Amone - Can he crack the NRL in 2019 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Could Amone surprise and get a shot at Manly in the Top 17 in 2019 ??
I have little doubt he would already be close to a 19 man squad.
He is a very capable defender and though not a deadly attacking forward, he rolls up the sleeves with decent go forward including good gain on post contact metres.
Every side needs some hard working, reliable blokes up front, with a solid defensive game a bonus and he fits that category.
Could he get a go this season and become that handy bloke who gets it done with defensive steel and workrate, or will he simply remain a quality Premier league player.

I don't think so mate. There are too many other more qualified players. Lloyd Perrett. Tof Sipley. Would need heaps of injuries. Then you'd move Jake in the middle, then probably bring another backrower in 1st.

He's not part of the top 29 squad is he either, so not sure if it even works.

He doesn’t seem to have an offload - only 2 in 22 rounds last year (assuming the stats are reliable). For those that have seen him play, is this accurate? If so, it might explain why he hasn’t got a contract with Manly as props need to have an offload in their kit bag.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/in...p-nsw/blacktown-workers-sea-eagles/tom-amone/
As a younger player he had ball skills as good as Gifty,he was moved into front row in 2017 and was not needed to pass and at lock last year was much of the same.I think this is more a coaching thing than ability,he has amazing hands and vision,hopefully he gets the chance to use it more,as a junior was a gifted weapon...His position is not prop,13 or 12 is better but can play prop if needed,so versatile as a player.

The fact that he hasn't been named in the extended squad doesn't look promising for him. That's not a definitive list, but it's a fair indication of where the club thinks he sits at the moment. If we move a player or two on before season start then maybe he is a chance of a call up. I only watched a couple of BWSE games this year, but he always looked willing, and the fact that he made the ISP team of the year shows he was pretty consistent.

I cant understand why he is not in our top 30 now.

We have lost Kelly and we don't know who fills that spot yet I guess.

Withstanding his obvious talent at junior level, he is behind quite a few guys who have displayed some level of ability against men and deserve their crack ahead of him.
I am a fan, but I believe he is a backrower and bigger money guys need to be evaluated at this level first in those positions. Forcing him to be a FG prop prospect would be a big mistake IMHO.

Undoubtedly he would grow in our new main squad environment but I hope he will use another year under the revitalised system in prep for his main squad inclusion in 2020 and I don't believe him having a top 30 spot this year is in the best interests of him or the club.

I'm very happy to pay him more to keep him here on the correct path than lose him until we actually know where he belongs for the future.

For me, Shuster is a bigger puzzle to solve.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI Amone has signed with the Rabbitohs effective immediately.
Amone seemed to have a great motor - just lacked the edge for an NRL spot....whole hearted player and wish him well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7