Atrocious weekend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
This weekend has been as bad as I can remember for refs and video refs stuffing up with tries. Every single game has had some clangers so far

Just watching the tigers v raiders, is no way in the world that Dugan try should have been awarded. Even if they rule Marshall stripped it, surely when you are on your hands and knees with a player on you then you can't reach out and score

What I thought also.
I don't give a **** who is the refs boss,they will always be either incompetant or corrupt..

What annoys me KE is the video ref looked for every reason to deny us a try last night. but every reason to award Dugan a try today!

I probably don't buy the conspiracy theory angle. It's inconsistency, made worse by us being one of the clubs who are whipping boys in the media and the mind of Gallop and the referees boss. I don't think Gallop or Harrigan are intellectually sophisticated enough to have a deliberate policy of discrimination, nor the savvy to pull it off.

That Dugan try was a shocker. I walked away after seeing the 1st reply thinking no chance, when I came back he was kicking the goal. I am convinced the NRL are trying to save money and have monkeys in the video box.

Dugans 2nd was off a forward pass from orford

Penrith got awarded a try off a textbook sheppard

After the 1st few weeks I thought the refs were looking ok. But I guess it shows how sad the state of affairs is when you have cecchin considered a senior referee in the game he was controlling, which was another full of awful, awful calls

I'm wonder if Cecchin is some king of affirmative action project, a bit like some of South Adrica's cricket side.

Haha. He did a few games years ago, took 40mins as a substitute ref to change the northern eagles from 30-12 up to 32-30 down. Was deemed that bad that he couldn't get a run with the whistle for years, was just running the line and then this 2 ref garbage bought him into the limelight again

The good from the refs this year is the ruck. They've really fixed that up for the betterment of the game, however there really is no such thing as a good ref and its just a case of keeping your fingers crossed the errors they make won't cost you a win.

Not sure any of this would work but!

Get rid of the video ref - whats the point of having one when they consistently get it wrong. Or - allow on on filed ref to overrule the video ref. This Sorry I didn't make the decision stuff is crap.

Get rid of the second ref - hasn't improved anything by having two.

Judiciary for refs. If they get it wrong they accumulates points & when he has accumulated enough he goes in front of the judiciary & cops a couple of weeks without pay.

Players or captains able to cite the ref for gross errors & game changing incorrect decisions.

:)

Seriously I just watched it on delay. He was offside, knocked on and had a double movement?
The other try was a no try to. What are the refs doing!? I thought it couldn't get worse than last year but this is horrible. Since Sheens worked out they aren't penalising late hits on the kicker anymore they have punished opposition kickers. God I hope they start penalising that again efore a kicker blows out a kneww.

Matabele said:
I'm wonder if Cecchin is some king of affirmative action project, a bit like some of South Adrica's cricket side.
Or maybe he is just a wog c-nt,:argue: as Andrew Johns so eloquently put it some years ago.

They need to bring in the NFL system.

What they have is a captain's call like the cricket. The NFL Ref goes to a screen himself and watches the replay. He then changes his decision or re-affirms the decision.

I think if you call for video Ref you watch the video, replay, fast forward, change angles then make the decision yourself. With 5 refs, who takes responsibility for the **** ups?

Also, if a wrong call is made, what right does a captain have to decide that it was the wrong call and to look at it again?

I think what they should do is the ref makes a call on the field. If the captain disagrees they can have it looked at by the referee on the field. If the ref on the field was not sure, then he can call for it to be looked at by himself.

I think Foxtel needs to do something instead of having a refs call, have a fan vote! Imagine with the push of your red or green button you have the say on if its a try or not. Think of the take up rate for Foxtel if that was the case!!!!

Seriously though, I don't know if a coaches/captains challenge would do anything. Its the same people reviewing it and they aren't going to change their mind. I'm actually amazed some science geek can't invent something along the lines of a GPS system thats placed in the ball and you can track its movements on the field. You could do the same with players and it can tell if they are onside or not. I think thats a more realistic solution then the wishful thinking that is hoping the refs just get better.

The technology for ball and player tracking exists, it's just a matter of finding someone willing to foot the bill to implement it for 8 games a weekend.

That money would be better spent employing referees with brains and fully functioning eyes.

It was obvious in the Lyon no try knock on garbage that Hayne was standing right near lyon and thought it wasn't a knock on otherwise he would have called it straight away. If he had done that Oldfield and the defense would have stopped and there would be no controversy because most people at first look said knock on. The whole problem is the clown in the video box takes 20 looks at these things then decides whether or not the team concerned deserve a try or not based on the situation of the game, the scoreline and whether the highrarky like or dislike the team concerned. Its just a rediculous situation that needs to go its causing more problems than it solves. You can see the video ref looking for ways to allow a try to the "Golden Teams" and then looking for ways to disallow trys to the unpopular ones. The Sharks are ones that cop it all the time we are another.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2