Bargain (Scottenpreis) basement players.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kevinward777

First Grader
The salary cap is going to come into play over the next few years with the contracts of DCE, the Turbos, Marty and AFB. We have some very good young players coming through, and if they kick on, there’s no way we will be able to keep them all.

So, with that in mind, who are some Scotsman priced players who you think might go well under Des and the coaching staff?

We seem to go very well picking these sort of players up at the moment - Waddell, Sipley, Garrick etc. at the least, we can make good use of them for a couple of years before their value rises above what we can afford. For mine, we just need a good backup hooker...with relatively cheap centres in Parker and Suli we are saving a bundle...Garrick would be lower dollars too, as is most of our bench. Compare that to the Sharks who play Woods off the bench, and we have some years with cut-price legends ahead of us.

Those 3 million dollar players are also the ones attracting the most in Sponsor/TPA dollars :wait:
I agree, I’m thinking more along the lines of Schuster, Hopoate, Suli, Guaca, Fainu, Keppie, Musgrove, Burbo Etc... they are elite juniors and it is highly doubtful we will be able to keep them all.

It’s not really relevant now, but it’s the off season and the same thing happened to us in the past with Hopoate, JWH, and the like.

I agree, I’m thinking more along the lines of Schuster, Hopoate, Suli, Guaca, Fainu, Keppie, Musgrove, Burbo Etc... they are elite juniors and it is highly doubtful we will be able to keep them all.

It’s not really relevant now, but it’s the off season and the same thing happened to us in the past with Hopoate, JWH, and the like.
So long as Des stays the assembly line will keep churning out Manly stars :nod:

Yeah my concern is keeping our talent. I say with young hop, ben turbo and Schuster among best juniors we had for some time.
Afb next contract will be an upgrade. I suggest long term siro and walker won't be here. How we keep them all who knows. We need cheaper options I suggest turning keppie into starter and Marty being let go come 2021 may be wise.

I dare say Thommo would be let go, probably Taupau and possibly siro after these current contracts. We just have to keep finding the next sipley garrick, waddell, fainu etc. Bring in some experienced guys looking for an opportunity... Gulavao, T rex etc.
Keeping a competitive squad will be relatively easy, as we have seen players will stay for less and we are now able to attract new players for less money also. Look at how we did it before in our decade of dominance, look how storm have done it. You just have to be smart and think outside the box. Des will have all the boys playing and training with heart and commitment and the talent will do the rest

Yeah my concern is keeping our talent. I say with young hop, ben turbo and Schuster among best juniors we had for some time.
Afb next contract will be an upgrade. I suggest long term siro and walker won't be here. How we keep them all who knows. We need cheaper options I suggest turning keppie into starter and Marty being let go come 2021 may be wise.
Disagree......whilst we’re at it let’s get rid of all our forwards & then all moan why we can’t win a premiership @:rolleyes:

I dare say Thommo would be let go, probably Taupau and possibly siro after these current contracts. We just have to keep finding the next sipley garrick, waddell, fainu etc. Bring in some experienced guys looking for an opportunity... Gulavao, T rex etc.
Keeping a competitive squad will be relatively easy, as we have seen players will stay for less and we are now able to attract new players for less money also. Look at how we did it before in our decade of dominance, look how storm have done it. You just have to be smart and think outside the box. Des will have all the boys playing and training with heart and commitment and the talent will do the rest

Yes I think you are right, with those coming through Id suggest that’s the three that will move on.

The theory which is Most beneficial in the "short term", is these youngsters are locked up on low contract for 2-3 years, for far less than an average NRL player, yet they "potentially" have a far higher ceiling....
If 2 of these youngsters become big success stories in the next year or 2 we have had a good win, but the following contract upgrades are where the heat will be on.
The media keep belting up on the Big 3 in Turbo's and DCE, but personally feel by the end of 2020, there could well be another 2 stars that are well known names...then throw in AFB, Kapow and the other youngsters fighting for a spot in the 17 and this is 1 heck of a talented footy side that resembles a challenge to all in coming seasons....

Yeah it's a juggling act. You move too much experience on will end up like Penrith. Afb is in top 3 props in game we want him here whole career.

Just enjoy the present and the upcoming season in 2020. Every player's career comes to an end and new talent is required. I don't see the sense in rubbishing who we have and talking about off loading them. I like the squad at present, all be it we are short an experienced hooker. All of our group are IMO good 1st grade players and we have serious core quality in - Turbo, Jake, DCE, AFB, Marty, Thommo, Sirro & Walker. We just need some luck with injuries and hope that some our young development players mature into quality first grade stars over the next season or so.. Gee I'm glad we got the band back together (Des, Crusher & Singe)!

An expectation of creating a quality roster with an even spread of the contracts is unrealistic. I am not at all concerned that we have 3 players earning a million each. This model has proven to be successful.

The bizarre thing is how the media pretend Manly have their 3 eggs in the 1 basket, when in reality.....look at the top 3-5 players at EVERY NRL club, who take up a substantial amount of their relative Salary Cap.
In actual fact, Manly have a host of youngsters and off cast players on close to minimal wages, while most clubs don't do as well in this area....the media tend to turn a blind eye to these factors.
But in all honesty, it's about what sells papers and blown out fiction, sells better than reality.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4