Are Manly supporter’s greedy little pigs? Player value list

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Ok let’s look at this logically, yes we could want the club to keep our fantastic squad together and we are dead set lucky that players like Foran, DCE, T-rex & Gift have exceeded expectations.

It’s clear we can’t keep all these superstars under the cap and also we are probably lucky there is a cap because if we payed them all what it’s worth Manly would go broke.

So let’s enjoy the positives, we’ve played in 3 GF’s in 5 years and won 2 and we have the opportunity to watch this team have a red hot go at back 2 back. For a club that is struggling financially we are truly blessed.

Teams like Bulldogs, Storm, Broncos & Dragons with seemingly unlimited funds could only dream of our success.

We need to make sure we keep up junior player developement. As 5 years time what will Manly be able to have?

Let’s have a look at our player line up and consider what these players are worth to "other clubs" and let’s see if we can keep them.
Feel free to carve up my list I could be way off.

1. Brett Stewart $400k
2. Michael Oldfield $120k
3. Jamie Lyon © $400k
4. Steve Matai $300k
5. David Williams $300k
6. Kieran Foran $500k
7. Daly Cherry-Evans $500k
8. Jason King © $300k
9. Matt Ballin $350k
10. Brent Kite $300k
11. Anthony Watmough $400k
12. Tony Williams $400k
13. Glen Stewart $400k

Interchange:
14. Jamie Buhrer $250k
15. Vic Mauro $150k
16. Darcy Lussick $200k
17. Tim Robinson $100k
18. Daniel Harrison $100k
19. George Rose $120k
Other 20-25 (total $350k)

Total value over 25 players $5,940,000
That’s about $940k over next years proposed cap and a 1.5 million over this years cap

byso said:
Ok let’s look at this logically, yes we could want the club to keep our fantastic squad together and we are dead set lucky that players like Foran, DCE, T-rex & Gift have exceeded expectations.

It’s clear we can’t keep all these superstars under the cap and also we are probably lucky there is a cap because if we payed them all what it’s worth Manly would go broke.

So let’s enjoy the positives, we’ve played in 3 GF’s in 5 years and won 2 and we have the opportunity to watch this team have a red hot go at back 2 back. For a club that is struggling financially we are truly blessed.

Teams like Bulldogs, Storm, Broncos & Dragons with seemingly unlimited funds could only dream of our success.

We need to make sure we keep up junior player developement. As 5 years time what will Manly be able to have?

Let’s have a look at our player line up and consider what these players are worth to "other clubs" and let’s see if we can keep them.
Feel free to carve up my list I could be way off.

1. Brett Stewart $400k
2. Michael Oldfield $120k
3. Jamie Lyon © $400k
4. Dean Whare $100k
5. David Williams $300k
6. Kieran Foran $500k
7. Daly Cherry-Evans $500k
8. Jason King © $300k
9. Matt Ballin $350k
10. Brent Kite $300k
11. Anthony Watmough $400k
12. Tony Williams $400k
13. Glen Stewart $400k

Interchange:
14. Jamie Buhrer $250k
15. Vic Mauro $150k
16. Darcy Lussick $200k
17. Tim Robinson $100k
18. Daniel Harrison $100k
19. George Rose $120k

Total value over 25 players $5,740,000
That’s about $740k over next years proposed cap and a 1.3 million over this years cap

It is way more than that over. more like $1.5m - the cap of $5m has to include match payments $2000 per game for 17 players plus incentive bonuses.

Buhrer would only be worth $150k
D. Williams $180k
V. Mauro $100k
M.Ballin $200k
A.Watmough $350k

i think a few have been overvalued. I couldnt see clubs parting with more than
whare 70
wolfie 180
king 250
ballin 250
kite 250
buhrer 170
and the 20-25 300k

and yove probably undervalued lussick. prob closer to 250

that gets yo down to about 5.3m. And that is what it would cost to get them to leave. They would all take a bit less to stay i would imagine. Your breakdown has given me great hope that we arent in as dire a situation as many would like to predict. We could get out of this only losing 1 star.

i just realised youve left out matai. Theres another 250-300k.

