Best and worst of NRL coaches BUZZ BLOG

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Buzz from telegraph website topic of the day is best to worst Coaches

1 Des Hasler

2 Wayne Bennett

3 Craig Bellamy

4 Kevin Moore

5 John Cartwright

6 Ricky Stuart

7 Neil Henry

8 Jason Taylor

9 Tim Sheens

10 Matt Elliott

11 Ivan Cleary

12 Brian Smith

13 David Furner

14 Daniel Anderson

15 Ivan Henjak

16 Brad Fittler

Good to see he rates Des

I think Bellamy is over rated and think Tim Sheens is better than a few others

Kevin Moore is getting a good run considering he has only been in the job for half a year.....

Would have thought consistent success was a criteria (i.e. when Taylor took over Parra at the back end of the that year and they won a heap of games...)

Congrats Des on being #1

Hard to go past Wayne Bennet though as the #1 coach and sheens has shown he can take anybody to the GF.

Sheens has failed to get anything out of the Tigers since 05.  haven't made the 8 since.  Taylor is crap, along with Fittler.  Stuart is just a dog.  You'd have to give Furner and Henjak a few more years surely.. 

DSM5 link said:
Sheens has failed to get anything out of the Tigers since 05.  haven't made the 8 since.  Taylor is crap, along with Fittler.  Stuart is just a dog.  You'd have to give Furner and Henjak a few more years surely.. 

He won a premiership with a team everyone though were too small, they have lost a lot of players since and had a bad run with injuries as well.

He is Australian coach too so cant be that bad now can he

Yes he can.  The 05 result was an aberration similar to Ox's Dally M.  It seems that he's paid well overs for some in his team so putting constraints with regard to recruitment.  Letting Hodgson go was a mistake in my book.  he was the steadying player in that group.  Anyway, as if I care about them or him.     

DSM, you should know as well as anyone "Letting" players go isnt really the club or the coaches choice.

On one had you say he pays overs, yet you expect him to pay overs to keep their steadying player......

Get off the merry-go-round mate

I agree to an extent with DSM on Sheens

I read last year, that since leaving that great Canberra side, he has a record of about 35% since then. Has had 8 years at the Tigers I think, and only 1 time have they made the 8, when they went on to win it. He has had a good enough side to make the finals the past few years

I don't know how he gets the soft run in the media, with very little talk about him, with his recent record

2005 Jatz.  Dan, 'letting' players go is the club's choice, and Sheens seems to run that club.  I didn't say he had to pay overs to keep players like Marshall or Farrah but I do know that they didn't make Hodgo an offer to say..   

Being able to build a club from nothing and then win a premiership is the thing that the top coaches can do. Sheens did it with the Tigpies but has not been able to recreate it. His Canberra and Penrith days add weight to his credentials.

Brian Smith has built successful teams and clubs but has not been able to take the final step. However, GFs with St G, Parra and a good Newcastle side, being left Johns-less also lend support that he can coach. Bennett has had great success with the Brisbane leg-up and his success up till now with the Draglers also is impressive, though winning after the 15th September is their yearly challenge. Bellamy has won one premiership but probably should have done better with the playing personnel. Which coach is ready for the big step up - anybodys guess?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4