A beat-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I'm noticing that many games are being promoted by focussing on the 'bitter hatred' between both clubs. It reached silly proportions last week when we played the Tigers and the talking point was a charity cricket match.
This morning I hear on radio that the match with the Roosters will explode because "these clubs don;t like one another".
And again in this morning's Australian; apparently Illawarra and The Tigers have a fierce rivalry... "they don't necessarily like one another," said Dean Young.

What a beat up. What two clubs DO like one another?

Good point. All part of the hyperbole of journalists.

Funnily enough, for those supporters under 50 there is no great hatred of Manly either.

However it suits the old hacks like Masters, Ryan, Gould and co to refer back to the good old days when Manly recruitment drives secured players from Souths and the Magpies. It was the early 70s and 80s when this happened - nearly 40 years ago!!!

Since then every club has done the same thing and more, splashing cash around like Monopoly money but these morons do not have enough imagination to move on and find some fresh news. Instead they repeat hackney cliches and live in the past. No wonder they need to tap phones to develop a real story!!!

The stuff between us and the Tigers was spot on though, but wasn't to do with the cricket match

Our 2 matches with them last season had a lot of controversey in them, The Rose sin binning in Round 1 fuelled the fire and then the Farah dive poured petrol on it

Kiwi Eagle said:
The stuff between us and the Tigers was spot on though, but wasn't to do with the cricket match

Our 2 matches with them last season had a lot of controversey in them, The Rose sin binning in Round 1 fuelled the fire and then the Farah dive poured petrol on it

Fair enough. But what about our supposed feud with Easts, or Illawarra V Tigers' supposed hatred for one another?

Historically our greatest rivals have been Souths (1960s), Wests - Fibros (1970s), and Parramatta (1980s)
Are there really any recently? I guess Balmain-Wests could be considered a carry-over from the fibro days . . . Perhaps Melbourne?

The Newcastle and Melbourne "rivalries" have got a bit of air time. It seems that every team that has played another team in a grand final at some point in time has a massive rivalry. You could say we have a rivalry with Cronulla, the Gfs in the 70s weren't just grand finals, they were bloodbaths, add to that the battle of the beaches and also the fact that whether you support league or not, if you live on the northern beaches you hate shirefolk. We also had a rivalry with Norths but now that they are dead it's all just good memories for us and bitterness for them (not just the NE debacle but the fact we owned them at NS Oval).

The Who said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Fair enough. But what about our supposed feud with Easts, or Illawarra V Tigers' supposed hatred for one another?

Historically our greatest rivals have been Souths (1960s), Wests - Fibros (1970s), and Parramatta (1980s)
Are there really any recently? I guess Balmain-Wests could be considered a carry-over from the fibro days . . . Perhaps Melbourne?

I don't know about hatred between Saints and Tigers, but there would be a definite rivalry there after the 05 and 10 GF qualifiers

Big games are where a lot of these rivalries tend to come from.

players form differnet clubs all hug each other after the game and hang out at Ibrahims nightclubs. Its all brotherhood.

As a rule the team I hate the most is our opposition on any given week. I don't mind the Warriors and have a soft spot for the Faiders, but that doesn't mean I don't feel like crap if they beat us. I think most fans feel the same way. It means your emotionally invested in your team and its really the only way to support a team, riding the highs & lows. If you don't get upset after a loss, how can you truley feel how great it is after a win?

As for the media beat up. I mean what else can you really expect them to write? Every contest has some bit of controversy along the journey which fans can get into.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4