'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bored ... so another reality check ...

In the past 3 weeks .... There have been several stories crediting Penrith's success this year to several factors .... 1) Baz has got a wrap for his work as the attacking coach and 2) Ciraldo has received equal praise for their defence ....

Now Cleary is the Coach ... but he doesn't appear to have a problem with, or contest those facts ... instead takes credit for putting a good support team in place ... critical in today's game ...

Now, when the numbnuts take time off from rubbing salve on their sore butts, and stop eating the crayons .... they will remember the real reason that Baz quit had nothing to do with chairs ... but the fact that Penn refused to employ the support staff that had been promised ... refused to fund the club up to professional standards ....
Ummm Des took over in 2019 & had the same support staff as Barrett with Cartwright & Randall....yet had the team
playing pretty well!!! Yes he added a few legends but doesn’t mean Barrett couldn’t have done the same. If he was a good coach he’d have done better with what he had & not blame the whole world for his deficiencies. Des doesn't have any better facilities now yet has the team performing. Please stop making excuses for the guy.....he’s not in the same class of coach as Des.

Ummm Des took over in 2019 & had the same support staff as Barrett with Cartwright & Randall....yet had the team
playing pretty well!!! Yes he added a few legends but doesn’t mean Barrett couldn’t have done the same. If he was a good coach he’d have done better with what he had & not blame the whole world for his deficiencies. Des doesn't have any better facilities now yet has the team performing. Please stop making excuses for the guy.....he’s not in the same class of coach as Des.

Max ... Because he is smart and knows the value of a top support team ...Dessie added Donny Singe, Noel Cleal, Monnas, Matt Ballin, a sprint coach and a sports psychologist before the ink was dry on his contract in 2019.... and no Barrett couldn't do the same, he wasn't allowed to ... that was why he tendered his resignation ...

As far as ... if Barrett was a good coach he'd have done better .... in 2017 he got a much less experienced squad to 6th .... which at this stage Dessie has only equaled with a more seasoned squad ...

Max ... Because he is smart and knows the value of a top support team ...Dessie added Donny Singe, Noel Cleal, Monnas, Matt Ballin, a sprint coach and a sports psychologist before the ink was dry on his contract in 2019.... and no Barrett couldn't do the same, he wasn't allowed to ... that was why he tendered his resignation ...

As far as ... if Barrett was a good coach he'd have done better .... in 2017 he got a much less experienced squad to 6th .... which at this stage Dessie has only equaled with a more seasoned squad ...
...yeah but APART from those guys there is NO difference... and the squad were a lot OLDER when Des did it... Des doesnt need excuses as shown by the fact he never missed the finals with the dogs because hes a WINNER who gets the most out of his squad... unlike Twent who only made the finals once (lucky) in 3 whole years as a 1st grade coach...
Admit it @Woodsie, Twent had every chance and could NEVER rival the genius of Des...

I would point out that we had a pretty good run with injuries that year, but only scraped into the finals in the last round.

Tom played 23 games in 2017 as opposed to 12 last year (and 6 so far this year). Likewise DCE missed 4 more games last year with a busted ankle.

As evidenced in 2016 and 2018, when the going got tough, we finished 13th and 15th (narrowly avoiding the spoon), with mostly the same squad in all 3 years.

It is a bit disingenuous to point at one year where we literally scraped into the finals in the final round, and ignore the other two years where we capitulated.

But good luck to him at the Bulldogs.

I was not happy when Barrett was appointed at Manly as he was a rookie coach and we were in a mess. I would have given the gig to Cartwright in preference to Barrett and had Barrett as assistant. I was even unhappier as time went on. I don't know him personally and I expect he is a good man. However I am glad he is gone from Manly. The future at Canterbury is in his hands and good luck to him provided they don't beat us. The rest is history.

It is a bit disingenuous to point at one year where we literally scraped into the finals in the final round, and ignore the other two years where we capitulated.
Could not agree more @Scorpio... but that works both ways as is just as disingenuous to downplay a 6th place finish one year (and the impact of external factors in the other years) because it doesnt fit the narrative that you wish to create...

