Alan Thompson jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hello Manly fans. I was wondering if anyone can help me re a question about Alan Thompson. My aunt & uncle who are now unfortunately deceased were Manly fanatics and good friends with the Krilich's, Alan Thompson, Peter Peters and most of the Manly fraternity back in the day. As a kid I even had the privilege of playing frisbee with Alan on Narrabeen beach! She gave me a jersey which I think may have been Alan's though it's number 2. It looks legit, the Pioneer and MW logos as well as the number 2 are stitched on plastic. The brand of the jersey is "Classic" and on the label it says it's a size 42. I'd love to know if Alan ever wore the number 2. I've attached a couple pics. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg

Hi @Balmain fan, welcome to Silvertails.

Firstly, from what I can see the jersey looks to me to be a genuine 1976 player jersey.

I base that on five points...

It is the jersey style worn with advertising in 1976.
The gap between the Pioneer symbol and 'STEREO' on the back.
The positioning and size of the number.
The Pioneer symbol patch on the front (see image below).
I have a 'supporters' jersey from 1976 that had an embroidered Sea Eagle and was made by Westmont (not to say that Classic didn't make supporters jerseys at that time).

The first four points above can be confirmed by footage from the 1976 Grand Final:

Picture of Pioneer logo (front) at end of game:
PioneerLogo.JPG

Alan as a winger?

Long-serving Manly five-eighth came up through the local juniors, filling in as a winger, centre and halfback, before winning grand finals with the Sea Eagles in 1976 and 1978.

Source: Rugby League Project - Link:

Hello Manly fans. I was wondering if anyone can help me re a question about Alan Thompson. My aunt & uncle who are now unfortunately deceased were Manly fanatics and good friends with the Krilich's, Alan Thompson, Peter Peters and most of the Manly fraternity back in the day. As a kid I even had the privilege of playing frisbee with Alan on Narrabeen beach! She gave me a jersey which I think may have been Alan's though it's number 2. It looks legit, the Pioneer and MW logos as well as the number 2 are stitched on plastic. The brand of the jersey is "Classic" and on the label it says it's a size 42. I'd love to know if Alan ever wore the number 2. I've attached a couple pics. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 14327View attachment 14328
Hey BF

Alan is a director of MWRLFC (not sea Eagles as such). Send an email with the details I am sure he will be able to tell you himself. There is a email address on the website. Good Luck!

I always enjoyed watching Manly during that era and always enjoyed watching Alan Thompson play like the rest of the team, we share the same birthday @:D. I always thought he was unfairly treated when he was dumped as our coach but ever glad he is still involved with MWRLFC.

What a great jersey you have their @Balmain fan I have a similar one that I use to wear at rugby training at school. My nephew's wife has it now and wore it when we demolished the scum in the 40 nil drubbing :)

I really enjoyed watching Alan play. He was a traditional five-eighth; great vision, bullet passing, quick enough and a fantastic legs tackler.
I don't think he had a kicking game although it was not needed as we used our backline for attacking raids much more effectively than the bash'n'barge tactic of the current era of bulk beats skill.

I can tell you that during the season proper .. all first grade jerseys were collected after every game .. washed .. and handed out again on match day ... so it would be unusual, not impossible, that it is just a game jersey ... it makes it more likely to be a Grandfinal jersey ..

It would not be a lower grade jersey because they were all numbered up into the 50's ... and didn't carry the sponsor signage ...

So, unless that 2 is off-set and it is a 12 .. then Mooney or Jackson's jersey have to be favourite ..

I remember Brian Wilson (my neighbour at the time) lent me his game worn jersey, No.12, same era as the one above and I wore it the '82 Grand Final, and I copped plenty of shyte after that game.
Damn shame he wanted it back though

Stephen Lucas ( Spooky) not in here but certainly on many Facebook pages has either match worn or replicas of every jersey worn since 1947, many of his early ones are replicas but he’s been given many over the years and bought a fair few.

I’m not sure of the exact number he holds but it would be somewhere approaching 500-600.

He’s the owner of the “ Guess what Manly hates you too” banner.

He’s just been through a massive cancer battle but is currently in remission.

I can assure you he knows as much about jerseys as anyone I know so you could also try and contact him if you like.

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for the responses.
I've tried to reply to say thank you but from my end it won't let me. Anyway, my aunt who gave me the jersey was Pauline McFarlane who was married to a bloke called "Happy" (never knew his actual name) who may have been a barman at Manly Leagues. They had a daughter called Leslie who at one stage dated Peter Peters. They lived in an apartment block on Narrabeen beach. Lovely people and they loved Manly. Thanks so much again. By the way, the jersey isn't for sale at all.

If it is a 1976 Grand final jersey and it's 2 that was Tom Mooney's number, Jackson was number 5. Any footage I recall Mooney from other games was always number 2 also. So Mooney has got to be the odds on favourite.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6