Baz, it's time to leave Manly – and no, you don't deserve a cent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle007

Reserve Grader
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/04/baz-its-time-to-leave-manly-and-no-you-dont-deserve-a-cent/

If you want evidence of the gulf between working in professional sports and the real world, the drama playing out at Manly would be exhibit A.

After three unremarkable seasons as coach, Trent Barrett has been replaced at the helm by former Sea Eagles mentor Des Hasler.

Except the reason Des is back at the club where he won two premierships isn’t because Manly sacked Barrett – rather, it’s because Barrett tendered his resignation.

Word is that Baz was sick of the club’s crappy facilities and general lack of resources, so he handed in his 12 months’ notice – in July. And, by the look of things, he assumed he’d simply be paid out and move on.

But the Sea Eagles board clearly see things differently. Their take on the situation is that Barrett is an employee who has given his notice, so he can see that period of notice out and be paid for services rendered.

Honestly, is that such a crazy position to take? If you gave notice at your place of work, would you expect to be able to just not turn up ever again but still get paid?

When I’ve quit jobs, it’s played out in one of two scenarios: see out the notice period and hand over the gig to the next person, or walk away on the day and simply get paid out any leave owed.

I’m sure there are other ways – I’m not exactly an expert on industrial relations – but I daresay that’s the way it goes for most people.

Yet by all reports, Barrett wants to bail on the joint but be paid as though he was still head coach of an NRL team until July next year.

Read: I’m out. Now give me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Where else but in the world of pro sports would that be even remotely entertained?

And where else but in the world of pro sports would people think Barrett was in the right?

This week, the man who should be captain of the Sea Eagles, Jake Trbojevic, urged his employers to stop acting “childish” and just give Barrett the six figures he doesn’t want to work for.

“I think that has to be sorted soon,” Trbojevic said. “I think they just have to pay him out. That would be the sensible option. I don’t think making him turn up would be very sensible.

“If they made him coach 20s or something like that – he is such a good coach – if they did that, it would be a bit childish. I think they need to pay him out.”

Trent-Barrett.jpg

(AAP Image/Paul Miller)

Jake, buddy, no. You’ve been a first-grade footy player since you were a teenager, so your perspective is understandably warped. But in the real world, you don’t get paid eight months’ salary for quitting.

That Manly would possibly ask Barrett to coach a lower-grade team is not childish, it’s actually a very grown-up thing to do.

Coaches cost money – even the bloke blowing the whistle at teenagers tends to have a full-time, well-remunerated gig. And Manly have got two first-grade mentors on the books. Re-deploying the one who isn’t going to be there next August – and, no offence intended, has little work history and a patchy record – to apply his skills at a different part of the club makes sense if he expects to continue being paid.

From the outside looking in, the Sea Eagles are a shambles at the moment, due in no small part to poor financial management. So that the board aren’t willing to just give someone a few hundred grand should be a rare point of pride for fans.

Some – like Jake and his brother, Kangaroos star Tom Trbojevic – believe Barrett has been hard done by and therefore played the only card he had, which was to quit.

But Barrett’s an NRL coach who gave 12 months’ notice in July. Surely he realised after making such a move, his position was untenable. How could the 2019 first-grade squad be expected to turn up and give their absolute all for a bloke who was going to bail on them two months out from the finals? And who was supposed to take the helm as the team limped to the finish line?

And of course Trent Barrett knows a lame-duck coach means an uncompetitive team – the guy played over 300 games of first grade and rep footy.

Yet he pressed ahead and told the club he was quitting. The minute he pulled that letter out of his pocket, his time at Manly had to end well before his period of notice. But he’s still digging in his heels and turning up to work so as not to be in breach of contract, in what must be a toxic environment for him and anyone he deals with in a professional capacity.

Baz, it’s time to stop the bleeding. And since you made this mess – yes, yes, facilities aren’t good enough, everyone’s mean to you, my porridge is too cold – you should clean it up.

Either go coach the club’s Harold Matthews side – in a comp that ends around the start of June, at which point you’d probably have accrued enough holidays to call it a day – or cash in your leave and head back to the Illawarra.

They’re the two options we people in the real world have. And if you don’t pick one of them, you’ll have such a reputation among NRL clubs that you’ll soon find yourself as one of us.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/04/baz-its-time-to-leave-manly-and-no-you-dont-deserve-a-cent/

If you want evidence of the gulf between working in professional sports and the real world, the drama playing out at Manly would be exhibit A.

