Anthony Seibold - Manly coach. "Official"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From The Australian:

Why Anthony Seibold is a good fit to take over from Des Hasler as Manly coach​

The Sea Eagles’ relationship with Des Hasler is almost beyond repair. Fans need to accept change is on the way, and Anthony Seibold is the answer, writes Brent Read.

There has been a running gag in the Triple M commentary box in recent seasons. Anthony Maroon, expert commentator and occasional antagonist, has taken to referring to yours truly as the Seibold Sympathiser, a nod to my support for Anthony Seibold as he raged against the rugby league machine.
This columnist backed Seibold when he went from South Sydney to the Brisbane Broncos, a decision that went a long way towards costing me my relationship with supercoach Wayne Bennett.
I backed him as the Broncos started to spiral out of control and results slowly began to decline. I backed him when he was turned on by social media trolls, which played a significant part in things unravelling in Brisbane only two years after he was named Dally M coach of the year.

So for fear of perpetuating the theory that I am in the Sebold camp, and without denigrating two-time premiership winner Des Hasler or suggesting he should be moved on, allow me to share a few reasons why I reckon Seibold is a good fit for Manly.

And why the Sea Eagles fans should reserve their judgment if the club decides to go down that path, which seems increasingly likely to happen as it becomes apparent that the divide between Hasler and the club hierarchy is wider than anyone had anticipated.

There seems little chance Hasler will be in charge when next season kicks off. It was barely tenable a month ago when News Corp revealed the extent of the divide at the club over Manly’s strategic direction.

Things have only got worse since. A lot worse. In recent days, the club has sent Hasler a series of demands that effectively dilute his powers when it comes to appointing coaching staff and the recruitment of players.

The Hasler camp has responded by insinuating they would launch legal action over the Pride jersey fiasco, which sent the Sea Eagles’ season into a downward spiral from which they never recovered.

Manly seem unconcerned, perhaps because Hasler’s football department were given notification of the jerseys at the start of the year, months before they were worn by some players and snubbed by others.

They also believe they are protected under the terms of the contract. Which brings us back to Seibold, who looms as the next man up at Manly as the club powerbrokers look to wrestle back control of the club from Hasler.

Seibold is a local. He lives on Sydney’s northern beaches not that far from 4 Pines Park. He understands the area – sometimes known as the Insular Peninsula – and their passion for the Sea Eagles.

He was once a coach at the club, working as an assistant a few years back. Crucially, he knows Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic boys – Jake and Tom. Regardless of the identity of the next coach, they can only succeed if they have Manly’s three most important and influential players on board.

Seibold knows that as much as anyone from his time in Brisbane. He arrived at the Broncos on his own, leaving his family behind in Sydney. He had a young squad which suffered from a dire lack of leadership.

When things started going south, there was no one to lean on. Seibold would then go home to an empty house and stew on his day. He had no escape.
He won’t have that issue at Manly, a club he knows well from his previous stint working under Trent Barrett. Seibold was only there for a short time – he left after one season to join South Sydney, where he eventually took charge, leading the club to the preliminary final and becoming Dally M coach of the year – but it was long enough for him to gain an appreciation of the northern beaches.

When it all went pear-shaped in Brisbane, he licked his wounds at that house a stone’s throw from 4 Pines Park. He walked the stretch of beach from Queenscliff to Shelly Beach with his dog in tow, no doubt marinating on his time in Brisbane and how he could have handled it better.

So Seibold understands the Manly people, their club and the players. More importantly, he understands the game, its politics and himself better than he ever has. He has learned first hand how rugby league can chew you up and spit you out. It was a painful experience but one that has made him a better coach.

Funnily enough, I bumped into Seibold about six weeks ago while I was having a beer at 4 Pines before a Manly game. He had just returned from a stint working alongside Eddie Jones with the English rugby union team, where he is employed as defensive coach.
Jones doesn’t suffer fools. He is a renowned taskmaster who demands excellence from his staff. Stories abound of Jones pushing his staff to the brink.

Seibold has been a key cog for Jones, thriving on the intense pressure that comes with working for Jones.

