'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
see how he group hugged the players with relief after the win. Could you imagine any other 1st grade coach doing that after a first win of the season after a poor start: Des, bennett, bellamy, Griffiths, Cleary, Madge, Ricky etc...

I feel he is too invested in his desire for mateship with the players for a head coach. Sure, pat them on the back, give them a stirring speech after the game, compliment them in the after match press conference that they deserved the win with the effort they have been putting in at training, but one person in the club needs to have their head screwed on and not let emotion get in the way, and that is the coach.

One win does not make a season and any fair head coach would have let the players have their little celebration before re-focusing the group on where they are at and how they intend to move forward.

This type of coaching will lead to more losses than wins. Like at manly, he will make excuses for losses, celebrate too closely during the wins and it removes pressure on players to perform.

I only watched the highlights but I'd be investigating a couple of Sharks players for match fixing if I were the NRL. I won't name names but there were some suspiciously lacklustre efforts on display there.

An emotional Trent Barrett labelled Canterbury’s first win under his coaching as arguably the best of his career after the Bulldogs created history by becoming the first club to use the NRL’s new 18th man rule in Saturday night’s18-12 defeat of Cronulla.

Barrett was in tears at full-time as he embraced Canterbury players on the sideline and he praised their courage and resolve to repeatedly repel the Sharks despite losing forwards Chris Smith and Matt Doorey in the first half and hooker Brad Deitz late in the match.

“That’s the best win I have been involved in in my coaching career, and even as a player,” Barrett said. “It meant a hell of a lot to all of us.

“That’s the best win I have been involved in in my coaching career, and even as a player,” Barrett said. “It meant a hell of a lot to all of us.
I guess what he must have meant was ... (?) ... that his players are the least talented bunch of bums he has ever been involved with, so for them to actually win a game was an achievement for the ages (and obviously a coaching masterpiece) :)

He did get ahead himself didn’t he. It was hardly an outstanding performance against quality opposition...Sharks were terribly flat in the first half and Dogs got the jump to 18 nil and then the Sharks were the better side in the second half but kept bombing tries. A rather lucky 6 point win against cannon fodder and Barrett is claiming that they can ‘build their season’ off it...

He did get ahead himself didn’t he. It was hardly an outstanding performance against quality opposition...Sharks were terribly flat in the first half and Dogs got the jump to 18 nil and then the Sharks were the better side in the second half but kept bombing tries. A rather lucky 6 point win against cannon fodder and Barrett is claiming that they can ‘build their season’ off it...
I am interested to know what you would expect him to say?
He was hardly talking about semi-final football...

As for 'lucky' well you make a lot of your own luck when you put 3 tries on and then defend the way they did... not bad for a team everyone mocked for not being able to score points...

I could care less about the dogs (I actually think its sad that we have threads on Dogs, Parra etc) but i enjoy seeing effort and imo there is a time to either say 'fair play' or say nothing at all...

Perspective time ....

It was a game played by two maladroit coached teams
The sharks struggled to hold the ball and execute play all day
and the Dogs struggled to put them to the sword and just managed to escape victory and
In the end the game was not won by resilience or great tactical play
The game was lost by the sharks who bombed try after try

And the quote from Trent's Best win ever in his coaching career exemplifies Trents mediocre standards, values and accomplishments

I am interested to know what you would expect him to say?
He was hardly talking about semi-final football...

As for 'lucky' well you make a lot of your own luck when you put 3 tries on and then defend the way they did... not bad for a team everyone mocked for not being able to score points...

I could care less about the dogs (I actually think its sad that we have threads on Dogs, Parra etc) but i enjoy seeing effort and imo there is a time to either say 'fair play' or say nothing at all...
I expect him to keep a lid on the excitement because they’re running dead last and just snuck home against poor opposition...’best win he has been involved in’ and ‘it’s easy to kick a team when they’re down’ and ‘we have backbone’ and the like...cmon, they dropped enough ball to lose 10 football games. They scored some soft tries and almost got run down by a team that looked disinterested. Anyone would have thought they’d towelled up the competition leaders with a stirring performance...it was just one of those cases of sooner or later they’d have to win a game and they did...hardly season building.

