Back to the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
Hope this happens...

NRL 2021: NRL push to bring back all three grades on game days​

In a throwback to rugby league’s halcyon days of the 1980s and 1990s, the NRL is exploring the return of “all three grades” on some match days this season.

David RiccoChief Sports Writer

Peter V’landys has a new mission for 2021 — to bring back all three grades.
The ARLC chairman and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo’s mandate to give the game back to the fans is set to continue with the return of reserve grade and under-21s games before NRL matches.

In a throwback to rugby league’s halcyon days of the 1980s and 1990s, when fans could follow the development of a rookie from the lower grades into a star of first grade, the NRL brains trust has been in talks with all 16 clubs about the return of “all three grades” this season.
The NRL is “down the track” with corresponding state leagues from the NSWRL and QRL on relaunching the model that will provide footy fans with the opportunity to watch three games inside the same stadium.

The NRL is acutely aware of the financial impact the model may have on some clubs, but believes that returning the lower grades to game day is viable.

Saturday and Sunday match days have been identified as the most likely starting point for the return of the reserve grade and under-21s matches, when possible.

“The concept of having fans being able to see up-and-coming and younger talent in the feeder competitions, or even a superstar making their comeback from injury, we believe that is a great project for us to work on,’’ Abdo said.

I don't care much for 21s as all the best 21 year olds would already be playing NRL or reserve grade plus financially not really viable... But I'm 100% behind bringing back a proper reserve grade, Vlandys is the best thing to happen to footy in years

Not everybody is physically or mentally mature enough at 21 Robbo ... many players in the days of yore benefitted from the u/23's comp ... but I take your point ..

This is great news ..

The prior games were taken away so that the grounds could be kept in the best condition for first grade

Play two earlier games and the chances are the ground will be a mess by the third game

Won't happen

Some of the feeder clubs may still prefer to have their own home games so to speak both for financial and local support considerations . Maybe it would bring more people through the gates and that would be a good thing but again we are not talking about one N R L club having all three grades operating with in their own organization . 20 's is now Flegg isn 't it and this should not be a problem for quite a few clubs and was quite standard at previous times in most instances . Recall a few seasons ago where Manly played the Warriors in all 3 grades in Auckland which was good to watch but just coincided with the general draw at the time . No harm in proposing and no harm in trying but could have its limitations

Always enjoyed watching the youngsters. Will inspire me to turn up more. Driving 2.5 hours both ways to watch one game wasn't great value for the effort. But 3 games you beauty!

Also gives me a chance to swim home after a few extra beverages....... guess I'll bring my wife as well .... designated driver

Nice idea in theory but would cost a fortune to fly 3 sides around for all the interstate / overseas sides. Worked fine when it was just a Sydney based comp. I think this was one of the reasons the 20's comp went bye bye, not financially viable.

This is great news for many reasons, not the least being that it encourages me to get to Brookie early, where I get a prime parking spot and can chose of where I sit from an empty Hill. I then get to watch a full day of footy, including keeping an eye out for emerging talent. It makes the price of membership even better value, and at the end of the day I have my car waiting parked just footsteps from the exit to Brookie.
The only downside, for me, is the one-hour wait between the reserve grade finishing and the start of First Grade. I dislike watching the teams warm-up -- particularly the prancing refs -- and much prefer the old days when the first time you saw the teams was when they entered the field to play.
Why can't First Grade teams warm up away from the main arena, and while the reserve grade is coming to a conclusion?

If you aren't at least playing reserve grade at 21 then you are way behind the pack.

Maybe for backs .. but not always for forwards .. and only two 2nd rowers, 1 halfback, 1 5/8th, 1 hooker etc .. get a run each week in reggies, .. going to be throwing a lot of good footballers away if they are going to be thrown away as 20 year olds ..

Nice idea in theory but would cost a fortune to fly 3 sides around for all the interstate / overseas sides. Worked fine when it was just a Sydney based comp. I think this was one of the reasons the 20's comp went bye bye, not financially viable.

it won't be every team every week .. PVL has stated Sat and Sun games when feasible ... working on the basis that some is a whole lot better than none ..

Maybe for backs .. but not always for forwards .. and only two 2nd rowers, 1 halfback, 1 5/8th, 1 hooker etc .. get a run each week in reggies, .. going to be throwing a lot of good footballers away if they are going to be thrown away as 20 year olds ..
Its no different to now though. The reserve grade comp would just replace NSW and QLD cup which are basically reserve grade comps anyway.

Cement Truck?

David Riccio January 31, 2021 - 6:00AM

Peter V’landys has vowed to achieve his next mission of bringing back “all three grades” after receiving vital ARLC Commission approval.
And in a warning to any nervous clubs or factions who could veto the return of reserve grade and under-21 matches before NRL games in 2021, V’landys has warned: “Anyone that gets in the way will get run over.
“The fans aren’t going to be robbed by anyone and anyone who tries to rob the fans isn’t acting in the best interests of the game.
“I will do whatever it takes. It’s going to happen.
“After seeing the reaction, we‘ll go harder than we ever have before.
“It’s going to happen.”
The “reaction” V’landys is referring to includes personal phone calls from leading coaches and players and a Telegraph online readers poll which resulted in 96 per cent of the 2,179 votes in favour of a return of lower grade game’s before first grade.

The NRL want to relaunch “all three grades” on Saturday and Sunday’s from round one of the upcoming season.

In his conversations so far, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo has failed to receive “resistance” from either the Queensland and NSW Rugby League.

“In all the time I’ve been in rugby league, this has received the greatest reaction from fans,’’ V’landys said.

“And you have to do what your customer wants.

“If you don’t have customers, you don’t have anything.

“If people don’t watch the broadcast, you don’t get the broadcast revenue. Then the players don’t get paid.

“It’s a cyclic process and you have to look after the person that pays the wages.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4