All smiles in Wallace homecoming

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
By Matt Encarnacion
NRL.com

Of the abundance of rugby league talent Panthers GM Phil Gould has lured to Penrith for the coming season, a single distinction separates one player from the rest.

Here's a hint: he's the only one home-grown.

That interminable fact alone is particularly significant when you consider that the last two locally made players in his position both led the club to its only two premierships.

Not including Gould's latest experiment - newly signed Papua New Guinean international Wellington Albert, who's been likened to a young Petero Civoniceva - at least nine new players, with more than 700 games' worth of experience between them, have been swayed into joining Gould's rebuilding efforts in Sydney's west.

But just one can lay claim to being raised there and, while his dramatic exit from Brisbane dragged on until late in the year, his negotiations with the Panthers boss probably lasted the quickest of the lot.

Asked how he feels about the playmaker-less predicament at the Broncos, Peter Wallace shoots back: "Mate, it's not my problem."

And given the way he was treated last year, a season that he's already described as a "write-off", suffice to say he doesn't really care.

Having been signed by Wayne Bennett to partner Darren Lockyer in the halves in 2007, Wallace struggled the past few seasons, culminating in being told he was no longer wanted at Red Hill.

Enter Gould and the team Wallace supported as a kid, who were quick to snap up the former Panther, particularly given the pastings they'd received for shedding local juniors Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings.

The improvements on and off the field that followed those two dramatic exits, however, have begun to take shape after an encouraging 2013 campaign. And they were exactly the kind of signs that prompted Wallace to return home.

"There were a couple of clubs in it, but to be honest, Penrith just felt like the right fit for me," Wallace told NRL.com.

"Having talked to Ivan [Cleary] and Gus [Gould], they were really good to deal with. It's good to see a pretty bright future for the players. It's exciting times for the club and the town itself."

It's been over a decade since halfback Craig Gower famously led the Panthers to their 2003 title, and 22 years since favourite son Greg Alexander, another former No. 7, gave them their first premiership.

Wallace, who helped Scotland to the World Cup quarter-finals last month, was supposed to be the next in line, having made his debut alongside Gower in 2007.

But during that year, Gower re-signed with the club on a long-term deal, prompting Wallace to accept an invitation to play alongside one of the best playmakers in the history of the game.

"When I was a young kid, I pictured myself just playing for Penrith and that was it. I didn't think I was going to leave in the first place," said Wallace, who joined his new team-mates two weeks before Christmas.

"That's rugby league though, you don't really know what's going to happen in the future. I got the chance to play in Brisbane and I loved my time up there.

"But in saying that, it's good to come home. I'll go pretty close to finishing my career here. I'm a bit older and a bit wiser now, a bit more experienced. I was only young and had only payed 20-odd games when I left.

"I've learnt a lot and hopefully I can pass a bit of that onto the kids coming through."

Another major reason for Wallace's return was to be by the side of his mother Diane, who survived a cancer scare last year.

"She's alright now, but she was crook; she had breast cancer last year," Wallace said. "She got the all-clear during the year, so that's pretty good news. She's doing well at the moment.

"It's good to be home for her and see a bit more of her here. I only saw her a couple of times a year, but she's just up the road from me now. It was definitely a drawing point."

I'm glad his Mum is good too! It's fine to post things about other teams here because this is a Manly sight, but this is not a strictly Manly forum. Please see forum description below.

Rugby League Forum
Discuss all things Rugby League in here, the forum is the core of the site, and is designed for all of us footy lovers out there. We welcome supporters of other NRL teams, or moreso, you are welcome to post, but please come armed with a thick skin and a sense of humour, this is after all a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles site.

lol, or are you saying that all things not related to the Manly football team should be removed from this forum? ;)

mozgrame said:
I'm glad his Mum is good too! It's fine to post things about other teams here because this is a Manly sight, but this is not a strictly Manly forum. Please see forum description below.

Rugby League Forum
Discuss all things Rugby League in here, the forum is the core of the site, and is designed for all of us footy lovers out there. We welcome supporters of other NRL teams, or moreso, you are welcome to post, but please come armed with a thick skin and a sense of humour, this is after all a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles site.

lol, or are you saying that all things not related to the Manly football team should be removed from this forum? ;)
No, not at all, sure if it's something important or a big name player, we want to hear about it, but Peter Wallace is hardly newsworthy, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Well, like it or not, P. Wallace is part of all things rugby league. How could you not be interested in what other teams are doing at this time of year? Sure it is always a better option to read about us, but geez it would be boring around here right now. Isn't the reason you come here to read about all things footy? Wallace has had some great stories over the years. His testicle one was a ball tearer! No matter how you pronounce it!!

But, I value your opinion and respect your decision not to read threads about such lowly players in opposition teams, brother.

This time of year is all about the boredom breaking. Tell the truth....that article and your 2 responses have given you something to do for a couple of minutes, yes?

:):) Happy New Year!! :):)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4