Att Qlders: Bribie Island

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Hey ST

Hoping to get some local knowledge on Bribie Island as thinking about buying/moving up there.
  • what is local area like re culture, community, facilities
  • Things to do
  • Transport
  • Schools ok or not
  • Job opportunities for young and old alike
  • Crime rates
  • Anything else I should know before packing up a family

• PS also thoughts on Banskia Beach area

Yeah...

Don't move to Queensland!

(lol) Now I'm curious to what was the question left blank near one of your bullet points!

And who is going to rep us at meetings? :(

Mate, it's the off season...if no one really answers I'm sure most mods and members wouldn't mind if you post this in the general footy forum...can always shift it over here once there's some responses...!

I am a Redcliffe boy at heart - grew up at Redcliffe and played for Redcliffe so Bribie and Banksia Beach are not far away at all. Lovely place. I think the crime rate is fine - Caboolture not so much but that is 20 mins away. I also played A Grade for Bribie back in the day - local team used to have Cronulla colours and was called the Warrigals. Attached is my framed Bribie 1984 Grand Final jersey. Lots of things to do there - especially around the beach life - schools would be fine. Job opportunities not so sure with COVID but Redcliffe and north Brisbane including Brendale which is now a real commercial/industrial hub are only just down the road - 30 mins or so away. Transport is really only by bus to Caboolture and then the train.

Attachments

• 20191018_184510.jpg
    20191018_184510.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 15
I am a Redcliffe boy at heart - grew up at Redcliffe and played for Redcliffe so Bribie and Banksia Beach are not far away at all. Lovely place. I think the crime rate is fine - Caboolture not so much but that is 20 mins away. I also played A Grade for Bribie back in the day - local team used to have Cronulla colours and was called the Warrigals. Attached is my framed Bribie 1984 Grand Final jersey. Lots of things to do there - especially around the beach life - schools would be fine. Job opportunities not so sure with COVID but Redcliffe and north Brisbane including Brendale which is now a real commercial/industrial hub are only just down the road - 30 mins or so away. Transport is really only by bus to Caboolture and then the train.

Matt Gillett and Jack Reed are old Warrigal boys?

Wow @The Wheel

I don’t frequent this part of the forum much and just read this , so is this still on???

When my wife and I moved up to QLD 16 years ago we lived in the inner city for a 12 years and much of that 12 years we explored various areas to retire in starting way up at Noosa and moving right down the coast to the Goldie ( and that included Bribie).

We would often stay for the weekend , do non tourist stuff sort if what you’d do if you were living in the area.

So these are the comments I’d make ( and it’s just one opinion).

1) a beautiful part of the coast , some nice beaches , great fishing , and that almost perfect QLD weather. Ticks that box perfectly.

BUT

2) it’s almost dead at night , and by dead I mean really dead. A couple of pubs open but otherwise it’s like a ghost town.

3) there’s one road in and the same road out AND if you are travelling at peak hour it’s an absolute **** FIGHT getting in and out.

4) and before you get in and out (if coming from the city ) you have to brave the infamous Bruce Highway which is clogged to the gunnels each morning going in and afternoon coming out and if it’s a long weekend OMG!!

This Bruce Highway issue affects any community north of the city , so the Redcliffe Peninsula ( also a nice spot) is the same.

Going north once you get past the Bribie exit it does get better ( and in that there’s a story ) .

We settled on the Redlands ( Redland Bay to be exact) still affected by traffic if commuting to work but you have so much within the Redlands City area that for us we never need to go to the city ( the only time I’ve been in there in 4 years was for football games and the annual caravan show).

If you’ve decided against the move just ignore this if you’d like more information you know where I am!!

Wow @The Wheel

I don’t frequent this part of the forum much and just read this , so is this still on???

When my wife and I moved up to QLD 16 years ago we lived in the inner city for a 12 years and much of that 12 years we explored various areas to retire in starting way up at Noosa and moving right down the coast to the Goldie ( and that included Bribie).

We would often stay for the weekend , do non tourist stuff sort if what you’d do if you were living in the area.

So these are the comments I’d make ( and it’s just one opinion).

1) a beautiful part of the coast , some nice beaches , great fishing , and that almost perfect QLD weather. Ticks that box perfectly.

BUT

2) it’s almost dead at night , and by dead I mean really dead. A couple of pubs open but otherwise it’s like a ghost town.

3) there’s one road in and the same road out AND if you are travelling at peak hour it’s an absolute **** FIGHT getting in and out.

4) and before you get in and out (if coming from the city ) you have to brave the infamous Bruce Highway which is clogged to the gunnels each morning going in and afternoon coming out and if it’s a long weekend OMG!!

This Bruce Highway issue affects any community north of the city , so the Redcliffe Peninsula ( also a nice spot) is the same.