Personally I could care less I'f Twent succeeds at dogs, I just dont blame him SOLELY for the absolute sh*tcloud that has hung over our club since 2014...
personally I think his performance was PARTIALLY a product of our culture at that time - not vice versa... jmo...

Woodsie........the amount of $hit Des had to endure during his tenure as coach with change of owners, player issues (Brett Stewart drama), boardroom bickering, financial dramas, salary cap penalties, recruitment etc. made him the coach he is today. He persevered & was good enough to get thru it & bring success to Manly. He never gave up when the going got tough......Barrett did! What Des went thru makes a mockery of Barrett’s excuse! Let’s see how he goes at the Bulldogs....he’ll have his work cut out with similar to what he experienced at Manly although he will have financial backup. I wish him luck but he’ll never be the coach Des is!

Woodsie........the amount of $hit Des had to endure during his tenure as coach with change of owners, player issues (Brett Stewart drama), boardroom bickering, financial dramas, salary cap penalties, recruitment etc. made him the coach he is today. He persevered & was good enough to get thru it & bring success to Manly. He never gave up when the going got tough......Barrett did! What Des went thru makes a mockery of Barrett’s excuse! Let’s see how he goes at the Bulldogs....he’ll have his work cut out with similar to what he experienced at Manly although he will have financial backup. I wish him luck but he’ll never be the coach Des is!
Des did have a fair squad at the time... just saying...
You may have a rose-colored recollection because I'm not sure what salary cap penalties Des ever dealt with but Twent sure did and his recruitment was definitely impacted (again Des never had a recruitment issue as he was more focused on retention)...
And fwiw Max sold at the end of 2010 and Des bailed as soon as his contract was up (similar to Twent)...

...yeah but APART from those guys there is NO difference... and the squad were a lot OLDER when Des did it... Des doesnt need excuses as shown by the fact he never missed the finals with the dogs because hes a WINNER who gets the most out of his squad... unlike Twent who only made the finals once (lucky) in 3 whole years as a 1st grade coach...
Admit it @Woodsie, Twent had every chance and could NEVER rival the genius of Des...

The funny thing is .. I am certain most people don't take the time to actually read my comments .. (can't blame them) ... because for me it's not about Dessie V's Bazza .... that's a no contest ... I'm rapt to have Dessie ....

and it's not about whether Baz is a good coach or not .... I can't recall saying in any post that he was ..... it's just about the bull**** that is constantly made up about Barrett .... some people just type bitter nonsense every time his name is mentioned just to make their own hemorrhoids feel better ....

Des did have a fair squad at the time... just saying...
You may have a rose-colored recollection because I'm not sure what salary cap penalties Des ever dealt with but Twent sure did and his recruitment was definitely impacted (again Des never had a recruitment issue as he was more focused on retention)...
And fwiw Max sold at the end of 2010 and Des bailed as soon as his contract was up (similar to Twent)...
Des took over not long after the Superleague fiasco! He brought in no name players & built a squad from scratch. There was constant boardroom drama & yes there were salary cap issues throughout his tenure as well as when Tooves took over, albeit not the same as when Barrett was there. Des bailed end of 2011 thanks to the illegal dealings of one mister Greenberg. I’m not sure how anyone can say Barrett is a good coach when he’s achieved zero to date! Like I said let’s see how he brings the Bulldogs thru over the next few years before we compare him to Des. No rose coloured glasses here mate....just reading history & pointing out facts.

Des and the Dogs missed out on the finals in 2017.

The funny thing is .. I am certain most people don't take the time to actually read my comments .. (can't blame them) ... because for me it's not about Dessie V's Bazza .... that's a no contest ... I'm rapt to have Dessie ....

and it's not about whether Baz is a good coach or not .... I can't recall saying in any post that he was ..... it's just about the bull**** that is constantly made up about Barrett .... some people just type bitter nonsense every time his name is mentioned just to make their own hemorrhoids feel better ....
Woodsie.....I understand your points about Barrett. Not disagreeing with you just saying he bailed when the going got tough. Personally I feel he could have stuck at it as other coaches have during tough times.

Max ... again it is not Des V Baz ..... but I am certain that I could make a compelling case that Baz had an equally hard test by fire .... 3 years of Salary cap reductions .... a year of a mill in cap in Snake and Matai out injured .... 2 years of Injury mayhem ... Tom & Walker out for extended periods losing Green during preseason and then losing Pearce at the last minute to salary cap GreenTurd ... and Penn going back on his promise to provide support staff ... etc etc

I could also provide a counter narrative for Trent resigning .... I would have thought that a young coach who had the courage and principle to stand up to Penn and say if you are not going to provide this team and the club with the resources they need to compete in the modern game I will resign ... Dessie made damn sure he was going to get what he needed ... and good on him ...

and he hasn't quit ... he just quit the Penn's ... within weeks of being a ree agent he was snapped up by Penrith ... the club many on here say he shafted and was unsuccessful at ... and a year later beat a fairly strong field to get another 1st grade gig .... that to me is persevering ...

But again ... which narrative people chose appears to be linked to how sore their bums are ...

Lots of pubs to take the players for free beers after games and training Barrett will be in his element
Yeah Baz loves to take his shirt off and do pushups on the counter, in the team he also has Adam Elliott who LOVES to take off ALL of his clothes in pubs as well, they'd make a make quite a pair.

Trent Barrett is an Illawarra Goon who walked out on his troops by giving 12 months notice so that it would come into effect mid year the following season.

Trent Barrett aired Manly’s private business to a rival club while he was still our head coach. Something which no other leader in our history had done before.

Trent Barrett hijacked Manly’s success last year through the media by claiming credit for the squad. He did this for his own advantage. Can you imagine if Des had done this when Tooves made the GF in 2013.

Trent Barrett slagged the entire Sea Eagles organisation via his press cronies... putting crap on our “sub par” facilities. Creating a media sh1tstorm where everyone got to ridicule our demountable set up for weeks on end. Our sponsors must have been so delighted.

Trent Barrett’s greatest achievement as a coach to date is that the players love him. He’s won nothing. Zip, zero, zilch.

Trent Barrett came within a hairs breadth of delivering our very first wooden spoon.

Trent Barrett is now a Bulldog.

Trent Barrett is an Illawarra Goon who walked out on his troops by giving 12 months notice so that it would come into effect mid year the following season.

Trent Barrett aired Manly’s private business to a rival club while he was still our head coach. Something which no other leader in our history had done before.

Trent Barrett hijacked Manly’s success last year through the media by claiming credit for the squad. He did this for his own advantage. Can you imagine if Des had done this when Tooves made the GF in 2013.

Trent Barrett slagged the entire Sea Eagles organisation via his press cronies... putting crap on our “sub par” facilities. Creating a media sh1tstorm where everyone got to ridicule our demountable set up for weeks on end. Our sponsors must have been so delighted.

Trent Barrett’s greatest achievement as a coach to date is that the players love him. He’s won nothing. Zip, zero, zilch.

Trent Barrett came within a hairs breadth of delivering our very first wooden spoon.

well said, can we make this the last word on the matter?

Des took over not long after the Superleague fiasco! He brought in no name players & built a squad from scratch. There was constant boardroom drama & yes there were salary cap issues throughout his tenure as well as when Tooves took over, albeit not the same as when Barrett was there. Des bailed end of 2011 thanks to the illegal dealings of one mister Greenberg. I’m not sure how anyone can say Barrett is a good coach when he’s achieved zero to date! Like I said let’s see how he brings the Bulldogs thru over the next few years before we compare him to Des. No rose coloured glasses here mate....just reading history & pointing out facts.
I'm certainly not saying Barrett is better than Des... he's not...

Just pointing out that the whole "Barrett was given every opportunity and is solely responsible for almost getting us a wooden spoon" revisionist view of 2016-19 is absolute crap... Manly had a LOT more problems thru that period (and basically since just before Gifty left)...

Des is awesome (even tho he tore my heart out of my chest at one point) AND Barrett is not the devil (even tho he played for St George)

Wow... did Trent Barrett kidnap Maddie McCann and William Tyrell as well?

And you think others are obsessed with TB...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4