Sit with him for some time and his passion for being a head coach again hasn’t been dimmed by his previous experiences.

He knows where things went wrong in Brisbane and he knows what he has to do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

He will need to hold his nerve because his first few months in charge as a head coach will be under the microscope. Some will be looking for cracks to form. Seibold has unshakable belief in his own abilities and if things don’t work out, that won’t be his undoing.

He has unfinished business in the NRL. He may yet get to finish it at Manly. If he does, Sea Eagles supporters should give him a chance.

Last edited:
Great response. We are in danger of becoming a basket-case like a few other clubs with no chance of premiership success for who knows how long.
It’s just ridiculous. It’s been like this for years now. Mess after mess to clean up.

This year is the worst yet. Ceo who asks sponsors for money, pride jersey saga, now this rubbish about replacing the coach who made the top 4 last year and has coached to 16/20 finals with the wooden spoon coach. You actually couldn’t make this stuff up.

Agree It will be a disgrace if this dropkick gets appointed

Ask the Broncos what they thought of him

I see him in Manly walking around thinking he is something special

Didn't Bozo tell him to **** off when he was assistant coach because he always thought that he was the smartest bloke in the room, wouldn't take bozo's advice and confused all the players with his highly technical tactics which none of the players could understand?

If this bloke is coach Penns choice must have been between Barrett, Sharp, Lowe, Maguire, Griffin and Seibold

Penn probably made the choice on the basis that Seibold lives on the northern beaches and won't ask for mileage money to travel from home to trainingt

too sure regarding if Bozo said that to Seibold

Agree It will be a disgrace if this dropkick gets appointed

Ask the Broncos what they thought of him

I see him in Manly walking around thinking he is something special

Didn't Bozo tell him to **** off when he was assistant coach because he always thought that he was the smartest bloke in the room, wouldn't take bozo's advice and confused all the players with his highly technical tactics which none of the players could understand?

If this bloke is coach Penns choice must have been between Barrett, Sharp, Lowe, Maguire, Griffin and Seibold

Penn probably made the choice on the basis that Seibold lives on the northern beaches and won't ask for mileage money to travel from home to training
I'm not too sure if Bozo said that to Seibold but perhaps the reason why Penn wants Seibold is because he will come cheap. The pending court battle with Hasler will cost him some coin and to recoup any lost money let's hire rejects on the cheap, like we did with Barrett and co.

From The Australian:

Sea Eagles supporters should give him a chance.​

What do we have to lose if we sign another coach ?

We will lose all this Unstable and unworkable crisis and hope the former NRL coach of the year Seibold is a better fit

When I came to This Great Country with my parents years ago for a better life
I embraced the Great Aussie spirit of giving a wog a fair go which made me and my family proud and loyal Australians

The same Manly Fair Go spirit should apply to any one interested in having a go at being our Manly coach and having success with our Legendary club

Honestly, I could see Des saying “let me bring on Hannay and I will groom him to take over”, and then after 12 months saying, “nah, he’s not up to it, let me find someone else”. Rinse and repeat for the next 5 years.
Or Hannay cost less than Seibold and Des can have most of the coaching salary cap again

I also like flanno as stated before,but if all fails I think seibold is a ok fit both experienced and familiar with players and surroundings .We need a calm stable club with everyone on board or we are in serious trouble as a club if we don't.

Looks like Des is trying to double dip again [ like in 2011 ] if that bizarre claim and suggested action about the Rain Bow jersey ' s saga has any foundation and about as much credence as his 2011 attempted legal action . Or trying to be in a better bargaining position which also would seem a bit on the strange side . if Des can not accept that he has to show at least some improvement in on field performances during the earlier stages of next season , really taking a very questionable perspective . If he thinks that he should not be subject to at least some conditions before any extension , again just can not be accepting current reality

Not even being presently canvassed but wouldn 't mind Billy Slater being given some consideration . Obviously has some serious coaching ability if the recent S O O series is any indication . Not sure what he would ask for if there were any overtures though but may not be unreasonable . Looks like Seibold is in the frame at the present time for i st option choice however

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6