Another Channel Nine stuff up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
How's this for promoting rugby league: Channel Nine won't show the match live in Melbourne. They are showing re-runs of some crap. Melbourne fans won't see a replay until 11.30pm.

I thought Channel Nine was entrusted to help RL, not hinder it.
Surely this must count against Nine when the next TV deal is negotiated.

They pay money to make money

If it is not in the deal then they are under no obligation to do anything other than get a return on their investment

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Who cares the vics don't give a s**t for league anyway.

Then why is all the money being wasted propping up Melbourne? Why not just relocate Storm to Brisbane?

The Who said:
How's this for promoting rugby league: Channel Nine won't show the match live in Melbourne. They are showing re-runs of some crap. Melbourne fans won't see a replay until 11.30pm.

1 hour delay on GEM

Wow lucky them, repeats of Two and Half Men, The Mentalist, and CSI.

Another area where the AFL management is killing it, in the next AFL deal any Swans or GWS games must be shown live into Sydney on FTA, I believe.

A note for the NRL, you can still get good money for the tv rights without selling your soul to the tv networks.

The Who said:
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Who cares the vics don't give a s**t for league anyway.

Then why is all the money being wasted propping up Melbourne? Why not just relocate Storm to Brisbane?

If News Ltd pulled the funding there would be no Storm. Its only a matter of time before this happens.

Big organisations often benefit by having branches that run at huge losses, but this wont go on for ever.

Happy days ahead.

The sooner Melbourne have to stand on their own two feet the better. They have been getting a leg up for over 10 years now.

The TV rights deal has nothing to do with promoting the game. Its about broadcasting the game so tehy can make money, and don't kid yourself into thinking any other station would be any different.

Broadcasters are the only thing keeping the game alive, without TV and radio the game dies tomorrow and when they pay the bills they can do what they want.

Have to blame the ****ty NRL Management for not sticking up and doing something about this, how does this game expect to grow like this? ****ing Gallop, he does not seem like the type of guy who can set a situation straight.

And poor ol' Tassie viewers don't get the first game till 1:30 am and the second game at 3:30 am.

I guess you've got be an ardent supporter to folow RL in Tassie and live there by choice... chuckle..chuckle.

But there are a few.

The Eagle said:
The Who said:

1 hour delay on GEM

I didn't think they were going to show it in Melbourne but they have TBA on Gem on friday night for two hours. I can understand that they don't want to show too many games down there but it would have a lot of interest for Melbournians if it was advertised a bit , plus they are going to be showing the finals so you'd think they would want to warm up viewers. It should be a great game.

11.30 p.m EST is when the fox sports replay of the game starts. If you live in VIC and have foxtel (which you would if you want to follow RL), why would you want to sit through all the ads on ch9? Idiots.

Chip and Chase said:
The sooner Melbourne have to stand on their own two feet the better. They have been getting a leg up for over 10 years now.

To the tune of about ten million a year I think!!

The game is being shown here in Perth at 11.30pm WST on ch9 or at 9.30pm WST on fox sports.

Ch9 have done sweet **** all when it comes to promoting the game nationaly. They could have built up viewers over the years by showing games at reasonable times rather than opting for damn re-runs of Macguyver ect. The sooner they are gone, the better.

WAMF said:
The game is being shown here in Perth at 11.30pm WST on ch9 or at 9.30pm WST on fox sports.

Ch9 have done sweet f**k all when it comes to promoting the game nationaly. They could have built up viewers over the years by showing games at reasonable times rather than opting for damn re-runs of Macguyver ect. The sooner they are gone, the better.

Well said!!

I used to love Macguyver but seriously, how many more viewers would you win or lose if you played the rugby league? Surely Macguyver can't rate that well!

Captain of the Gate said:
The TV rights deal has nothing to do with promoting the game. Its about broadcasting the game so tehy can make money, and don't kid yourself into thinking any other station would be any different.

Broadcasters are the only thing keeping the game alive, without TV and radio the game dies tomorrow and when they pay the bills they can do what they want.

I dispute this. Rugby league thrived when their was no electronic coverage. The best we had was Frank Hyde broadcasting from the sidelines on radio.

TV needs RL more than the other way around. Foxtell would fold tomorrow if they didn't have RL. RL is Channel Nine's best rating program.

What would happen is that the game would get less professional, and some players would switch to union. The standard would drop. But that situation would last only only as long as the NRL held its nerve, and the electronic media came crawling back.

I would still go and watch Manly play. Without TV it would just mean I wouldn't see other sides until they played Manly. No big deal.

Kids would still play RL.

What you are saying infers that TV is bigger than the game. If that's the case, then gambling must be the most important thing we have because gambling advertising pays for the TV coverage.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8