6th tackle options

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
diabolical

Dont want to be too negative. There were some good signs. The big men a ripping in. Wright and williame going well. Jamie b on fire but sheesh. We will not trouble the top signs as game management seems lost to us. So far we are all about effort and some skill, but lack the smarts.

Lyon helps a lot . Cherry is trying hard but we dont seem to have a plan or be calm or patient enough to execute it.

We will do parra next week and keep the dream alive though. And thats a good thing

I thought we were quite patient early on. Agree though there were some ordinary ends to sets. I guess yesterday wasn't a great measure tho as we only played for 50mins. Lyon out doesn't help.

Can you remind me of the last time we actually looked clinical in attack consistently for a whole 80 minutes. It'd have to be a while now (5+ years) that I felt if we got into the opposition red zone that we would control the play, work a set to get a try or at least a repeat set. For some reason we have always seemed to struggle inside that 20m zone. It might be because of our over reliance on the Snake sweep play and his drop in form, but we just never seem to be working a plan. So many wasted tackles on useless hit up plays or people dancing around hoping something happens. No one seems to have got the memo about red zone attacking structure.

This is one area that DCE hasn't matured in yet, his ability to control a game and run the attack with purpose and intent.

In my opinion DCE's two weakest areas are closing out a tight game, and 6th tackle option in opponents 20.

When Foran and Lyon were 5/8 they shared the load, but Walker is of no use in this department.

Can you remind me of the last time we actually looked clinical in attack consistently for a whole 80 minutes. It'd have to be a while now (5+ years) that I felt if we got into the opposition red zone that we would control the play, work a set to get a try or at least a repeat set. For some reason we have always seemed to struggle inside that 20m zone. It might be because of our over reliance on the Snake sweep play and his drop in form, but we just never seem to be working a plan. So many wasted tackles on useless hit up plays or people dancing around hoping something happens. No one seems to have got the memo about red zone attacking structure.

This is one area that DCE hasn't matured in yet, his ability to control a game and run the attack with purpose and intent.

the last time Lyon played 5/8 for a season and only in the finals series

At most we have two real digs at a team when we get a set in their 22. The rest of the time we are just hitting it up the guts with no real intent to try and draw players in to create space for the next tackle. Would like to see us spin it wide earlier in the set with forwards in motion and use inside balls on occasion to keep to keep the defence guessing and create space for the outside men. At the moment it looks like we only want to attack on the 5th or 6th.

At most we have two real digs at a team when we get a set in their 22. The rest of the time we are just hitting it up the guts with no real intent to try and draw players in to create space for the next tackle. Would like to see us spin it wide earlier in the set with forwards in motion and use inside balls on occasion to keep to keep the defence guessing and create space for the outside men. At the moment it looks like we only want to attack on the 5th or 6th.
Agree feathered friend . We are too predictable . Over to you Trent Barrett .

DCE has to improve in his set finish. Last 30 minutes was littered with poor options on the last. Before he is compared to cronk or Thurston that must improve. He has a pack getting consistent go forward now so no more excuses. It's true that a quality 5/8 is really urgent for next season

The last tackle options are a massive worry.

Bombs not going high enough. Kicking into the legs of defenders. Getting caught with the ball.

Walker is never going to be a 6. And DCE has done some good things but he's done some dumb thing on the last as well.

Look at how the other marquee players control a game. As much as I wish I could say differently, DCE is not at that level right now.

Did we force any repeat sets yesterday ? I'm struggling to remember one.

Can you remind me of the last time we actually looked clinical in attack consistently for a whole 80 minutes.

2013 maybe? Maybe early 2014. Since then though.....glimpses of it with the occasional 50 minute effort like yesterday against the Knights, but we haven't been an 80 minute team for a while.

An observation this year with the exception of Lyon, too many times our halves are getting tackled on the 5th, even Api is guilty of this.
Fix this and the options open up.

An observation this year with the exception of Lyon, too many times our halves are getting tackled on the 5th, even Api is guilty of this.
Fix this and the options open up.

Too flat too often. With the defence allowed to leave early they are killing themselves

Bad service from dummy half also plays its part. Api's passing games really went downhill after the 50th minute mark, about the same time we started playing poorly. The amount of passes that he through high was unacceptable He also failed to find a screaming DCE on more than one occasion giving the ball to forwards in the attacking zone. One play in particular DCE was asking for the ball 10meters out on the left hand side when TT charged into to ball on the short side. The run was telegraphed the pass was ordinary and the play totally broke down. I still think that Parcell when fully fit will form a much better combo with the halves as he reads numbers better and maybe then can isolate sloppy markers and defenders.

Side to side footy does not work either are you need the forwards running up the guts to compress the defense before spreading it wide.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7