I added Matai

Problem with back end contracts we get stuck like we are now with DCE wanting extra. But there is no way of avoiding them.

We are all well aware that we can't keep them all,and 2 or 3 stars will be squeezed out. But the halves must be kept at all costs. If one or both go we wont recover. If others leave wel still be a force with the Foz and DCE calling the shots.

Remove B Stewart, B Kite, G Rose and Joe G and we won't have any problems.

Hard I know, but something akin to this will have to happen. The only trick would be keeping G Stewart if Brett goes.

the mauler said:
We are all well aware that we can't keep them all,and 2 or 3 stars will be squeezed out. But the halves must be kept at all costs. If one or both go we wont recover. If others leave wel still be a force with the Foz and DCE calling the shots.
And Lyon, has to stay until he retires. Other than those three I think we've got enough talent coming through to cover all other positions.

What is the minimum payment for them now, I know it used to be $55,000

1. Brett Stewart $400k - About right
2. Michael Oldfield $120k - Way over, should be on 100k or less
3. Jamie Lyon © $400k - Worth every cent
4. Dean Whare $100k - over should be on minimum + match payments
5. David Williams $300k - no way, i would say closed to 250k at the most, he wont get a good contract elsewhere because of injuries
6. Kieran Foran $500k - fair price I say
7. Daly Cherry-Evans $500k fair price for this guy too
8. Jason King © $300k -> over paid for the job he does
9. Matt Ballin $350k -> my favourite player, pay him more :)
10. Brent Kite $300k -> thats about right
11. Anthony Watmough $400k -> fair price
12. Tony Williams $400k -> 350k I think
13. Glen Stewart $400k -> fair price, one of the best in the game

Interchange:
14. Jamie Buhrer $150k -> id say possibly less that this
15. Vic Mauro $150k - More realistic, but I would say more worth the 130k mark
16. Darcy Lussick $180k - He has played all of 9 games or something, and hasn't done anything to tell me he is worth $200k yet. If he wants more sign elsewhere
17. Tim Robinson $100k - Fair
18. Daniel Harrison $100k - I would have him on just over minimum
19. George Rose $120k -> just put him on maccas vouchers

oldie would be on min wage this year as would all the non regulars/juniors coming through lussick, buhrer, harrison, robinson, mauro, whare etc

The best way to use back ended contracts is how we did with Rodney. He was on a small contract for 3 years but would have been on a much bigger one in his 4th year when we found him a Super League gig and solved the problem.

This could work with Snake as well 2 to 3 years at Manly and a swansong in England, we could even tip in some of the SL contract dough to sweeten the deal.

Fluffy said:
oldie would be on min wage this year as would all the non regulars/juniors coming through lussick, buhrer, harrison, robinson, mauro, whare etc

Bhurer signed a new upgraded contract didn't he?

I think we are looking to upgrade DCE's cotnract and then get a new one at the end of next year

Simple solution is for the salary cap to be $8m and then all the other clubs can watch us do the victory lap each October.

Kite is going to the Uk at the end of this year from what i have heard and rose, Joe, Robinson and d Williams can join him as well so as to free up space.

Just off the phone from Brian Waldrons he has helped me out with what he reckons some of these guys are worth.

Jamie Lyon = $500k (nrl contract shows $250k) + boat + bag of cash
Glenn Stewart = $500k (nrl contract shows $250k)+ harvey norman vouchers
Brett Stewart = $500 (nrl contract shows $250k)+ bag of cash
Anthony Watmough = $450k (nrl contract shows $250k)+ bag of cash

edit: Brian wouldnt give me a price on DCE, Foran or Lussick as he has been out of the game for a while and didnt know much about them. He thought their mums might like a nice car though.

The club couldn't afford $8million.

tookey said:
Simple solution is for the salary cap to be $8m and then all the other clubs can watch us do the victory lap each October.

Kite is going to the Uk at the end of this year from what i have heard and rose, Joe, Robinson and d Williams can join him as well so as to free up space.

wombatgc said:
the mauler said:
And Lyon, has to stay until he retires. Other than those three I think we've got enough talent coming through to cover all other positions.

Agree - Lyon is $450,000

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7