'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Those few dogs fans defending Baz say he is a master recruiter, but this post nails it:

It's interesting to look at why we got all these new players. There are circumstances which aligned for us:
  • Dufty - BBQ Gate
  • Vaughan - BBQ Gate
  • TPJ - Broncos major salary cap issues
  • Naden - Off field issues
  • Addo-Carr - wanted to move back to Sydney
  • Burton wanted a permanent gig in the halves in first grade

You could even add this years crop
  • Cotric - wanted to play centres & big pay packet
  • Hetherington - wanted regular first grade & a liability at the judiciary
  • Seumanufagai - wanted to come home from UK & play in Sydney

Others like Waddell, Allan & Flanagan have been busts & weren't wanted by their clubs
I’ve said it before, I can’t believe both Addo-Carr and Burton signed so early.
Two of the most in-demand off contract players and their price hasn’t gone down, if it’s about $$ they could’ve waited and got more at any other club.
Interesting that Addo-Carr was keen on fullback but then they sign Dufty.
They haven’t exactly signed players without previous off field
issues either.

I’ve said it before, I can’t believe both Addo-Carr and Burton signed so early.
Two of the most in-demand off contract players and their price hasn’t gone down, if it’s about $$ they could’ve waited and got more at any other club.
Interesting that Addo-Carr was keen on fullback but then they sign Dufty.
They haven’t exactly signed players without previous off field
issues either.
exactly - they are building a club culture there supposedly - Ado Carr, Vaughan, TPJ - maybe a culture of bank robers and criminals and idiots that is about all

What a wonderful review of Tbaz.

It's like a time machine.

"I've seen zero sign on any of the game days that he can Coach. No set plays. no structure, no idea. Defence has gone backwards since Pay."

"Next year,,,,?? Why? Are the new recruits going to suddenly morph Barrett into a good coach. People’s best traits show themselves in the worst times and conditions. Barrett has got nothing."

Well blow me down. I bet if I could be bothered, I could go back through Silvertails circa 2018 and find MANY posts by multiple people saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Another post from The Kennel re: Barrett.

"He can either be our recruitment officer or he can f*** right off."

That I think would actually suit Barrett. As a recruitment officer / talent scout in the Crusher Cleal mould I think he could excel. He's very good at spotting rugby league talent. What he's not good at is coaching that talent, bringing the collective talent together as a team.

Does anyone else get the feeling that one of the main reasons the Dogs decided to mend long burnt bridges and reach out to Phil Gould was to give Barrett a coaching mentor with a load of experience like he had here at Manly with Bozo, before their falling out??

It wouldn't be the first time that Gus has played that type of role. He did the same thing at the Chooks when they signed Ricky Stuart to coach them 20 years ago. And to this day there are many who believe that Stuart in the first 2-3 years of his coaching career was something akin to being the coach in name only with Gould being the real "brains" behind the scenes.

Does anyone else get the feeling that one of the main reasons the Dogs decided to mend long burnt bridges and reach out to Phil Gould was to give Barrett a coaching mentor with a load of experience like he had here at Manly with Bozo, before their falling out??

It wouldn't be the first time that Gus has played that type of role. He did the same thing at the Chooks when they signed Ricky Stuart to coach them 20 years ago. And to this day there are many who believe that Stuart in the first 2-3 years of his coaching career was something akin to being the coach in name only with Gould being the real "brains" behind the scenes.
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Do you know what the scary thing about Zoolander is?

2017 ..... its kinda the forgotten or largely ignored elephant in the room when it comes to his coaching career.

In a side that had the likes of Matthew Wright (15 games), Frank Winterstein (25 games) and Lewis Brown (22 games), as well as younger versions of Turbo (his first full year at fullback), DCE, Walks, Marty, Jake, Siro, Brian Kelly, Uate, BJ, Green and even Nate Myles ... we were literally top 4 until late in the season (Rd.19 we were actually 3rd). We fell away at the end to go into the Finals in 6th, and lost the Qualifying Final to Penrith in week 1 of the Finals so we finished 8th overall. And that was our first year without Snake, Killer or Skivvy in over a decade.

Its scary to think that he has a Finals finish in him with the right team. We all want to remember him as a crap coach, but we went damn close to finishing top 4 in just his second year with us. Which wasn't bad given we'd finished 13th in 2016

Last edited:
Interesting fact. The only players left over from that 2017 squad today are DCE, Parker, Siro, Jorge, Marty, Jake, Tom and Walks. And of those, Jorge is the only one not playing first grade.

Do you know what the scary thing about Zoolander is?

2017 ..... its kinda the forgotten or largely ignored elephant in the room when it comes to his coaching career.

In a side that had the likes of Matthew Wright (15 games), Frank Winterstein (25 games) and Lewis Brown (22 games), as well as younger versions of Turbo (his first full year at fullback), DCE, Walks, Marty, Jake, Siro, Brian Kelly, Uate, BJ, Green and even Nate Myles ... we were literally top 4 until late in the season (Rd.19 we were actually 3rd). We fell away at the end to go into the Finals in 6th, and lost the Qualifying Final to Penrith in week 1 of the Finals so we finished 8th overall. And that was our first year without Snake, Killer or Skivvy in over a decade.

Its scary to think that he has a Finals finish in him with the right team. We all want to remember him as a crap coach, but we went damn close to finishing top 4 in just his second year with us. Which wasn't bad given we'd finished 13th in 2016
And I think at the tail end of 2017/start of 2018 is when Barrett started to believe his own hype and thought he didn’t need Bozo anymore….

With a bit of Barrett magic the dogs might be able to go back to back in 2022.
Addo-Carr is in for a coaching hangover too. From Bellamy to Barrett. It will be a lonnnng year for him.

The dogs will improve next season with the team they have brought but won't be challenging to be in the grand final.
Next year it will be a happy camp with the wheels falling off in 2023 with Gus and Trent trying to go in different directions with Trent getting punted.

I don't rate Trent as a head coach, he is probably a great assistant coach but the step up is beyond his ability.
He is better off being an assistant and in charge of recruitment.

A lot rests on Burton both creating and controlling.
Not much else in the 7 or 9 so I think they will improve a bit but unless they get a good half and nine, not too much.

I was actually thinking about Barrett on Monday Night...his Bulldogs got lapped by the lowly Titans and then 5 minutes later, out come the Eagles with Tommy T and a host of youthful and enthusiastic up and comers and I was wondering what was going through his mind...”I ****ed up” “that could be my roster instead I took my bat and ball (and garden furniture) home and waited for a better opportunity at a basket case club” “ **** I’m a weak and stupid individual”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6