The Jurbo Journal - (just a really nice Jake thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who should be Manly's captain (from now) ?

• DCE

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Jake T

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters
In the last game against Scotland the English commentator remarked about Jake.

‘He’s a special player, he carries the ball like a front rower, he handles the ball like a half back and runs like an outside back’

It basically sums up how Jake adds value to a team.

‘Running like an outside back’ would have Turbo in stitches of laughter, however, I’d add ‘hits like a road train with a bull bar’

‘He’s a special player, he carries the ball like a front rower, he handles the ball like a half back and runs like an outside back’

‘Running like an outside back’ would have Turbo in stitches of laughter, however, I’d add ‘hits like a road train with a bull bar’
I think you’ll find he was referring to yeo

It's easy to do when you're playing sheep

If every player who ever wore a Manly jersey played with as much passion and commitment as Jake, our matches would be sold out every weekend, every year.

One can only wish for the same passion, commitment, and unity from the club itself.

Was an easy mistake to make but he was talking about Yeo...
I know this because I thought the same when I was watching the game on Kayo and, despite being a big Jake fan, my immediate thought was "WTF did he just say?"
So I rewound the play and worked out he had gone straight from calling a Jake hit up into praising Isaiah...

How I wish Jake did have those attributes.
If he was mentioned as a gutsy, whole hearted player with great defensive technique who can fill in as a set of hands - 1 off the ruck, I get it.
Yep would be a handy addition to Manly, but I get the feeling he will be a Panther the rest of his career.

How much say will Flanno have in relation to team selections ?
As Flanno is a Jake to lock fan, I wonder if Seibold has this opinion also or it will come down to wait and see ?

Jake is a world class lock .. and a world class prop ... it will depend on what style of football Seibs wants from him ...

Over the past 2 seasons he was used as a dishrag to accommodate the (imo) failed walker experience..

Give him a role .. and he will do it.

Jake is defitnely a lock, dont see him playing 80 minutes anymore which is similar to what the roosters and souths do with radley and murray. Walker was a definite failure on and off the field

2022 lock position stats from Sporting News

Jakes stats of 20 games, 2 offloads, 87 run metres + 39 tackles per game in 2022 are far from world class and his game over the last few years has not evolved IMO
I hope Seibold can get the best out of him

1. Isaah Yeo​

20 games, 4 tries, 31 tackle breaks, 11 offloads, 140 run metres + 39 tackles per game

The benchmark of lock-forwards in the competition, Isaah Yeo helped Penrith to another minor premiership and cemented himself as the best No.13 in the competition.

Among the leaders in the Dally M Medal count in the first-half of the year, Yeo was fantastic for the Panthers and averaged over 140 run metres per game in 2022.

A dual threat with ball in hand, Yeo's ability to attract defenders and give his halves more room is unmatched, while his defensive work-rate is top-class.

Yeo will no doubt be on the plane to England for this year's Rugby League World Cup and will likely beat out both Cam Murray and Patrick Carrigan for the Kangaroos starting role.

2. Jason Taumalolo​

23 games, 66 tackle breaks, 21 offloads, 151 run metres + 24 tackles per game

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

After a lean year in 2021, Jason Taumalolo was back to his rampaging best for the Cowboys this year.
The 29-year-old benefited from an influx of young talent around him in the forwards to lighten the load, along with a new voice at halfback in Chad Townsend and a coach in Todd Payten who wouldn't allow mediocrity to creep in.

Taumalolo averaged 151 run metres per game, up there with the most of any player in his position, while his tackle breaking ability and post-contact metres made him a handful for opposition defences.

3. Cameron Murray​

20 games, 3 tries, 35 tackle breaks, 35 offloads, 115 run metres + 40 tackles per game

What else can you say about this bloke?

The heart and soul of South Sydney took over the captaincy in 2022 and didn't miss a beat, averaging well over 100 run metres per game and popping more offloads than any other player in his position.

Murray's defensive work is unmatched among the other lock-forwards in the NRL, while his ball-playing ability has improved out of sight in the past 18 months.

Chalk this up as another great year for the Mascot junior.

4. Patrick Carrigan​

14 games, 21 tackle breaks, 19 offloads, 150 run metres + 32 tackles per game

What a whirlwind 2022 it was for Patrick Carrigan.

Fresh off a lengthy layoff due to an ACL injury, the 24-year-old hit the ground running for the Broncos as they surged up the ladder, averaging over 140 run metres and 30 tackles per game.

Carrigan had an impressive first Origin series for Queensland, taking out the Wally Lewis Medal as the Maroons took out the decider in dramatic fashion.

Unfortunately, his lengthy suspension towards the end of the year coincided with Brisbane sliding down the ladder and eventually miss the finals.

5. Ryan Matterson​

19 games, 4 tries, 4 linebreaks, 37 offloads, 153 run metres + 29 tackles per game

While he won't receive the same amount of accolades as some of his Eels teammates, Ryan Matterson had a fantastic year as he made the transition into a full-time middle-forward.

The 27-year-old proved himself to be an offloading machine and created plenty of second-phase opportunities for Parramatta, but also had an extremely high work-rate with the ball, averaging more run metres per game than most players on this list.

Matterson was rewarded for his form with a State of Origin debut for NSW, and will no doubt factor in Brad Fittler's plans for future series.

6. Victor Radley​

18 games, 14 tackle breaks, 112 run metres + 31 tackles per game

In somewhat of a stop-start year for Victor Radley, his form in the Roosters run into the finals was exceptional and shot him into the top-half of this list.

The local junior brought back the 'inflictor' moniker as the Tricolours won nine-straight games to book a finals berth, while his link play in the middle of the field allowed Luke Keary, James Tedesco and Joey Manu to work their magic.

Radley also had a higher work-rate than many would have expected, averaging well over 100 run metres per game, and shocked the rugby league world when he announced he would represent England in this year's World Cup.

7. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui​

22 games, 4 tries, 61 tackle breaks, 22 offloads, 160 run metres + 30 tackles per game

While it was an overall disappointing year for the Titans, it's hard to fault the efforts of captain Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

The QLD Origin star finished in the top five for post-contact metres across the NRL, made 60 tackle breaks and was continually the Gold Coast's most consistent performer.

Fa'asuamaleaui will only grow into the leadership role as his career progresses, but he needs some help around him at the Titans.

8. Brandon Smith​

20 games, 3 tries, 3 linebreak assists, 6 offloads, 97 run metres + 23 tackles per game

Although he has designs to play hooker long-term and will move to Bondi to make it happen, Brandon Smith is a quality lock-forward.

The 26-year-old produced another quality year for the Storm, but was forced to play a plethora of positions and come off the bench for a lot of the season.

Smith was at his best when using his speed and power through the ruck, and came alive late in Melbourne's campaign with some strong performances.

9. Dale Finucane​

15 games, 11 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 96 run metres + 28 tackles per game

In his first year at the Sharks, Dale Finucane added a heap to the club both on and off the field.

After spending a lengthy period in a highly-successful Storm system, the 30-year-old punched out a good year with just shy of 100 run metres and 28 tackles per game.

Finucane might not have the most breathtaking stats, but his influence on the Cronulla outfit is undeniable.

10. Joe Ofahengaue​

24 games, 57 tackle breaks, 33 offloads, 122 run metres + 37 tackles per game

While it was a disappointing year as a whole for the Tigers, Joe Ofahengaue had one of the better years of his NRL career.

The 26-year-old played every game for the club and his stats paint the picture of a player who gave his all despite poor results and a wooden spoon.

Ofahengaue broke an impressive 41 tackles and produced 30 offloads, going with his high work-rate in the middle of the field, and was probably the side's best player in 2022.

11. Adam Elliott​

23 games, 3 linebreaks, 21 offloads, 103 run metres + 27 tackles per game

In what was a year of retribution for the former Bulldog, Adam Elliott had a fantastic campaign for the Raiders and became one of the most important players.

After being sacked by his former club last year due to off-field incidents, the 27-year-old added a point of difference in the middle of the field and complimented the power game of Joseph Tapine and Josh Papalii.

After playing all but one game for the Raiders, Elliott will now head to Newcastle in 2023 and leaving a huge hole in the Green Machine's pack.

12. Jack de Belin​

24 games, 5 tries, 30 tackle breaks, 18 offloads, 99 run metres + 32 tackles per game

In his first full season back in the NRL, Jack de Belin had a solid campaign for the Dragons despite their failure to make the finals.

The 31-year-old is still a rock in defence, operating at over 95 per-cent tackle efficiency, but his work in attack is not what it once was. That can be put down to his role being changed since returning to first grade, with the former NSW star forced to play as a more traditional middle-forward as opposed to a ball-player at times this year.

13. Josh Curran​

18 games, 4 tries, 23 tackle breaks, 13 offloads, 83 run metres + 35 tackles per game

A season that started with real promise and talks of a shock Origin debut, Josh Curran did fall off somewhat later in the campaign for the Warriors.

That being said, this was easily the best and most consistent football we have seen from the 23-year-old in his early career.

Curran averaged over 80 run metres per game and defended his backside off for the Warriors - something they desperately need in the middle of the park.

14. Jake Trbojevic​

20 games, 2 offloads, 87 run metres + 39 tackles per game

He might be one of the most likeable players in the competition, but Jake Trbojevic offered very little to the Manly side this year.

With his brother sidelined for the majority of the season with a shoulder injury, Jake and his Sea Eagles teammates struggled on the field. The lock-forward produced a lowly two offloads all year, while his inability to bend the line puts him well behind the elite locks in the NRL.

Trbojevic's best game of the year came in Game II of the State of Origin series, with his impact for Manly nowhere near the level he produced for the Blues.

15. Josh Jackson​

23 games, 15 offloads, 78 run metres + 39 tackles per game

While he has been a great servant for Canterbury, Josh Jackson is not the player he once was.

The 31-year-old is still a defensive workhorse, averaging 39 tackles per game this year, his impact with ball in hand is minimal.

Jackson is still an important part of the Bulldogs rebuild due to his leadership and understanding of the club's DNA, but his days of being a game-winner are behind him.

16. Kurt Mann​

11 games, 4 offloads, 16 tackle breaks, 77 run metres + 32 tackles per game

A disrupted campaign for Kurt Mann, who struggled with form and injury like many of his Newcastle teammates.

The 29-year-old adds spark in the middle of the field for the Knights, and has the ball-playing ability to make the No.13 role his own long-term.

His off-field dramas towards the end of the year with Kalyn Ponga didn't help his cause.

Last edited:
Jake is number one in one stat.

He is the highest paid out of all the locks in the list.

Glad he is taking unders - not.
Jake has earned his high paid contract in his early years

but recently he has not lived up to it

Jakes game has not evolved .

He has become a one dimensional and predictable tackling machine

I hope Seibold can get more out of him

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4