After three unremarkable seasons as coach, Trent Barrett has been replaced at the helm by former Sea Eagles mentor Des Hasler.

Except the reason Des is back at the club where he won two premierships isn’t because Manly sacked Barrett – rather, it’s because Barrett tendered his resignation.

Word is that Baz was sick of the club’s crappy facilities and general lack of resources, so he handed in his 12 months’ notice – in July. And, by the look of things, he assumed he’d simply be paid out and move on.

But the Sea Eagles board clearly see things differently. Their take on the situation is that Barrett is an employee who has given his notice, so he can see that period of notice out and be paid for services rendered.

Honestly, is that such a crazy position to take? If you gave notice at your place of work, would you expect to be able to just not turn up ever again but still get paid?

When I’ve quit jobs, it’s played out in one of two scenarios: see out the notice period and hand over the gig to the next person, or walk away on the day and simply get paid out any leave owed.

I’m sure there are other ways – I’m not exactly an expert on industrial relations – but I daresay that’s the way it goes for most people.

Yet by all reports, Barrett wants to bail on the joint but be paid as though he was still head coach of an NRL team until July next year.

Read: I’m out. Now give me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Where else but in the world of pro sports would that be even remotely entertained?

And where else but in the world of pro sports would people think Barrett was in the right?

This week, the man who should be captain of the Sea Eagles, Jake Trbojevic, urged his employers to stop acting “childish” and just give Barrett the six figures he doesn’t want to work for.

“I think that has to be sorted soon,” Trbojevic said. “I think they just have to pay him out. That would be the sensible option. I don’t think making him turn up would be very sensible.

“If they made him coach 20s or something like that – he is such a good coach – if they did that, it would be a bit childish. I think they need to pay him out.”

Trent-Barrett.jpg

(AAP Image/Paul Miller)

Jake, buddy, no. You’ve been a first-grade footy player since you were a teenager, so your perspective is understandably warped. But in the real world, you don’t get paid eight months’ salary for quitting.

That Manly would possibly ask Barrett to coach a lower-grade team is not childish, it’s actually a very grown-up thing to do.

Coaches cost money – even the bloke blowing the whistle at teenagers tends to have a full-time, well-remunerated gig. And Manly have got two first-grade mentors on the books. Re-deploying the one who isn’t going to be there next August – and, no offence intended, has little work history and a patchy record – to apply his skills at a different part of the club makes sense if he expects to continue being paid.

From the outside looking in, the Sea Eagles are a shambles at the moment, due in no small part to poor financial management. So that the board aren’t willing to just give someone a few hundred grand should be a rare point of pride for fans.

Some – like Jake and his brother, Kangaroos star Tom Trbojevic – believe Barrett has been hard done by and therefore played the only card he had, which was to quit.

But Barrett’s an NRL coach who gave 12 months’ notice in July. Surely he realised after making such a move, his position was untenable. How could the 2019 first-grade squad be expected to turn up and give their absolute all for a bloke who was going to bail on them two months out from the finals? And who was supposed to take the helm as the team limped to the finish line?

And of course Trent Barrett knows a lame-duck coach means an uncompetitive team – the guy played over 300 games of first grade and rep footy.

Yet he pressed ahead and told the club he was quitting. The minute he pulled that letter out of his pocket, his time at Manly had to end well before his period of notice. But he’s still digging in his heels and turning up to work so as not to be in breach of contract, in what must be a toxic environment for him and anyone he deals with in a professional capacity.

Baz, it’s time to stop the bleeding. And since you made this mess – yes, yes, facilities aren’t good enough, everyone’s mean to you, my porridge is too cold – you should clean it up.

Either go coach the club’s Harold Matthews side – in a comp that ends around the start of June, at which point you’d probably have accrued enough holidays to call it a day – or cash in your leave and head back to the Illawarra.

They’re the two options we people in the real world have. And if you don’t pick one of them, you’ll have such a reputation among NRL clubs that you’ll soon find yourself as one of us.
The article is spot on.
Give that man a Tooheys.
Barrett f*cked up.
I applaud management this time.
The idiot thought he'd be clever, thought he had the riff job and would try and play hard ball.
He just looks like a fool and is doing his 'coaching career' no favours.
Baz, you can't coach at this level, admit it, man up and go.
I really don't want to speak his name anymore but whilst his spectre is lurking around he can continue to cop it.

Trent is a turd. A gen y like attitude where he wants compensation for not fulfilling all his dreams and bugger everyone else.

But! The Penns need to learn the art of the deal. This should just not happen legally. I presume it was to protect a club from a coach walking out mid season but now it’s flipped.

Trent though. What a ****. Complains there are not enough resources and then tries to screw the club like its making loads of dough. Great spirit Trent you sick replicant.

Dear Judge Judy ......
Trent quit and still wants to get paid ?
It is like leaving your girl friend and still want to get laid

View attachment 10105
Plenty of guys will have done that over the years Bozo (girls too I’d imagine)... Barrett appears to be the kind of guy that might sell his house with an expectation he will be able to keep on living in the granny flat By the pool. If only he had shown half as much resilience and determination towards getting our defence in order last season.

Plenty of guys will have done that over the years Bozo... Barrett appears to be the kind of guy that might sell his house with an expectation he will to be able to keep on living in the granny flat By the pool. If only he had shown half as much resilience and determination to getting our defence in order last season.
By the way Kevin . When Trent finally moves out of the granny flat . Which club will hire him and as what ?

Other than the poor record he compiled at Manly, the worst thing Trent Barrett did for his coaching career was that interview with Rothfield. He came across as a whinger and basically blamed everything from a lack of facilities to a lack of backroom support for Manly's failure in his 3 years with us. Everything except his own role as head coach. Apparently not having a recruitment manager and having to bring in his own outdoor furniture, and a desk for the demountables, severely affected his ability to come up with game plans and team structures in attack and defence as well as the poor team and squad selections.

In that interview he basically painted a picture that he couldn't (or wouldn't) work effectively as a coach unless he had the best of everything available to him.

And now, not surprisingly, no other club seems interested in his services.

Basically, he has nowhere to go, no job lined up and that is why he and that parasite Beavis are trying to milk every dollar they can get out of Manly. He's the one who resigned, he quit. For mine he doesn't deserve anything.

Yes I do believe Barrett got screwed over by Gould and the Panthers because he was obviously led to believe that the coaching job was his from 2019 until the Cleary situation came to light. But Barrett has done himself no favours with his own actions.

Last edited:
I'm glad he is gone, just wasn't the right guy for Manly.
I don't know who was worse as a coach Barrett or Sharpe.

A slight bit of me feels sorry for Trent, the club didn't seem to spend money under his watch.
Since Des has been back the Penns seem to have opened their wallets and spending on everything Des wants.
Hopefully, they can see to make money you have to spend money. Memberships are up, sponsors are signing on, this will increase more when Des gets the team winning games and having us in the top 8 pushing for a premiership.

By the way Kevin . When Trent finally moves out of the granny flat . Which club will hire him and as what ?
I think he’ll end up as an assistant somewhere, and I think he will be able to make a solid contribution in that role. The players obviously love the bloke and with less pressure I believe his strengths will come out. I never thought Nathan Brown would get another crack as a head coach in the NRL... so perhaps Jake is correct and at some point in time he will coach first grade again. I agree with @HoldenV8 about his interview with the drunk... that has probably added a couple of years wait onto any “next chance” he might eventually receive.

The guy has done himself absolutely no favours here. If he ever wanted to coach nrl again he has been ill advised on how to handle this situation.
No club would want a guy who resigns with poor excuses all the time and run a risk of having that filter into there club

Should have said this is not working thank you for he opportunity and moved on his merry way.

I would have thought that’s okay to admit your out of your depth atm and be a man and look for self improvement and development to become a good coach as an assistance somewhere else.

No looking more and more like a desperate fool.

The guy has done himself absolutely no favours here. If he ever wanted to coach nrl again he has been ill advised on how to handle this situation.
No club would want a guy who resigns with poor excuses all the time and run a risk of having that filter into there club

Should have said this is not working thank you for he opportunity and moved on his merry way.

I would have thought that’s okay to admit your out of your depth atm and be a man and look for self improvement and development to become a good coach as an assistance somewhere else.

No looking more and more like a desperate fool.

That is what I have hated most about all of this. Barrett has basically blamed everything but his own role as head coach for the failure. We may not like the guy but at least Brad Arthur took responsibility for the Worms getting the wooden spoon. Barrett seemingly would have everyone believe that as great as his coaching is, we brought him down.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2