• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eaglette Fan

Reserve Grader
I guess many of you would have seen this you tube showing just how great Beaver was. Looking at some of it I think Gift has modeled his game on Beavers'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLzoAcImfI

Shoe1 said:
Some passing maybe, but I don't recall gifty running in try after try like that!

Agreed. They don't really have too many similar playing characteristics.

Just about the best bloke the game of rugby league has produced.

Masked Eagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Some passing maybe, but I don't recall gifty running in try after try like that!

Agreed. They don't really have too many similar playing characteristics.

Just about the best bloke the game of rugby league has produced.

Yeah no real similarity at all!

To think that all of the highlights on that clip came from a 34 year old forward In the final year of a 15 year NRL career. Amazing. I have never seen a better back rower in all my time watching the game. Should be an immortal IMO but I know it won't happen.

You may not know this but apparently Buhrer is faster than Beaver was and is deceptively so. He has a huge stride and acceleration (watch the Cowboys semi from 2011) and it is shown when he's involved in the Ballin try.

Grant (ground announcer) will just need to say Bhuuuurer rather than Beeeeaver in years to come, as Ferris just doesn't cut it.

But, there'll never be the same Beaver. None are ever the same. They may come in different heights, shapes, widths and speed but there's only one Steve Menzies.

rmd said:
You may not know this but apparently Buhrer is faster than Beaver was and is deceptively so. He has a huge stride and acceleration (watch the Cowboys semi from 2011) and it is shown when he's involved in the Ballin try.

Grant (ground announcer) will just need to say Bhuuuurer rather than Beeeeaver in years to come, as Ferris just doesn't cut it.

But, there'll never be the same Beaver. None are ever the same. They may come in different heights, shapes, widths and speed but there's only one Steve Menzies.

Menzies ability was not just speed. He had a great jink and swerve as well as a fend and could often almost jump out of a tackle. And he had one asset Buhrer unfortunately can never have....Cliffy

Along with cliffy Lyons my favourite. Never had nor needed niggle or high shots in his game. Never missed a tackle that needed making. I know attacking he was brilliant but only manly fans or the rare unbiased judge of a good footballer realised what he brought to the table defensive wise. If killer extends it will be those three for me for a season or two before I have to say Watmough Menzies Lyon Lyons and the Stewart's. And tooves too. As a thirty two year old I can't say too much about the players before my time but those blokes were and are sensational. I have never seen a ball player like C.Lyons though and never will.

As much as I Iove the Beaver, having watched and supported Manly since 1968, Bob Fulton would be my first pick in any team and in the backrow I'd have Reilly, Norton and Lowe/McCabe with Beaver off the bench. He's a brilliant player but in the early ruck I'd still have the others mentioned starting the game.

Imagine Beaver and Cleal on the bench?

The great thing about Beaver was his positioning and running off Cliffy, but as was proved later in his career, the gaps reduced as coaches became aware of his positioning and he scored more out wide and in support than through the centre.

However, as a defender, he is the A typical example of how to tackle for kids and he would definitely be in any Manly team I selected of any players in the last 40 years, but coming off the bench.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7