The Book of Albert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thank you for the help.

Unfortunately, I am unable to post the text to either Kiwi Eagle or Dan as I am receiving the same error.

Perhaps I will attach the reply as a PDF to see if that works.

Afternoon All,

Here is my reply attached as a PDF.

This is the only way I could load same and I do not believe there is any content that would warrant the concern of Dan or the Administrators.

Thank you.

AWDC.

Edit - @AndWeDon'tCare I've cut and pasted it below for you - C&C

I believe that amidst all the vitriol directed at the Club, our Coach and the support staff including non-coaching staff, it should be worth noting that the Club presented a well-documented portfolio of every activity the Club has exhausted on supporting this young man (who to be fair has reciprocated through the junior system on many occasions), including mental development, physical development, injury management, rehabilitation, lifestyle support matters and one-on-one personal development.

The support provided to the young man, includes a significant amount financially, however, more so, emotional-support when he suffered those injuries, was a combination of the Club’s duty of care at the time of each injury to do “such things” as well as their firm belief in his talent and ability, so it would be somewhat incongruous to suggest that they (the Club) now, during these negotiations, do not have a right to outline or proffer a programme TO THE player for the forthcoming contract period that he should consider and understand.

His management team believe that exact document is not warranted “as it is in the past.”

A previous post made by Scorpio is worth noting for the general “consensus” of those who work on the periphery at the Club is that they nurtured him through a multitude of matters and now seek that he, as an adult, understands the consequential impact, moving forward of that support.

The act of negotiation is not confided to the presentation of a contract “across a table” followed by the words “sign here”; the Club has detailed its position, quite extensively so, along with making him understand their expectations of, as a player, a Club man, an “asset” if you will, to ensure that they are getting fair value for the next stage of the investment in him.

A final point for all of us to consider, being match fit is not only confined to the physical condition of a player, it is a total state of mind, so our Coach may not believe he is “good enough” JUST YET, however, give him the game time, outside of our Club to see if, in-fact, the “grass is greener” on the other side.

(P.S. In my earlier post, you will note that I made no comment as to the quantum of the initial offer provided by that particular club suffice to say it is not close to our offer but loaded with a significant amount of match-driven incentives (triggered by selection in the starting 17 only) which would put it well past our offer, significantly so, IF they were to continue on with their average number of wins per season).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah righto? Maybe it was me who was angry. ;)
My interpretation on it was he was angry at the situation, not JWH.
As I recall, JWH had potential but wasn’t a starter with us then. He was skinny (he bulked up later) and gave away penalties thru poor discipline. The Roosters threw big $$$ at him and they needed to back then. I didn’t think he’d develop into quite the player he has but I wasn’t too bothered at the time.

As for young Hoppa, if you add it all up; not signed for next year, hasn’t debuted yet (considering our injuries and poor form), now being loaned to another team, so the whole league can, “see how he goes”. Either Des has already decided he doesn’t want him or, can sort of “take him or leave him” and isn’t to concerned either way.

I’ll be watching the Warriors next game to see how he goes but Des has been watching him at training all season. So he’s probably got a fair idea of how he’ll go.

If this is in fact a case of Hoppa thinking he deserves a massive first grade contract based simply on his ability in the junior comps & he isn't willing to negotiate within reason with Manly then he's always going to go after the biggest offer out there & if we keep him now we'll only encounter this situation again every time he wants more money.

I hope this isnt the case but if it is we're better off letting him go so we can concentrate on our younger players who want to be here.

His brother Will didn't exactly set the world alight after leaving us & there comes a time when you have to make tough decisions when dealing with les enfants terribles, otherwise you're at the mercy of their whim forever.

Afternoon All,

This is the only way I could load same and I do not believe there is any content that would warrant the concern of Dan or the Administrators.

Thank you.

AWDC.

Hey mate, unfortunately I am about as gifted with this things as Taufua is under the high ball, hopefully Dan can sort you out

Afternoon All,

Thank you.

AWDC.

Dear Andwedon'tcare ... I have taken the liberty of reproducing your reply here for the ease of those interested ... good summary of all the work and resources that goes into players these days .. thanks .