I expect him to keep a lid on the excitement because they’re running dead last and just snuck home against poor opposition...’best win he has been involved in’ and ‘it’s easy to kick a team when they’re down’ and ‘we have backbone’ and the like...cmon, they dropped enough ball to lose 10 football games. They scored some soft tries and almost got run down by a team that looked disinterested. Anyone would have thought they’d towelled up the competition leaders with a stirring performance...it was just one of those cases of sooner or later they’d have to win a game and they did...hardly season building.
He was acknowledging the hard work of his players and whilst I agree that the 'best win' comment is OTT it is just a reflection of the pressure that that group is under...

As for the tries, there was nothing 'soft' about Hoppas effort nor Meany's which was quality ball-playing and a good line run by the decoy... all their tries were the result of building pressure (8 of 10 completions)...

2nd half it got scrappy but I thought their scrambling was outstanding and TB called it a 'good win against quality opposition' which was about the height of his exuberance imo...

For the record it IS easy to kick a side while its down and I personally will lay the boot in when we beat them twice this year - b4 then this whole lol at other sides crap is worth nothing imo...

He was acknowledging the hard work of his players and whilst I agree that the 'best win' comment is OTT it is just a reflection of the pressure that that group is under...

As for the tries, there was nothing 'soft' about Hoppas effort nor Meany's which was quality ball-playing and a good line run by the decoy... all their tries were the result of building pressure (8 of 10 completions)...

2nd half it got scrappy but I thought their scrambling was outstanding and TB called it a 'good win against quality opposition' which was about the height of his exuberance imo...

For the record it IS easy to kick a side while its down and I personally will lay the boot in when we beat them twice this year - b4 then this whole lol at other sides crap is worth nothing imo...
Hoppa wouldn’t have scored that try against any other team. It was a slow shift to the right and Cronulla had numbers around the ball but as I said, they were flat and it was a soft try. The try off the bomb was a toss of the coin. If Dugan catches it, Cronulla survive. He should have caught that ball. It was an unforced error that lead to a try.
I’ll pay the Meaney try as a decent little set play but again, a lack of line speed and intent from the Sharks on their line.
You’re entitled to your opinion but I didn’t see anything from the Dogs to suggest they’ll trouble too many oppositions.
dogs completion rate was poor again.
The height of Barrett’s exuberance was man hugs and tears on the sideline! Then he labelled it season building and said it was the best win he’d ever been involved in as both a coach and a player...ridiculous to think that narrow win against a team with a caretaker coach in front of a couple of thousand fans on a Saturday evening in rd7 would be a career defining moment for him...very odd.

Hoppa wouldn’t have scored that try against any other team. It was a slow shift to the right and Cronulla had numbers around the ball but as I said, they were flat and it was a soft try. The try off the bomb was a toss of the coin. If Dugan catches it, Cronulla survive. He should have caught that ball. It was an unforced error that lead to a try.
I’ll pay the Meaney try as a decent little set play but again, a lack of line speed and intent from the Sharks on their line.
You’re entitled to your opinion but I didn’t see anything from the Dogs to suggest they’ll trouble too many oppositions.
The height of Barrett’s exuberance was man hugs and tears on the sideline! Then he labelled it season building and said it was the best win he’d ever been involved in as both a coach and a player...ridiculous to think that narrow win against a team with a caretaker coach in front of a couple of thousand fans on a Saturday evening in rd7 would be a career defining moment for him...very odd.
The way Hoppa Shrugged off Dugan after coming to a complete halt directly in front of him was one of the worst defensive efforts I've seen all year.

Agree they won't win many but after 6 losses to start the year i totally get the relief and I would think it weird if there wasn't some excitement...

Best ever win is definitely OTT...

90% of tries can be blamed on errors by the opposition defence but I though the dogs got reward for effort and then scrambled hard and showed real desire to compete on everything...

Either way if we lose to dogs all this p*ssing on their parade will mean SFA...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4