A new Walters making a name for himself

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and in the case of Billy Walters, this age old adage couldn't be any more true.

Billy is tearing it up in the Intrust Super Cup for the Easts Tigers, sitting comfortably in the top five point scorers for the competition and helping Easts cement themselves as a premiership threat.

The son of Broncos legend and Queensland Maroons coach Kevin Walters is a lively half just like his dad, with the 22-year-old's outstanding passing game seeing him excel in his second year in the competition.

Billy spoke exclusively to NRL.com ahead of the Tigers' away clash against the Sunshine Coast Falcons on Saturday, and he said although Kevin was a huge inspiration to him as a player, it's his work as a dad that really made him aspire to be like him.

"He's been a huge influence for me," Billy said.

"He's good to talk to after my games and he does get around to watching a fair bit of my season. He gives me really good pointers wherever he can.

"It's good to just have him watching as a dad, rather than the Kevvie Walters that everyone knows him as.

"Even when he was doing his assistant coaching in Melbourne he would come back to Brisbane every two weeks and see some of my games."

Billy suffered a knock to the leg in Easts' 20-12 Round 13 loss to the Burleigh Bears.

He thought it was just a cork and continued to walk on it, but scans have revealed a small fracture that will sideline him for four weeks.

The star five-eighth is taking the time off to reflect on his year and see where he has improved in 2016.

"I've matured a lot this year. I'm in the starting side this year after coming off the bench in 2015 and that's helped my confidence a lot," he said.

"I'm feeling pretty comfortable in the Intrust Super Cup.

"It's really good because I got to do the pre-season down in Melbourne with the Storm and that helped me a lot."

The Marist College Ashgrove graduate insists it was just pre-season work, dismissing recent reports that NRL clubs have already inquired about his services.

Despite this, Billy is sure to be hot property for NRL clubs in the near future, with his pre-season work in Melbourne helping him take his game to another level.

He said he was just enjoying his time at Easts and is fully focused on helping the Tigers go as far into the competition as possible.

"I haven't had NRL interest. There was a bit of a beat up article a couple of weeks ago that said I had but that wasn't true," he said.

"I'm happy playing Queensland Cup. My goal for this year is to play a full year in the competition.

"In 2015 I only started playing halfway through the year and that was off the bench. So far it's going well and I'm really enjoying it."

http://www.nrl.com/a-new-walters-making-a-name-for-himself/tabid/10874/newsid/98183/default.aspx

Billy will probably end up in Melbourne. Bloody Bellamy..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6