ARLC urged to help expansion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
The ARL Commission (ARLC) has been urged to identify regions it considers possible new homes for expansion teams in the future.

ARLC chairman John Grant last week delivered expansion groups a body blow saying expansion talk was off the table until the end of 2014.

It means several consortiums across Australia and in PNG would be unlikely to be up and running until 2017.

Brisbane Bombers bid director Craig Davison said on Thursday with bid groups spending large amounts of money on staff and programs, the ARLC should provide some direction as early as possible to the geographic regions under consideration for expansion.

He said without it, a lot of money will be spent unnecessarily in regions that will not benefit.

"The ARL Commission were put in control of the game to best manage the direction and this announcement is part of how they see the best go-forward for the expansion of the game," Davison said.

"Brisbane is the heartland of rugby league and has been for a number of years.

"It is long overdue for expansion and we will be ready in 2014 to be part of the expansion process."

Davidson said Brisbane was the biggest market between Sydney and Singapore and, by 2027, would have a population of more than four million.

"Brisbane will be a market that rugby league will dominate through the expansion of a second NRL side," he said.

"I urge the ARL Commission to provide direction (to bid groups) as early as possible to the geographic regions that would be in consideration for expansion, so money is not spent in areas that will not benefit," he said.

They should put in a plan in motion ie
2017 - West Coast Pirates, Brisbane Bombers
2019 - CQld, another bid

Central Coast either waits until a team falls

eagles2win said:
2019 - CQld, another bid

I agree. The bid teams from all over have already put in a tremendous amount of work. Incentives are not enough anymore. They need to put something in concrete.

eagles2win said:
2019 - CQld, another bid

They need to kill off bids now that have no hope of making it into the NRL in the next 10-15 years. One of these is the Bears. There are more important areas to expand into before another NSW team, including a 2nd Brisbane team, a 2nd NZ team, a Perth team and another QLD team (on top of Brisbane).

I personally think the CC Bears should start thinking less about propping up the Rabbitohs in the NSW Cup and more about getting their own team together. As John Grant said, starting in the lower grades is a good start to build up a team and support.

They are coming across as another Sydney team moving up to the Coast.
And will never be successful as such.

Give the Coast a choice of a new team ie the Centurions

eagles2win said:
They are coming across as another Sydney team moving up to the Coast.
And will never be successful as such.

Give the Coast a choice of a new team ie the Centurions

A purely CC entity is unsustainable financially.

That's why the Bears bid hangs on to the Northern Sydney area so tightly and they've made it clear they need that catchment to be a sustainable entity.

Hamster Huey said:

If that's the case then don't give them a team.

There are too many teams already in Sydney, any new team coming in should not be allowed to be associated in any way with any part of Sydney.

Brookie4eva said:
Hamster Huey said:

If that's the case then don't give them a team.

There are too many teams already in Sydney, any new team coming in should not be allowed to be associated in any way with any part of Sydney.

100% agree. It's Central Coast only, or nothing at all.

Growth in teams should only come from large population bases. Brisbane can easily fit another, but not the Sunshine Coast or CQ, IMO. They are both probably 20 years from having the numbers to really drive it.

Darwin is no good at under 150,000 and I don't see Wellington or PNG being large enough either.

When we have the likes of Newcastle, Canberra and Townsville not generating the dollars for those clubs to develop huge resources, then I can't see any other regional centre able to achieve it. The Steelers inability to go it alone is warning enough that even a League-centric regional area doesn't guarantee sustainability.

The future is in 3-4 less Sydney teams and one more club in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide.

eagles2win said:
2019 - CQld, another bid

I agree.

But in 2019 what about the Adeliade Rams?

That way at least it would be a NATIONAL Rugby League competition.

eagle-rock08 said:
eagles2win said:
2019 - CQld, another bid

I agree.

Adelaide failed miserably last time. They don't even get the big crowds for the one off games that occur every year. I'd love to see a team there but it would be a failure.

Oh and where will all the players for these teams come from? There simply isn't the depth of talent to support any more teams in the foreseeable future.

Jono said:
eagle-rock08 said:
eagles2win said:
2019 - CQld, another bid

I agree.

Adelaide failed miserably last time. They don't even get the big crowds for the one off games that occur every year. I'd love to see a team there but it would be a failure.

I'm thinking more along the lines of NZ 2

MWSE said:
Oh and where will all the players for these teams come from? There simply isn't the depth of talent to support any more teams in the foreseeable future.

Other the last few years we've seen what would equate to a full squad go to the ESL.
Plus factor in players from there that want to come from a new challenge.
The islands and png are largely untapped.
Who knows what this new French comp will unsurface.
Wales usually unearths a classy player as well.
Also Canadians and Americans could possible have some players.
Often thought that guys that play grid iron in the Line backer or running back position that don't make the NFL or CFL would kill it in league

As far as the Brisbane teams name it's a shocker - name them Brisbane United and get support from the traditional Brisbane clubs - Norths, Easts, Souths, Redcliffe, Wynnum and some of the clubs that aren't participating in Qld Cup and the like ie Wests, Brothers and the Diehards

My mad thought for the day say if this Manly, Canberra and Warriors thing into Asia goes EXTREMELY well and the locals love the game and the clubs involved persist with the idea for say 5 years and it's still successful.
Could this happen? Say a Hong Kong business/business's want into the NRL via there own team.
Attracting players wouldn't be a problem or corporate support just the development.
Told ya it was bat **** crazy

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6