Best Backline of 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
Didn't want to suprise seaeagles4life. :p

On a serious note, not just coz i support them, i still dont see a backline as strong as Manly's.

Thoughts?

Difficult question... With Wolfman in, we probably do, but there's several clubs i.e. Newcastle, Parra, Tigers, Cowboys, Warriors who would come very close to matching ours.

Manly To Win! said:
Difficult question... With Wolfman in, we probably do, but there's several clubs i.e. Newcastle, Parra, Tigers, Cowboys, Warriors who would come very close to matching ours.

Every player minus 1 winger in our backline is an international. And won a premiership or 2 Noone else comes close.

Napper said:
Didn't want to suprise seaeagles4life. :p

On a serious note, not just coz i support them, i still dont see a backline as strong as Manly's.

Thoughts?

haha and I didnt even have wait till tomorrow :p

yeah and i agree manly have the right mix of experienced centres inside of blazing fast wingers and a proven premiership winning halves combo, and b.stewart speaks for himself in the fullback position. the teams that come close are warriors who are one centre short of a really good backline and maybe dragons or cowboys.

Napper said:
Manly To Win! said:

Every player minus 1 winger in our backline is an international. And won a premiership or 2 Noone else comes close.

First, premierships won does not necessarily indicate quality in an individual player. Look at Shane Perry. Second, if you're going to base it on that:

Brisbane - Beale, Reed, Hodges and Yow Yeh have all played Tests and Hoffman would have if not for injuries
Newcastle - Boyd, Sau, Uate and Naiqama (Fiji) have all played Tests and McManus has played for NSW
Warriors - Locke, Ropati, Inu and Vatuvei have played for NZ and Tupou got called up to the NZ 4 Nations Squad this year

I think those 3 in particular would come very close to matching us.

Not being 1 eyed- well trying not to be I think the major thing that makes Manly a clear cut winner in the backline stakes is the quality young halves who simply dominate by miles.
The centre pairing Matai/Lyon are also pretty clear winners. Add the worlds best fullback & arguably Manlys most influential player - Snake & it gets more dominating. Any winger could look good outside these inside players but Wolf is in the top 5 wingers & Oldfield is a potential rep player though admittedly still very green atm.
Others who can tear any team apart are Tigers, NZ when they dominate the ruck 1st & Souths left side attack (is it cheating to include Dave Taylor chiming into the backline) with Inglis outside. Also have Merritt & others who can score from nothing. Apart from that most teams have a star or 2 where the Seaeagles only have a questionmark on the wings.

We may also have the backline most prone to injury. Depth in the backs will be interesting this year. Matai, Snake, Wolfy out at the same time could see us drop a couple of games this year. We will miss Robbo and Hoppa, that's for sure.

Yeah, he's gone for the bucks that's for sure. And signing with the Eels makes it hard to sing his praises, but the weasel was bloody good and the team will miss him and his input.

Our line up is pretty hard to go past to be honest.

But when TRex was in the centres for a few games last year it was another story...

so when someone goes to another club for more money they are a weasel, but when they come to us for more money they are "improving themselves".

is that how it works??

We've lost a bit on the wings but no backline comes close to ours really and I'd say we'd have the no 1 combinations in the NRL in our havles and centres and a champion fullback. Easily the best.

When all our boys are fit & firing yep we'll have the best backline in 2012 but a few injuries & our depth will really be tested. We will of course miss Hoppa & Robbo but it's time for the young guns to step up!

Fro said:
so when someone goes to another club for more money they are a weasel, but when they come to us for more money they are "improving themselves".

is that how it works??

Yes. What's your point?

Theres no arguement that Hoppas asking price was way too much & imagine a bidding war starting at those numbers. After Hayne gets his next contract the rest of Parras players will be on NSW cup money. Then theres Sandow at $750,000 - add Hoppa & Hayne at similar dollars & the pie is half goneskis!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4