All these fowards...who plays??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Huge selection of players to choose from.
The backs are almost self picked but the fowards are under the promising - perform or play NSW Cup category....
Who do you pick from 8-17 at full strength, knowing that form & injury can massively effect selection.
I go
8 - Mason - Many call for bench impact, but I would like him to raise tempo early
9 - Ballin - Still up with the best 9's in the game
10 - Lawrence - Great tempo & reliability - also 2nd row option imo
11 - Mateo - Can turn this skillful unit into a quality 60 - 70 minute player
12 - Symonds - Adds versatility & reliability to the ruck
13 - Buhrer - Class & pace with great endurance, getting tougher with age
14 - Vave - Big bopper impact who can bend the line & hurt the opposition
15 - Trjobovic - Could be a starter by mid season, big heart, skill, future star imo
16 - JSL - Real improver who adds punch & best to come in 2015
17 - Hodges - Still a fan of spark late in each half - use him or lose him I say

Lui, Starling, Burgess, Horo, Chee kam, Sao, Leary & Baker add plenty of fight for positions, which is a healthy headache for the coaching staff.....

I am just looking forward to watching our trial games and seeing which players play their way in to our top 17 .

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

What's the story with Manaia Rudolph?

The nines story is talking him up at 5/8. Does he have any talent? Could he replace Foran in the future???

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

What's the story with Manaia Rudolph?

The nines story is talking him up at 5/8. Does he have any talent? Could he replace Foran in the future???
Has really good footwork Loobs but his control of a game & defence seem patchy?? Maybe this 9's could kickstart a better 2015 - well , lets hope....

Has really good footwork Loobs but his control of a game & defence seem patchy?? Maybe this 9's could kickstart a better 2015 - well , lets hope....
Good - thanks for that.

The club also seem to be very high on Santini. Gives me the impression that should Matai go, he would have the inside track for that spot.

Huge selection of players to choose from.
The backs are almost self picked but the fowards are under the promising - perform or play NSW Cup category....
Who do you pick from 8-17 at full strength, knowing that form & injury can massively effect selection.
I go
8 - Mason - Many call for bench impact, but I would like him to raise tempo early
9 - Ballin - Still up with the best 9's in the game
10 - Lawrence - Great tempo & reliability - also 2nd row option imo
11 - Mateo - Can turn this skillful unit into a quality 60 - 70 minute player
12 - Symonds - Adds versatility & reliability to the ruck
13 - Buhrer - Class & pace with great endurance, getting tougher with age
14 - Vave - Big bopper impact who can bend the line & hurt the opposition
15 - Trjobovic - Could be a starter by mid season, big heart, skill, future star imo
16 - JSL - Real improver who adds punch & best to come in 2015
17 - Hodges - Still a fan of spark late in each half - use him or lose him I say

Lui, Starling, Burgess, Horo, Chee kam, Sao, Leary & Baker add plenty of fight for positions, which is a healthy headache for the coaching staff.....
If we see Baker,Sao or Chee Kam playing 1st grade this year we are in trouble. I base that on disclosed form unless they have improved enormously in the off season and others have gone backwards. I'd have Burgess ahead of Vave as he did play 18 games last year in what was considered the best pack.

I doubt Tooves will run with Hodges on the bench, certainly not on a regular basis. Also for mine Lui has to be in the top 17, he was one of our most consistent performers last year. I'm not sure how many minutes Mason has in him these days, I'm thinking 15-20 mins a half, so we need prop depth on bench. Burgess being added to the roster gives us more options, and you'd think both him and Starling are well ahead of Turbo in terms of experience. Hopefully Turbo and Sao will get some game time this season to prove their worth, competition for spots will drive performance upward. My pack/bench would be as follows for start of season - how it ends up in the GF is anyone's guess.

BJ
Ballin
Starling
Lui
Symonds/Mateo - don't care who starts TBH
Buhrer

Symonds/Mateo
Mason
JSL
Burgess/Vave -

Plenty of options on top of that with Hodges, Horo, Turbo, Sao, Andrews, MCK, Leary, Baker

I feel like Starling is best suited to the bench, coming on a giving a quick fire up (like the Dogs semi). Doesn't do enough damage with a starters minutes.

8. Starling
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Buhrer (left side)
12. Symonds (right side)
13. Mateo (middle)

14. Mason
15. JSL
16. Lui / Burgess
17. Hodges

I think Tooves will stick with the majority from the end of last year. If Buhrer isn't fit for Round 1, then Horo will probably get a spot.
Hodges has to be on the bench most weeks. Mateo's offloading in the middle of the field will allow plenty of second phase options for Foz & DCE. Buhrer we know plays well on the edges.

I doubt Tooves will run with Hodges on the bench, certainly not on a regular basis. Also for mine Lui has to be in the top 17, he was one of our most consistent performers last year. I'm not sure how many minutes Mason has in him these days, I'm thinking 15-20 mins a half, so we need prop depth on bench. Burgess being added to the roster gives us more options, and you'd think both him and Starling are well ahead of Turbo in terms of experience. Hopefully Turbo and Sao will get some game time this season to prove their worth, competition for spots will drive performance upward. My pack/bench would be as follows for start of season - how it ends up in the GF is anyone's guess.

BJ
Ballin
Starling
Lui
Symonds/Mateo - don't care who starts TBH
Buhrer

Symonds/Mateo
Mason
JSL
Burgess/Vave -

Plenty of options on top of that with Hodges, Horo, Turbo, Sao, Andrews, MCK, Leary, Baker
Good selection Chippy . I noticed you haven't listed Hasson . Have you given up on him ?

Last edited:
LOL. I forgot about Hasson, maybe subconsciously I have given up on him ! He didn't set the world on fire last season you'd have to admit. Add him to the depth list.

LOL. I forgot about Hasson, maybe subconsciously I have given up on him ! He didn't set the world on fire last season you'd have to admit. Add him to the depth list.

Zorba rated Hasson and JSL in the Manly Daily as the two best so far in training for what it's worth. Said both were primed for big years.

Zorba rated Hasson and JSL in the Manly Daily as the two best so far in training for what it's worth. Said both were primed for big years.
Was this while Zorba ate 4 pies on the sideline? Hasson will need fantastic trial form to squeeze into our top 17. Loving the competition for spots we'll have in the pack this season.

My picks;

Mason - I've heard players say the forward battle is won in the first 10-15 minutes so Mason starts for mine.

Ballin

Lawrence

Symonds - an absolute must IMO. He is the closest thing we have to Glenn Stewart. He runs great lines off DCE, hits hard, can ball play (former 5/8) and has a good work rate. I think he has boundless potential.

Buhrer

Lui - one of our best last year and a revelation at lock before getting injured. He hits harder than any forward in our pack and is a real goer...our new Choc.

Bench;
Vave - we need his size and aggression

JSL - great impact player

Mateo - great impact player that can run amok against the tired forwards...too lazy in defence to start and play long minutes.

Take your pick of Starling, Hasson, Turbo and co.

Will also have to see how the new rule around releasing the tackled player affects the forwards. You can't really have a pile of massive but slow units tackling then taking forever to release because they will give away 20 penalties a game.

Just another thing to throw into the equation I suppose...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6