Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A Junior .. by any other name .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
I am often interested in claims of certain players being Manly "juniors" ... For example ... is JHW a Manly junior .. or just a blow-in ..

As this junior tag conjures up emotive issues of ownership, entitlement, and protectionism, I feel it is an area that needs clarification and a standardised criteria for membership.

Some like @Mark from Brisbane call JHW a local junior, I view him as a temporary residents Visa at best ... ... but others view Fainu and Guacamole as imports ....

For mine, a local junior must have played local age footy, and not just parachuted into an u/16's rep team from the other side of the spit bridge .. or played more than just a couple of seasons u/20's ..

Mark from Brisbane

โ€œ Triggered Boomerโ€
Premium Member
I am often interested in claims of certain players being Manly "juniors" ... For example ... is JHW a Manly junior .. or just a blow-in ..

As this junior tag conjures up emotive issues of ownership, entitlement, and protectionism, I feel it is an area that needs clarification and a standardised criteria for membership.

Some like @Mark from Brisbane call JHW a local junior, I view him as a temporary residents Visa at best ... ... but others view Fainu and Guacamole as imports ....

For mine, a local junior must have played local age footy, and not just parachuted into an u/16's rep team from the other side of the spit bridge .. or played more than just a couple of seasons u/20's ..
Fair point!!!

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Super Coach Member
A true junior should live in the area and have played local club footy.

There was plenty of controversy about the Fultons bussing in loads of juniors to bolster the rep ranks a few seasons ago wasn't there ?

double hoops

The line could be set at born in a certain area. Why not conceived in a certain area. Nahh.

I'm happy to call a local junior anyone who plays anything lower than Ressies for the club.

Last edited:

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Live in the area and play their junior footy in the MW district then they are juniors. Come into the grades i.e Harold Matt's ,SG Ball but from other areas then they're import juniors.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
If they originate from a local club then a true local junior.

if they join manly at 15 from scone for example (cust) then I still think of them as junior system players.
Several classifications maybe ... a local junior with an asterisk ... and we only get moderately pissed off and only half abuse Manly for letting their .. local juniors* .. go ..

Last edited:

manlyfan76

Parra Trolls are the best.
Premium Member
If they play senior footy but are still eligible for under 21's are they seniors or juniors?

globaleagle

stay tuned
Staff member
Premium Member

Why are you picking on jwh? Must he suffer your slings and arrows because of his outrageous fortune?

ftr - I thought jwh was considered a manly Jr. Seems to be the accepted view but I don't even know what his junior days were like.

I dunno... lets be inclusive. the world needs more inclusivity.

manly al

Premium Member
Guess that it would depend also how long someone played at a specific junior club , taking into account that many families are occasionally on the move , location wise and during a kid "s junior playing years . Probably would officially be denoted where someone actually played their first junior footy , just like the [ sometimes vague ] S O O guidelines .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Why are you picking on jwh? Must he suffer your slings and arrows because of his outrageous fortune?

ftr - I thought jwh was considered a manly Jr. Seems to be the accepted view but I don't even know what his junior days were like.

I dunno... lets be inclusive. the world needs more inclusivity.
JHW was a much heralded signing from Northern Suburbs Rugby ... several clubs were in a bidding war for him .. he came here for a couple of years .. played U/20's and a bit of firsts and then followed the money ...

If your wishy washy, tree hugging, weed smoking organic and sustainable inclusivity considers that a local junior ... you can take it and .. " get thee to a nunnery "

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
The line could be set at born is a certain area. Why not conceived in a certain area. Nahh.

I'm happy to call a local junior anyone who plays anything lower than Ressies for the club.
Haha, conceived.
I can just see the Fox lab putting that in the players stats summary for Vossy to recite.
" Well here comes Manlys next big thing....Billy Nxt-big-thung, and heโ€™s a 100% Manly junior. Letโ€™s go to the Fox lab boys where they have the recording of Billy senior about to conceive with Mrs Billy on the sand dunes of Dee Why beach, one sultry summers night 18 years ago.....roll audio"........
Come said the boy
letโ€˜s go to the sand
letโ€™s do what we wanna do
let me be a man for you.

Cโ€™mon Blocker, Brandy, sing the chorus with me and all the viewers out there.....
Ho-oh-oh-oh
Ho-oh-oh-oh
Ho-oh-oh-oh
Ho-oh-oh-oh

* ok enough now. Youโ€™ve milked it dry.

ManlyTragic

Once a manly player hands in their manly jersey, they are no longer manly, they have denounced all their manly rights, they have become a foreigner!

just sayin!

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Interesting topic. By this definition, who are bona fide Manly juniors debuting in the past 5-10 years who made it to NRL level?

Jake, Tom and Ben Trbojevic*
Darcy, Freddy and Joey Lussick
William, Jamil and Albert Hopoate
Cooper and Jack Johns (do they count?)
Sam Verrills
Clint Gutherson
Brad Parker
Liam Knight

Any other big omissions?

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder