserve grade...er...NSW Cup.

Remember back to the early 80's when we regularly saw guys like Ray Brown and even Fatty for a time running around in reserve grade.

For the first time in a long time here at Manly we might end up seeing current test players in reserve grade...er...NSW Cup.

Remember back to the early 80's when we regularly saw guys like Ray Brown and even Fatty for a time running around in reserve grade.

I have a memory of Froggs Eyes (Gartner) being chosen to play for Australia in the 1977 Brisbane game against the Poms out of the reggies. After playing for Aust he came back to manly and straight back into reserve grade.

I have a memory of Froggs Eyes (Gartner) being chosen to play for Australia in the 1977 Brisbane game against the Poms out of the reggies. After playing for Aust he came back to manly and straight back into reserve grade.

IIRC Gary Freeman was picked to captain New Zealand in the 1991 series against Australia and Balmain coach Alan Jones (he of the radio) had him playing reserve grade at the time. And unless I'm mistaken he remained in reserve grade for the rest of the year before he left to join Easts.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7