A ‘Cherry’ to be Manly’s best ever number 7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/13/a-cherry-to-be-manlys-best-ever-number-7/

NRL Rookie of the Year, Daly Cherry-Evans, is the form halfback of the six teams left in the 2011 edition of the competition, and his giant progress this year has him, with Brett Stewart, as the Sea Eagles’ most valuable player.
He is certainly the hardest to replace.
The concern for analysts prior to round one was how long would this frail kid from Queensland last deep into the gruelling 26 rounds of the toughest competition in the world.
He has thrived on the hard training and the heavy tackles. In fact, the more he plays the better he seems to get.
We always knew he could play, but since the suspension of his ‘minder’ Glenn Stewart, he has taken on the added responsibility and risen to a new level.
When the Sea Eagles played the Broncos two weeks ago, he took the field without Stewart, Glenn’s brother Brett, and his 5/8th partner Kieran Foran, at his side.
These three guys represent the brains trust of the Sea Eagles, but importantly are the playmakers.
You could forgive Cherry-Evans if he was lost or intimidated, but he stepped up and took ownership of the team, to give them a fighting chance against a hot Broncos team.
The following week against the Cowboys, he had the services of Brett Stewart and Foran, but it was Cherry-Evans, who ignited the team, when they were trailing the Jonathan Thurston-inspired North Queenslanders.
He made the difference when it was most needed.
Not only is he a future Maroon and Australian number 7, but a future captain.
Channel Nine’s Peter Stirling described his pivot partner Kieran Foran as “the game’s best young player.” Since that statement, Cherry-Evans has not only caught Foran, but gone past him.
He does not seem to have a weakness. He is a good talker and organiser, possesses a great long and short tactical kicking game, bust tackles easily and rates highly among halfbacks for missed tackles, but perhaps his most valuable asset is his ability to read the game well and make the right decisions.
All this is great news for the Sea Eagles except they may not be able to afford to hang on to him.
Cherry-Evans is coached by the club’s two greatest halfbacks in Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey, and they have done such a great job with their young prodigy that if he re-signs, he will claim their mantle in the best Sea Eagle team.

In 35 years of going to Brookie I certainly havent seen such a composed and talented rookie. I miss not having the three grades play, as that afforded us the pleasure of spoting the next Star.
When Daly was the 20's half we were all amazed how effective he was for such a skinny kid :) Then we lost to the Sc Eagles.

Great to see him shine in the Big League.
Surprisde not to see the 'Manly Men Love Cherry' banner yet, the Beaver version always made the broadcast :p

The writer is probably saying that DCE's stocks will be astronomical and we may not be able to afford him under the cap.

HappilyManly said:
In 35 years of going to Brookie I certainly havent seen such a composed and talented rookie. I miss not having the three grades play, as that afforded us the pleasure of spoting the next Star.
When Daly was the 20's half we were all amazed how effective he was for such a skinny kid :) Then we lost to the Sc Eagles.

Great to see him shine in the Big League.
Surprisde not to see the 'Manly Men Love Cherry' banner yet, the Beaver version always made the broadcast :p

Who at the time were our reserve grade team

DCE was lost to those at Brookie was my point. Even now, having the Reserves play seperate from the other two grades, disadvantages them IMO.

Ive already posted about the fact DCE and Foran will soon be commanding enough money to make it difficult for us to keep them, either that or we will have to lose some salary cap in other areas. Im hoping the new TV deal can help us keep everyone.

I think that is when Foran and DCE will be worth a motza. Eventually we will need to lose some talent in other positions if we want to keep them both.

Ceagle said:
Lyon, Watmough, Gift and Snake may be close to leaving the club around 2014 imo.

Agreed, by the time we will really have to fork out to keep DCE and Foz we will lose others. Probably the reason why Robbo and Rodders are going.

It's hard to comprehend just how good this kid will be, and how lucky we are to have him. Even if he never improves on where he is now he will still be good enough. He will improve though, you can just tell he will. All credit must go to Des and Crusher and both must be kept for as long as we can. The fact Des has never won a Dally M coach of the year is beyond a joke.

It makes you wonder how many good players never get discovered

Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans added the RLPA players' rookie of the year award September 13, 2011

Congrats, many more to come Im sure!

He's quickly becoming my favourite player. I have supported this team for 40 years and I believe he will become our greatest ever halfback.

He must be the tallest halfback we've had.
He's not a typical half; doesn't have blinding speed but has got everything else, including outstanding defence.
I agree, he could be our finest, and we've had plenty of beauties.

One of the things I am picking up is that most of the current players are publicly stating they want to stay with the club which is encouraging. This group seems to be so tight that some may even chose to forgo part of their pay packets to simply stay together as a group to create a dynasty on the peninsula, well I certainly hope so :)

Daniel said:
It makes you wonder how many good players never get discovered

I seen two kids grow up, just two years younger than me.

They were both always destined to be either top line league players or cricketers. Never any doubt these were not ordinary "top level" child sportsmen, but elite. Hard to split who was better growing up

One went to the Raiders the other to the Magpies.

One went onto to captain NSW and Australia the other went close to being picked for origin around 1992 or 93 according to the papers at the time, but in the end played around 150 NRL matches.

Who knows whether it was luck, the club they went to or just having their talents developed to maximum potential or a combination of all the above that seen one achieve much more than the other.

I am sure of one thing the guy who was the 'superstar" league player would almost certainly played cricket for Australia.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6