Going north once you get past the Bribie exit it does get better ( and in that there’s a story ) .

We settled on the Redlands ( Redland Bay to be exact) still affected by traffic if commuting to work but you have so much within the Redlands City area that for us we never need to go to the city ( the only time I’ve been in there in 4 years was for football games and the annual caravan show).

If you’ve decided against the move just ignore this if you’d like more information you know where I am!!
We ended up buying in Jacobs Wells, moving up end of 2021

@The Wheel

And if the new M1 ( won’t be called M1) goes ahead there could be an almost direct route if they build a bridge over the Logan River , both potential state governments are promising this but it could be years away.

Attachments

• 42E04075-3648-4763-BF71-65C2FD1228D9.png
    42E04075-3648-4763-BF71-65C2FD1228D9.png
    488.8 KB · Views: 13
Just realized Redland?
Redland Bay , southern section of the area known as the Redlands Coast.

You’ll love it up here ( weather wise ) the humidity takes getting used to , but you will, and only needing shorts in winter well , that’s just bloody great !!

Redland Bay , southern section of the area known as the Redlands Coast.

You’ll love it up here ( weather wise ) the humidity takes getting used to , but you will, and only needing shorts in winter well , that’s just bloody great !!
Spent 4 years in Darwin in my younger days so I know humidity but wife and kids might struggle for a while

Spent 4 years in Darwin in my younger days so I know humidity but wife and kids might struggle for a while
You can do one of two things

1) live with the aircon on the whole time and never adapt

or

2) have lots of fans , keep the windows open and learn to live with it and you’ll adapt within two summers.

Honestly it’s two bad months , 2 ok months and 8 glorious months.

You can do one of two things

1) live with the aircon on the whole time and never adapt

or

2) have lots of fans , keep the windows open and learn to live with it and you’ll adapt within two summers.

Honestly it’s two bad months , 2 ok months and 8 glorious months.
yep agreed - maybe 3 hot months - and living with aircon and never adapting has been a great plan lol even though I was born in Brisbane and have only ever lived outside Brisvegas for two years when I was playing in Roma for the mighty Wattles Tigers. Two years mind you which was a lifetime for a city boy who loves the aircon.

yep agreed - maybe 3 hot months - and living with aircon and never adapting has been a great plan lol even though I was born in Brisbane and have only ever lived outside Brisvegas for two years when I was playing in Roma for the mighty Wattles Tigers. Two years mind you which was a lifetime for a city boy who loves the aircon.
Out west is different , not so much humidity but hotter and air con is great as you don’t get those nice coastal breezes.

Out west is different , not so much humidity but hotter and air con is great as you don’t get those nice coastal breezes.
Oh yes much drier heat and then below zero in winter which I didn't mind. But when a decent shopping centre was 3 and a half hours away - only two TV stations - ABC and Impaga and one radio station ummmm not my cup of tea lol. Loved the footy out there though - really old school footy where you were able to get square and there were lots of incidents off the ball. This was the mid 90's and Wattles was a super strong club in that comp then. We won one GF and got beaten by Cities in the 95 GF with a young Lockyer playing. Brilliant even then with the ball but a turnstyle in defence - exactly like he was when he got older. A young Stuart Kelly (Parra and Broncos) played for Taroom and he was a much much better footballer than Lockyer but he never got the accolades in the big smoke like Lockyer. Sorry for digressing.

Oh yes much drier heat and then below zero in winter which I didn't mind. But when a decent shopping centre was 3 and a half hours away - only two TV stations - ABC and Impaga and one radio station ummmm not my cup of tea lol. Loved the footy out there though - really old school footy where you were able to get square and there were lots of incidents off the ball. This was the mid 90's and Wattles was a super strong club in that comp then. We won one GF and got beaten by Cities in the 95 GF with a young Lockyer playing. Brilliant even then with the ball but a turnstyle in defence - exactly like he was when he got older. A young Stuart Kelly (Parra and Broncos) played for Taroom and he was a much much better footballer than Lockyer but he never got the accolades in the big smoke like Lockyer. Sorry for digressing.
I’m a bush boy as well , born and raised in Moree NSW.

Still lived in Moree when Jamie Lyon played for the Wee Waa Panthers and instead the Moree Boars in the Group 5 GF.

As an aside the Hooker for Moree in that game was Scott Fulton.

I’m a bush boy as well , born and raised in Moree NSW.

Still lived in Moree when Jamie Lyon played for the Wee Waa Panthers and instead the Moree Boars in the Group 5 GF.

As an aside the Hooker for Moree in that game was Scott Fulton.
Yes Mark you can have the bush to yourself lol lol. The McGrady's were form Moree weren't they?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6