AFB Interview

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member

Well he tried his best.
Can I ask one question? Will those of us who have used those terms or similar on this very forum over the past few years fess up of your own accord? Please!
Life is a learning experience and what was acceptable in one place at one time is not acceptable at another. The important thing for all of us is to learn as we go on, particularly about ways in which we are part of the problem without always being aware of it.
Time will tell if Addin's words were heartfelt or just PR spin!

Hadley and the rest of the media are just as the blame, there are really drumming this up. It's a common saying we probably don't think to much about it most of the time, I'm sure it would of been used on the field before, you see it on aussie drama tv shows and movies, you hear it all the time. 99% of the time no one is trying to put down people with disabilities, pretty sure if anyone in public saw that would give that person a flogging.

Well he tried his best.
Can I ask one question? Will those of us who have used those terms or similar on this very forum over the past few years fess up of your own accord? Please!
Life is a learning experience and what was acceptable in one place at one time is not acceptable at another. The important thing for all of us is to learn as we go on, particularly about ways in which we are part of the problem without always being aware of it.
Time will tell if Addin's words were heartfelt or just PR spin!
I honestly think he is like me a bit and used it without thinking too much into it, but now he is aware (as am I ) it might offend people. In reality, if I ever saw someone with a disability being picked on or made fun at I would always step in and stick up for them, no matter how many idiots there were or how big, that's not the Aussie way. I think he realises now what a mistake he made using those words

First of all, congratulations to the club for addressing this matter. The questions put were hard-hitting - no sugar coating them, and AFB's responses were heartfelt.

pretty sure if anyone in public saw that would give that person a flogging.
Unless they were a poof?
I recall a few years ago getting stuck into @Cameron for persistent use of the 'C' word to describe the lowest vilest thing possible, and that being intrinsically misogynist. Did Cam hate women? Of course not, but it is beyond argument that our words do carry weight and often they carry connotations that we learn as we grow up, almost unconsciously absorbing the prevailing ideology of the time. Which in hindsight we may clearly see as sexist or racist or offensive to certain groups against whom discrimination is tolerated.
I believe such language should be called out but to scapegoat someone for using it does not of itself throw light on the issues.
The issue here is its wrong and inexcusable for players to abuse the ref. That is our job as fans!
The language AFB used shows him to be an ignorant young man. But of all the critics calling for his blood, I haven't heard any really talking about all the ways in which disabled people (formerly known by terms such as AFB used as an insult to suggest stupidity) are discriminated against today in our state and country.

As an example of how words change, for many decades the Spastic Centre was a well-known charitable organisation. In 2011, according to the ABC, this organisation decided the word 'spastic' had too many negative connotations and changed its name to Cerebral Palsy Alliance.

When I grew up it was commonplace for kids to refer to people you disagreed with as retards or spaz, or various similar terms. I still heard it many times over the years from grownup workmates, working in blue collar jobs
Of course, in civilised society it became clear that was not appropriate because it suggested that stupidity was akin to disability.
I actually heard a bloke ring up talkin sport this afternoon and say it wasn't right to use the words AFB used, because it was offensive to handicapped people. In fact I think the word 'handicapped' is also frowned upon these days!!

Point being - our words are important. But people who grow up with less education - including in families with less education - are less likely to be up to date with realising ways in which their own words and deeds may be offensive or counterproductive.

So is the remedy to vilify and scapegoat those with less education?
Or to illuminate the issues?
They are two different approaches.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4