Beaver's SMH story

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Steve Menzies has a weekly piece in the SMH, Here is his 1st story

Dear Matty, make sure you pack some boardshorts

THERE are a couple of things I'm really looking forward to as I get settled in England. The first is pulling on the Bradford jersey for my Super League debut tomorrow (Australian time). And the other is seeing what Matt Orford is wearing when the Manly boys step off the plane here for the World Club Challenge against Leeds. I received an email from "Ox" during the week asking what the weather is like over here. One of the first things he asked was: "Do I need to bring boardshorts?"

As I write this, I've taken a peek out the window of our Headingley home and all I can see is snow! It's about a foot deep on the ground, which is certainly a bit of a change from what Matty and I are used to on the northern beaches! In fact, they reckon it's the most snow they've had in February for about 20 years.

Our first friendly (that's what they call trials over here) was a pretty interesting initiation to rugby league in England. We played Dewsbury, and it would have been about 3 degrees, with mud right up to your ankles. It's one of several things I'm getting used to.

Another is pulling on the jumper. I must admit I did look a bit strange and felt a bit weird wearing after so many years playing for Manly. But I'm enjoying some new experiences. Like walking on snow or wearing a beanie to training every day!

One thing that won't change is my trusty headgear. When I ran out for our second trial against Whitehaven, our prop Nick Scruton just kept staring at my head. Finally, in a thick northern accent, he said: "Ay laddy, that's a fine headgear indeed!"

I scored a try in that game - I only had to run about eight metres - but the thing I remember most was the crowd and how vocal they were. I heard them start a chant and then they were singing all these songs. I couldn't really understand what they were saying at the time, but later one of the English boys said they were singing about me! We're playing Harlequins first up, and there will be plenty of familiar faces. Not only are there a lot of Aussies, there are a lot of ex-Manly boys in the London side. There's Chad Randall, Luke Dorn, Luke Williamson and Daniel Heckenberg. It's always a bit more fun playing against guys you know. I was on the phone to Chad the other day and told him we were doing videos on him out of dummy-half, but I couldn't tell him any more!

That's it from me for now. I have to go and reply to Matty Orford's email. I'll tell him to pack a few pairs of boardies for the WCC. In fact, I'll be telling him that's all he needs.

Good to see he's doing regular articles. Playing in that cold weather you'd expect players to injure Hammy's etc. Hopefully he gets through the season un-injured.

DUFFMAN link said:
I was on the phone to Chad the other day and told him we were doing videos on him out of dummy-half, but I couldn't tell him any more!
As if you need a video to tell what Chad will do from dummy half??? :) He will go the blind and then toss a wild pass inside just as if he is about to be bundled out.

Interesting that Matabele's love child Henkenburg is still running around over there.

I'll stand up for Hecks any day too. He was one of the few players who could hold his head up in a era of disgraceful performances. Just seeing his name brought back memories of his efforts.

ManlyBacker link said:
He was one of the few players who could hold his head up in a era of disgraceful performances.

Well with Chad & Dorn in the same article you should be able to remember the disgraceful performances more easily

I agree MB, Hecks always tried hard and steamed ahead with no regard to the crook back that awaits him ten years from now. 

Hecks was gutsy in a pack that was not up to the job. However he was 20 kg short of what was needed to really excel at the top level, though I for one was in awe of many of his performances. Would he make the 17 now though???  Not too many of the other English 'losses' would get a run.

Hecks was good, and probably stood out in our pack simply because we were that bad, but I think some of this is going over the top. 20 kilos too light? That's crazy talk. I don't think he would've ever been in the 90s while he was at Manly, more likely the 100-110 kg range.

And as for whether he'd made our current 17, I'd say no way in hell. We have two current internationals as our starting front row. I would have Bryant ahead of Hecks most days of the week.

Hecks was a toiler. He did a very good job in '04 when our pack was awful, and was commendable in his lesser role in '05 when we had BK calling for the ball every second tackle.

You are probably right about his weight and 20 KG is over the top. However, in terms of power and impact he seemed lightweight. He was a toiler, with a great work ethic and industry.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4