Funny stories and amusing anecdotes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Recalling the urban myth of Bozo's response to a player complaining about Noel Cleal's lack of tackling, has got me to thinking, that within the collective memory of Silvertails there must be some wonderful yarns.

Would love to hear them, and the only two points that I would make is they should be more humerus than malicious, and shouldn't be slanderous.

And never, never ever let the truth get in the way.
G'day all, I'd just like to share this with everyone,but i'm not exactly sure of protocol,so I will tread warily. It concerns a notice placed in the death notices in yesterdays Canberra Times.What caught my attention was the Sea Eagles logo,and upon reading the notice it turned out that the gentleman who had passed away was a staunch Manly supporter,so much so that it was requested that those wishing to attend his funeral come dressed in maroon and white to reflect his passion for his team.I extend my sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.
cheers mike

G'day all, I'd just like to share this with everyone,but i'm not exactly sure of protocol,so I will tread warily. It concerns a notice placed in the death notices in yesterdays Canberra Times.What caught my attention was the Sea Eagles logo,and upon reading the notice it turned out that the gentleman who had passed away was a staunch Manly supporter,so much so that it was requested that those wishing to attend his funeral come dressed in maroon and white to reflect his passion for his team.I extend my sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.
cheers mike

Mike .. There is a memorial thread .... if you have the notice you could post it there .... maybe some of our Canberrians knew the fellow and/or if he was a Silvertail ....

G'day all, I was wondering the same thing @Woodsie as to whether or not he was a member on here as I too recall posters mentioning their residency around the ACT area. Unfortunately I don't have the notice, nor the computer skills to upload it.
cheers mike

Mike .. There is a memorial thread .... if you have the notice you could post it there .... maybe some of our Canberrians knew the fellow and/or if he was a Silvertail ....

G'day all, I was wondering the same thing @Woodsie as to whether or not he was a member on here as I too recall posters mentioning their residency around the ACT area. Unfortunately I don't have the notice, nor the computer skills to upload it.
cheers mike

Link to the notice.
I coudnt get the memorial thread up
http://tributes.canberratimes.com.a...-au/obituary.aspx?n=rolf-hukari&pid=190341728

( @Go manly .... you posted this in another thread, but I have taken the liberty of reposting it here .... I hope as the years go by this thread will contain some good yarns that would otherwise be lost .... hope you don't mind ....)

Funny story about les that I will try to keep brief

Les was staying at a local pub of mine in south coast coaching country kids at a NSW knockout

I was sitting next to a dragon mate of mine at the bar having an very early morning hair of the dog beer

We were the only two in the pub

He was rubbishing manly as I was dragons

I saw les walk in and stand right next to my mate at the bar who was facing me and did not see les

I encouraged him to keep putting ****e on our players and then brought of les’s name and how good he was

Sure enough my mate responded calling les all the names under the sun

He was soft, a thug , over rated and so on
His last statement was “ hey listen to him talk , he even sounds like a girl’

Les was just looking straight a head listening with dead pan eyes and I actually felt scared

I said to my mate “ bet you would not say that to his face and when he bignoted and said he would , I asked him to turn around

As he turned around, to see who was there , les turned real slow and just stared at him

My mate actually shrunk, started stuttering and shaking all at the same time while les just stared before turning towards him but then just walking out in his sorts singlet and things

To this day I don’t know if he saw the funny side and just played along but there was certainly no smile no words just those imposing eyes ....

Once played in a fairly important regional club bush footy match in N Q where my team "s very fiery prop [ actually a N Q rep pre Cowboys days ] got sent off in the first tackle of the game by ironing out a rival prop from the kick of . [ no shoulder charge though and he recovered in a short time to resume ] Actually my side only went down by 6 points at game "s end but i have never seen a similar situation in any level of footy with a player sent of in the first tackle of a footy match . Anyone else seen something similar ?

Once played in a fairly important regional club bush footy match in N Q where my team "s very fiery prop [ actually a N Q rep pre Cowboys days ] got sent off in the first tackle of the game by ironing out a rival prop from the kick of . [ no shoulder charge though and he recovered in a short time to resume ] Actually my side only went down by 6 points at game "s end but i have never seen a similar situation in any level of footy with a player sent of in the first tackle of a footy match . Anyone else seen something similar ?
I'm sure it happened in a test against the pommies once, Adrian Morely I think

Just a funny x 2 stories...
At Brookie back in 1987 against St G
Ron Gibbs was like a man possessed taking on the Saints pack with torpedo tackling and that gangly running style of elbows/knees in attack.
His physical approach left him half KO’d and exhausted...runs the ball up and gets knocked off feet....yet doesn’t give up, crawling up field on hands and knees for another 15 metres....swerving 2-3 more tackles on the way !!

Another would be a completely different situation
As a kid I listened to a Newtown vs Manly game with Frank Hyde commentating.
Manly were down 10-7 in the dying stages and Manly winger Stuart Davis gets the ball 80m out with a clear run up the sideline - cover closing....about 30m out old Frank lost his voice almost having a heart attack and i had to wait 2 minutes for him to get his voice back to confirm the try .....unfortunately Eadie missed the conversion but 10-10 was better than s loss and have remembered that call ever since.
Old Frank Hyde - what a rugby league legend.

Last edited:

Rex Mossop I think ..... (not sure if Morely broke his record) .... but from sketchy memory it was Rex from the kick-off ..

@The better Robbo ... and other newer mebers ... FYI I started thisthread some tie back ... the first post explains why ... interesting and interesting reading for some .... and you all have a yarn worth recording ......

To add some light - chasing funny stories from any era in Rugby League.
As a few examples, the famous Aussie tour where Johny Raper walked the England streets naked wearing only a hat.
Back in time when Terry Lamb was being chased by most clubs, Famous Old Bulldog Moore organising a Chinese banquet involving all team Chairmen...which most attended.
He arrived late and when they all asked "what happened, why are you late"?....he responded "Ive been busy signing Terry Lamb"
My personal favourite sledge was when Steve Walters and Benny Elias were battling for the Aussie hooking role...which Walters won.
They happened to be playing each other the week before the test and as a scrum was packing down, Walters says "Hurry up Benny, Ive got a test match to play next week "

I like the one where Freddy Jones met Malcolm Fraser
Malcolm Fraser was introduced to Manly hooker Fred Jones. Fraser asked him what he did for a job." I'm a wharfie" said Fred. "I've got friends who work on the wharves" said Malcolm. "I don't ****in know any of them "

I hated Jason Taylor so like the one Matty Johns told on the podcast a while back. Knights v bears and Joey and Taylor were in a tight battle in a close game. Taylor apparently was talking all game and carrying on. They were at a scrum and Taylor was whinging About something and Joey just gives him the old stomp on the foot before Taylor was about to feed the scrum. Taylor cries foul to referee Greg McCullum “sir did you see that, that’s a foul” McCollum responds “yes I saw it and thought it was f***** funny, now feed the scrum”. Poor old Taylor. Everyone hated that prick.

Lots of clubs were interested in Mal cochrane, a gun junior on the mid north coast, captain of Australia schoolboys team. Arko knew of bullfrog’s interest, and Mal was due to go to Sydney to meet some clubs. Arko didn’t wait, he drove to Taree one night and signed him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6