"I believe that amidst all the vitriol directed at the Club, our Coach and the support staff including non-coaching staff, it should be worth noting that the Club presented a welldocumented portfolio of every activity the Club has exhausted on supporting this young man (who to be fair has reciprocated through the junior system on many occasions), including mental development, physical development, injury management, rehabilitation, lifestyle support matters and one-on-one personal development. The support provided to the young man, includes a significant amount financially, however, more so, emotional-support when he suffered those injuries, was a combination of the Club’s duty of care at the time of each injury to do “such things” as well as their firm belief in his talent and ability, so it would be somewhat incongruous to suggest that they (the Club) now, during these negotiations, do not have a right to outline or proffer a programme TO THE player for the forthcoming contract period that he should consider and understand. His management team believe that exact document is not warranted “as it is in the past.” A previous post made by Scorpio is worth noting for the general “consensus” of those who work on the periphery at the Club is that they nurtured him through a multitude of matters and now seek that he, as an adult, understands the consequential impact, moving forward of that support. The act of negotiation is not confided to the presentation of a contract “across a table” followed by the words “sign here”; the Club has detailed its position, quite extensively so, along with making him understand their expectations of, as a player, a Club man, an “asset” if you will, to ensure that they are getting fair value for the next stage of the investment in him. A final point for all of us to consider, being match fit is not only confined to the physical condition of a player, it is a total state of mind, so our Coach may not believe he is “good enough” JUST YET, however, give him the game time, outside of our Club to see if, infact, the “grass is greener” on the other side. (P.S. In my earlier post, you will note that I made no comment as to the quantum of the initial offer provided by that particular club suffice to say it is not close to our offer but loaded with a significant amount of match-driven incentives (triggered by selection in the starting 17 only) which would put it well past our offer, significantly so, IF they were to continue on with their average number of wins per season)."

Afternoon All,

Thank you.

AWDC.
Thanks for posting this. Geez, there’s more going on behind the scenes at the club than we know... Who would have thought?

For anyone who isnt aware, username @AndWeDon'tCare in conjunction with the popcorn avatar, is a Sex Pistols reference.

"And we don't care..." is the last lyric in "Pretty Vacant" while the popcorn icon featured in the film "The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle" & was also used as a cover for their "Silly Thing" 7" single.

It also aligns nicely with the "Everyone hates Manly and we dont care" sentiment.

Last edited:
Ah you win some you lose some .... it’s not the end of the world someone else will take his opportunity
Exactly. If we lose him we WILL sign a replacement with that 250k. Maybe we have even more to spend but think that's all Hoppa is worth. I'm sure there is a decent winger out there looking for a start and playing with Des. I guarantee Funa wasn't greedy with his contract and just happy to be playing 1st grade. No room for self entitled brats in our side no matter how much potential they may have

Afternoon All,

There is an impasse with the young man and his management who, for reasons best known to my client who is acting for another club extremely interested in the young man, it appears that the young man is of the opinion that his "future worth" is nowhere near commensurate to the offer served to his management team by Manly Warringah.

The team is NOT represented by a mascot of the four legged variety, coincidentally they are targeting a half, a prop and a centre, all from the ONE club, I digress, the team interested has told the young man that he needs "match fitness" to prove to them his ability and confirm, to the best Football Director in the game at present (a Manly Warringah alumnus), their "potential."

The sheer irony of this offer is the club in question, has a fullback in great form and that position isn't being "offered" as "bait".

The young man's representative team contacted the Club to let them know of the intention to walk away because he "deserves" to be selected only to be told his training activity is "just there" and that didn't sit too well with his representative team who, to my absolute and sheer amazement informed the Club that he will show his worth "on the park".

The "Football Gods" came forward and the altar of opportunity offered the young man a chance when the Warriors came knocking very late last night requesting a four to six week loan.

An undertaking was provided by the young man's representative early this morning, that the Club will have the last right of refusal on any contract offer made to the young man (by any club including the Warriors) as well as the loan being for four weeks only, not six as sought by the Warriors.

The Club has offered a package is close to a quarter-of-a million dollars but that was knocked back as being "well short".

It would appear that this is now merely an exercise in valuing the intangible that is "talent" so the Club is very interested to see how he performs.

Perhaps the young man can crystallise the "intangible" and provide the real value that he and his family seek.

I firmly believe there are two quotes from Tom Landry that are, somwehat, indicative of this situation:

"A coach is someone who tells you what you don't want to hear, who has you see what you don't want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be."

"The quality of a man's life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence."

As always... GO THE MIGHTY SEA EAGLES!

Thankyou AWDC. If what you are saying is as it is, and I suspect, given the extent of the explanation, you know what you are talking about, it starts to make sense. Certainly we could see something was happening behind the scenes, and this was certainly one of the considered possible options, that he was being offered big money and was playing for the best option.

I consequently now understand Des's position, though it would have been nice if he had played him. I guess as supporters we are left in the dark and I think the club or someone needs to be far more transparent about what is happening, given it effects those wondering if they should support the club eg Moi.

I appreciate your information. I don't blame young Hopa for testing the market. That's just business and I appreciate the limitations the Club has. But it would be I think sensible to let us know.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4