A couple of concerns without the nit picking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

WAMF

Bencher
Ok, Parra are in seriously deep trouble on the recruitment front. They signed the ex Bronco’s recruitment mgr a few yrs back but that would appear to not be working out.
As it stands, the eels are only using around 2/3rds of their salary cap this year and will have even more to throw around for next season, so they literally have money to burn and if you’re an off contract player in their sights, you could just about name your price to the blue and gold at this point in time.
If my memory serves me correctly, they have made a play in the last 12 mths for Cooper Cronk, Quaide Cooper, Kieran Foran, Chris Sandow, Tom Symmonds and a few others.
They managed to sign Casey Maguire, Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira, big Carl and of course, Renni Maitua. Only 2 of those players are in 1st grade. They’ve lost Tahu this season and now Joel Reddy is ready to walk (no pun intended) so they will be even bigger cashed up bogans for next season.

I am concerned about a couple of things –
1) Their ability to easily outbid us for Hoppa.
2) By becoming increasingly desperate with their offers, even if he’s not interested in joining the eels, they still ultimately raise Hoppa’s expectations of what Manly should have to pay for his services. Good for Hoppa, not the best for Manly.

However, what concerns me the most is that their recruitment and retention ability took a massive nose dive the moment that Crusher left the eels to come back to the Sea Eagles.
They are missing out on players left right and centre, so whatever they are doing at present is not working for them.
My fear (bigger then any one player leaving) is that Parra will launch a ‘can’t say no to that’ type of offer, to lure Crusher back.
I would hate to see this happen but I can’t see the eels dragging themselves out of the ditch without him.

Does anyone know how long Crusher has remaining on his Sea Eagles contract? I really hope he is signed for many years to come.
Anyone else share this concern?

Fitzgerald is no longer there.
How about if they offered him all the tea from China and Sri Lanka and even threw in Kamal?

I don't fear losing Crusher at all. Always seemed a loyal sort of bloke to me until that loyalty is repaid in the way it was by Fitzgerald.

I would say he is here until he retires. He also seems the sort of bloke to me that wouldn't want to go elsewhere and not be a part of what he has built. Crusher has built us a solid base of youngsters and I bet he wouldn't be too enthused about going elsewhere and not being a part of their succes

I think Crusher is aa safe bet at Manly.

My concern is now apart from having to get some players names on contracts we have to find a CEO also.

We really need to lock in some players.
The player roundabout goes off early now and the "good buys" arent on there for long.

I reckon apart from parra theer couldbe a few more cashed up teams. Bulldogs seem to have a bottomless pit, Raiders might have a clean out...as might the Panthers

Funny how parra are offering big money to the Sandow's, Symonds, SKD's etc and they are all knocking them backl.

Thay alone says that everyone knows that Parra stink and no-one wants to play for them no matter how much they offer.

I just don't think they have a plan. I think Kearney will be a good coach, but he needs to lay out his plan for the club and team over the next 5 years and then he might attract more players

I know RL players are portrayed as a mercenary bunch, but there is more than a paycheck to making a decision where to play. There's the lifestyle, familiarity with surroundings, proximity to friends and relatives, playing with friends - all of which weigh against Hoppa moving. Then there is the prospect of playing in a strong team with a chance to win the comp, and under a good coach. Apart from this last point I don;t think Parramatta have a hope. That's not to say that a team like St George, or even Newcastle couldn't entice him for the latter two reasons. I'd be more worried about them then Parra.

For those who have read Beavers book and the chapter where he talks about the big money offer from Parramatta. He said right from the start he was never going to leave Manly and I think that will be the same for any Manly junior.

I think more than just Crusher alone, it is the combination of Crusher and Dessie. They seem have a great understanding of each other in what they need to put a champion team together. If we ever lost Dessie to another team (god forbid) I wouldn't be surprised if Crusher went along with him. However I don't see that happening any time too soon.

lismore_fan said:
tookey said:
Funny how parra are offering big money to the Sandow's, Symonds, SKD's etc

Wow! Is there more than one of each? Brothers perhaps?

Yes just like we have the Stewart brothers, Foran brothers, Hopoate brothers and the Williams sisters.

Ralphie said:
For those who have read Beavers book and the chapter where he talks about the big money offer from Parramatta. He said right from the start he was never going to leave Manly and I think that will be the same for any Manly junior.

Just because Beaver wanted to be a 'One Team Player' doesn't mean every manly junior will follow in his footsteps.

MissKate said:
I think more than just Crusher alone, it is the combination of Crusher and Dessie. They seem have a great understanding of each other in what they need to put a champion team together. If we ever lost Dessie to another team (god forbid) I wouldn't be surprised if Crusher went along with him. However I don't see that happening any time too soon.

I couldn't agree more Kate.

Crusher won't go without Des and vice versa.

They have a very strong bond between them.

Seaeagle63 said:
Ralphie said:

Just because Beaver wanted to be a 'One Team Player' doesn't mean every manly junior will follow in his footsteps.

I'm not trying to be smart here, but I would love to know how many Manly juniors have left the club when we wanted to keep them and of those who did how successful were they at their new club.

The latest article on nrl.com talks about wanting to keep Des and Hoppa. Crusher said despite the interest from other clubs we will be in the mix and will do all we can to keep Hoppa.

Kinda funny that the Eels cut Yow Yeh. They are the premiers at cutting talent destined for a green and gold jumper.

torana355 said:
The latest article on nrl.com talks about wanting to keep Des and Hoppa. Crusher said despite the interest from other clubs we will be in the mix and will do all we can to keep Hoppa.

That does not sound like they are as confident as they were a few weeks back.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6