A players' market value?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
"NRL won't register a contract that doesn't reflect a players' market value."

If a player is happy to sign with a club for less money what gives the NRL the right not to register his contract.

It shouldn't matter if you've played one season or 10 seasons at a particular club. They still have the opportunity to go elsewhere for more money.

The player is happy, the club is happy and so are the fans.

I wonder if it will ever get to the point where the NRL could force a player to move to another club for more money? Lets say a weaker club (one that continuously finishes around 12th each season) has some cash to spend. They desperately need a quality halfback, so they offer DCE 1.3 million a year for 3 years. Daly wants to remain at Manly for say, 950k. I hope we would never see a time whee the NRL would say that in the best interest of the competition and the player, you must leave Manly or we won't register your contract.

All exaggeration I know, but if they won't register a player now days for LESS than his "Market value", there's not much stopping them from going the other way and enforcing them to take deals with other clubs for more money. Then, where does the loyalty card fall I wonder??

No one seen the sarcasm?.......Jeeez, we're slipping around here. lol I was trying to show it from another angle. (sigh)

The Players Association needs to step in here and demand a quantifiable, objective points/dollar value per attribute from the NRL. :idea:

This must also discount for length at a Club, years since active representative games, years since GF games , games played per season to discount for injury prone Players etc.

There are a finite number of attributes, so its amazing that this hasn't been detailed yet.

When the NRL came up with a value for Folau, how did they do it :huh:

It really sounds like that Gifty is gone….not from him wanting to go for more money, more because of this stupid NRL rule. If this is the case, then Manly bloody well better lock up Buhrer, Hiku and give DCE and Foz decent upgrades.

I'd love the NRL to come out and say what they consider to be Gift's market value. Over 30, history of injuries the last few years, not a current rep player and wouldn't be rated in the top 8/9 backrowers at the moment. (SBW, Gallen, Lewis, Wato, Thaiday, Myles, Bird, Hoffman, Cordner). If they say his market value is 600K then Manly should be demanding to know how much all these players are being paid. Maybe the value of backrowers has been inflated by the Dogs inspired decision to pay Williams over 600K.
PS. I'm not saying I would swap most of these players for Gift who should be allowed to stay at Manly as long as he likes. Manly needs to put pressure on Greenturd over the long service discounts. He has been quoted they are coming in but when?

HappilyManly said:
The Players Association needs to step in here and demand a quantifiable, objective points/dollar value per attribute from the NRL. :idea:

This must also discount for length at a Club, years since active representative games, years since GF games , games played per season to discount for injury prone Players etc.

There are a finite number of attributes, so its amazing that this hasn't been detailed yet.

When the NRL came up with a value for Folau, how did they do it :huh:

Define active representative games

Active-Player was selected in the previous season to the new Contract. If they could not due to injury or suspension, I would still class them as active rep Players.

Folau played 3 years prior, so he was presumably handicapped by the assumption that he would be a rep quality Player when he returned.

Killer is also classed as a Rep Player, yet he choses to forfeit that income, so he loses out twice. Once by the Salary Cap loading his minimum contract value and secondly by not partaking, thus not earning the fees.

As the NRL allow for a Player to withdraw from selection, their value should reflect this.

The cap is stupid. Take the George Rose case for example. His full $ value to the Manly club wasn't just what he could do as a prop on the field, but what he brought to the club's marketing, image and off field work. Same as Wolfie. They bring a lot of off field value to what makes a club.

But if Manly want to pay Rose, Wolfie or Gift for what they bring to Manly on and off the field, the full amount goes on the cap. It should just be an amount based on their playing contribution. The rest shouldn't count under the cap.

Let's also not forget the Dragons won a grand final with Gasnier who was way under market value when the NRL let his contract be registered when he came back from France.

And if Manly want to use Beaver what is his market value? It isn't $1.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6